21777 Views, 212 Replies

You gotta try visibility-add-eng-v1.1

Ok, the instructions aren't the clearest, however, when you get the hang of
it you'll love it. Try to make my valve (attached) without using this lisp
routine, you'll spend 10X longer.

Here are the steps I figured out:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elements:
Lines, arcs, splines, attributes, text, etc.

1) Place all the elements. The location doesn't matter at first, so make
them easy to select by not stacking things on top of each other.

2) Add all the parameters/actions you want - DO NOT add any visibility
states or lookups yet. Make sure your actions affect the things you want,
and don't affect the things you don't want them to.

3) Load visibility-add-eng.lsp.

4) Add a visibility parameter using (visibility_add). Rename the parameter
accordingly.

5) Set this new visibility parameter active using (visibility-up). There is
a little problem with the program here. When you have one visibility
parameter active and you set a new one active, it gets hung up. Use the
visibility state pulldown and select a state. Note the command line will
ask you for a visibility state. Type ? to see those available, then type in
any name you want.

6) Add the states to the list of visibilities - DO NOT change the visibility
of anything yet.

7) Using (element-sel-current-del) select all the elements you do not want
to be affected when you change this particular visibility state.
For example: If I'm working on the "actuator" visibility states, I don't
want my valve type to change if a person wants to use a different actuator,
therefore, I will select every element that is not an actuator.

8) Now you can make elements visible or invisible in the states you've
defined. Do not bother changing the visibility of the elements you've
removed.
NOTE: if you draw a new object or copy something, it will not be removed
from any visibility sets.

9) Repeat steps 4 thru 8.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not list all the functions in this routine. Many I don't even know
how to use yet, or why.

Todd
212 REPLIES 212
Message 61 of 213
rapidcad
in reply to: peter_m.

I took a look at what you sent me and gave it a test to see if I could add MVP's. I don't think in any way that this is what you are after, but I really have to get a lot of work done today, so I can't do more than prove that the lisp functions fine. I took your pre-table block and added some view parameters and created a default/ master one too (i do this in a ll my blocks). Although I'm sure it does not do what you are after, it does prove the MVP works in this block. If you empty the table of data as the tip I posted, you could add MVP's to that block too, I'm sure. Then at the end, repopulate the block table and test.

HTH.

Ron

ADN CAD Developer/Operator
Message 62 of 213
peter_m.
in reply to: rapidcad

It proves the concept, and that it must be something with 1.5/2012/my system

😞

Right. Time to plug on. with it.

Thanks for your help.

Message 63 of 213
rapidcad

If you have access to AutoCAD 2011 (thru subscription), you could always develop blocks with the older build (v1.3, 24.10.09), and then use the blocks in either of the later versions - that's how I roll.

Message 64 of 213
peter_m.

I might try that.

I've just been trying to play with your test2.dwg, selecting view states, add/remove objects. Just to see if that would work, and I was making some headway until acad just crashed.

*sigh*

Message 65 of 213
dbroad

The new version didn't work for me in 2012.  It might or might not work to add the visibility states.  If they got added, working through the steps resulted in visibility states still affecting other objects that should have been under control by other visibility states.

None of these extra visiblity states is technically necessary though.  Just longer names for the existing visibility states of a single visibilty parameter.  It might even be faster to create.

three way open left

two way open closed

etc.

The program is a remarkable effort but unfortunately, AutoCAD changes apparently have short circuited the effort.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 66 of 213
nacirpl
in reply to: Anonymous

Any news from Andrey or Nikolay about a fix for the 2012 version of AutoCAD ?

Also, does someone is able to share the 1.5 version.

Thanks.

Message 67 of 213
Charles_Shade
in reply to: nacirpl

Links for 1.5 are about a dozen or so posts previous.

Scroll up or back a page or two depending on how many posts you have elected to show.

Message 68 of 213
nacirpl
in reply to: Charles_Shade

They don't work.

