Did you mean: 

Using Lookup Tables to Specify Visibility States

72 REPLIES 72
SOLVED
Message 1 of 73
Anonymous
17971 Views, 72 Replies

Using Lookup Tables to Specify Visibility States

I know this has been addressed, I've been trying to understand forums explaining it but I am simply not getting it. 

Currently I am working on a weld dynamic block, I know that this has been done countless times but doing it for myself is for my own understanding.  I have attached where I am at in the drawing, with the block being 'Weld Symbol'.  If you open the drawing you can cycle through the visibility states which is pretty self explanatory to what I would like to accomplish.   I am attempting to get my lookup table to have me cycle through my visibility states to depict if:

A: The weld around symbol will be present.

B: What weld Symbol is used

C: If a opposite side weld symbol is used and if so which one.

😧 If there is a note attached.

I also do all my printouts 'annotatively' so I have attached annotative text attributes to the drawing which and be filled out by double clicking on the block or left blank.  Currently I do not have the following but intend on adding when I have my visibilities working correctly.

-A move point for each break in the arrow

-A flip action to flip the side of the arrow

-A scale feature to scale all but the attribute text so it comes out according to desired size

-Basepoint/insertion point

-Everything placed correctly.

I don't wish anyone to do all those as I'm just going to do them myself anyways to understand.  I just need help understanding how to use my lookup table to display my visibility I wish.

If you display the current lookup table in the drawing you can see the approach I have attempted, but I do not have the ability to change the grayed out "Read Only" text to allow reverse lookup so I can use it when inserted.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks for the help!

72 REPLIES 72
Message 61 of 73
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

alright i have posted this in 3 different forms and i think i have found a question that not even a VET can answer.  as i stated on other times

"I have been on cad for 10+ years and am interested in learning more. the thing im having the hardest time grasping is how do you link the Visibility States to excel?
i have a dyn block with 10 Visibility States that i want to link to an excel doc in which i use a drop down list"

Message 62 of 73
Libbya

I have seen you post that question repeatedly here and I have not responded because I do