Message 69 of 213
rapidcad

Here is the last known download page. I have had no major issues using v1.3 within AutoCAD 2011. My blocks work perfectly, even in AutoCAD 2013, however I occasionally lock up AutoCAD 2011 while I create them. I have learned to create in a seperate drawing form my source files. I do a lot of copy paste from my source file drawing to a new drawing, then open the block editor in the new drawing and then load the visibility add lisp. If you search my posts, you will find several other important tips for using this program. I think I might be one of the most experienced users since I have spent over a year now with it, creating dynamic blocks 8 hours a day. If you can use 2011 and v1.3, I am sure you can make this work.

http://www.private.peterlink.ru/poleshchuk/cad/2009/tainypod12e.htm

Hope this helps, Ron

Message 70 of 213
nacirpl

Thank for reply. I found interesting and saved for later your tips and notes.

Unfortunatelly I don't have neither 2010 or 2011 ver of AutoCAD, so block properties are not going to be supported in my new block, which is not a good sign to me. I will have to use Lookup instead.

The only way I can work with any version is 2007. It's shame that Autodesk changed something in 2012 and plus version to the point that Nikolay's and Andrey's lisp routine doesn't work Smiley Sad

Have you tried the 1.4 version ? from that website ?

Thanks again in advance for any work and future info.

Nacir

Message 71 of 213
Spiritshifterus
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello, all. I just found this post a day or so ago, and already Version 1.4 (with my firm's AutoCAD 2010 license) is becoming my new best friend!  This program is amazing, but I'm having a sudden pinch of trouble with a block I'm creating, which I attach here and ask for help about.

The file shows my firm's illuminated exit sign symbol. I have already used V1.4 to create the first visibility toggle, which will turn on and off the wall mount anchor on the left (making the sign ceiling-mounted). This was successful.

What I want to do now is to create 2 more visibility toggles. The first task is a 2-state toggle that will hide the top quadrant hatch (which is simply a super-wide polyline element) and the arrows above it. With the exit sign, the filled-in quadrant(s) display the sides that read "EXIT". Therefore, I'm creating a single-face EXIT sign (top quadrant off), or a dual-face EXIT sign (top quadrant on). Sounds easy at first; I know.

However, I need another toggle (4-state) which will show no arrows, show them pointing right, show them pointing left, or show them pointing both ways. My problem is that when I create the toggles & respective visibility states, I get a conflict where the arrows above the top quadrant show up when the top quadrant is off (single-face EXIT sign). This is unacceptable, because there should not be any arrows showing for the top quadrant unless the top quadrant is hatched in.

Any suggestions?

Thank you to those who've created this LISP routine, and those who've diligently worked to ensure that others know how to use it best.

Chris Martin

Message 72 of 213
rapidcad
in reply to: Spiritshifterus

Hey Chris - sounds like you are making good progress. I don't have time right now to look at the attachment, but I think you might be adding to the block after you've created your first visual parameter. I have done this a lot, but it is far more difficult. The easiest route is to create all your objects first, then add your first visibility parameter and assign it to the appropriate objects, then configure as the instructions show,  then add a second parameter and repeat for the second object set, and so on.

If you are looking for tips, search for my posts. I have written some things to clarify and make the program easier to run.

HTH,

Ron

Message 73 of 213
rapidcad

In reply to Nacir...

I believe the 1.4 version will work in 2012. AutoCAD 2013 has a different dwg object model, so anything this advanced would have to be rewritten to load up and manipulate data for 2013 and up. If you are a subscription customer, you can download older versions now, if that helps any.

Ron

Message 74 of 213
Spiritshifterus

Dear Mr. Powell,

Thank you for your compliment and suggestions. Just to be clear, all elements I need are created in the block file. My issue is that I have 3 elements (the top quadrant arrows & in-between line) that have to be controlled properly by two separate visibility parameters (first, the dual-face parameter to reveal them if necessary, and then the directional parameter to aim the arrows on both sides of the sign in the correct direction).

AutoCAD 2010 may not like that so much. We'll see.

Chris Martin

Message 75 of 213
rapidcad

It is possible to have an object display as part of two different visibility parameter's object sets, but they will fight each other. I do a global set of everything and call it "default" having the default items turned on, with a second view called "all-on". Then I will make several other visual parameters with their own selection sets to control each part of the block. When I insert the block, I use lisp to set the master to "default" so that everything looks good to start.

There is another way to think about your exit sign, how about a duplicate object? Without digging in too far, is it possible to copy the polyline and offset it just a hair, then include one in one object set and the other in another? Sometimes, I have to fake in things like that to get what I'm after.

Hope that helps,

Ron

Message 76 of 213
nacirpl

Based on my reading the 1.5 was supposed to work with 2012 version. The 1.4 has only some updated with the 2010 and 11 as for the block properties.

I have the 2012 version and the 1.4 doens't work for me.

Message 77 of 213
Spiritshifterus

Dear Mr. Powell,

I have tried to create other blocks with multiple visibility settings, and I think that I'm having problems that may relate to what you spoke of about my Exit Sign block.

Here's what happened. I had created a 2' wide light fixture block with two visibility settings. One setting controls the length of the fixture (either 2' or 4'), and the other controls display of a wall mount bracket. When I return to the Model/Paper space drawing area, I've noticed that in my lower left corner by the cursor coordinates shows the current state set by (Visibility-Up).

With this issue, I see that I can only turn on or off the wall mount bracket, if the (Visibility-Up) was set to the wall-mount parameter being current. If the Fixture length parameter was current, my wall bracket will never show.

Now, in your last post about my Exit Sign, you mention something about a Default global set, and something about a "Master" that you set to this "Default" global set with a Lisp. What do you mean by this? And, what lisp do you use to set the Master?

I get the feeling that your answer may help me with both of these blocks that I'm having trouble with.

Thank you for your time and help, sir.

Chris Martin

P.S.: if anyone else can help, please feel free to add your input.

Message 78 of 213
rapidcad

Does this work for you? Sometimes it's easier to learn by seeing an example. The default VP is only there so you can pre-set a block to come in with the most common configuration. I took a guess. I also use the default as a "home base" of sorts which allows me to set it as current before I save the block. Then I can always use the "ALL ON" to display all the objects in case I need them for future editing - for example, you might want to change everything to a different layer.Also, by doing this you don't have the issue you were complaining about where because you saved your block with one particular visual parameter as current, you can't see the entities in a different visual parameter.

As far as the Lisp goes, that's just something I do, you probably don't need to get that complicated yet. You can still use the tool palettes to acces this feature though. You would need to first go into the block editor and highlight the Default visual Parameter and Change it to say "Properties = Yes" in the properties palette. I have set the block up so that you can always use visibility up to set the default current so you can be sure to see all the entities.

Then when you add this block to a tool palette, you can right click on the tool in the tool palette and select "Properties", and Scroll down to the "custom" section and set the default to default, or just set each property as you would like to have them default individually.

Anyway, play with it and see what you think - maybe you'll understand a little more of the visual data structure you need to set-up.

Enjoy,

Ron

Message 79 of 213
Spiritshifterus

Thank you for your help, Mr. Powell. Your words & examples were insightful. However, I played around some more and worked out what I wanted to happen. Attached is what I have created.

What you had done in your block, is also what I was able to originally produce. However, yours did not have the visual conflict that mine had. That is why I started posting to this thread. But, I have redesigned my block somewhat, and with all due respect, here is why I did not use your block. I noticed that for each face, you had a separate visibility parameter for the arrows on each respective side. I felt I might have to do that, too, but I wanted to ensure that when both sides were in use, the arrows pointed in the same direction in all cases. Just like in a real building, no matter from which face of the sign inhabitants fleeing a fire would approach, people would be funneled through the same direction out of the building.

What I did was create one group of the arrows, and instead of trying to have them mirrored about the sign, I created an array action (I had to rotate my block in order to perform the array in the X- direction). Then, I set up two visibilities (one for the shaded faces and one for the directions that I wanted the arrows to point). After that, I removed the toggles for those, and replaced that with a lookup parameter/action, in which I locked in the settings of each face and arrow. And when I needed the dual faces & arrows, I added the array action into the lookup table.

As far as the wall mount visibility parameter goes, I just left that be. I can turn that on and off at my discretion.

It took a lot of work from both of us, and I thank you for your help. I hope that you are impressed with my creation, and that I have been just as helpful to you and others.

Chris Martin

Message 80 of 213
rapidcad

Good thinking Chris! I'll have a look tomorrow - My ride is waiting!

ron

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services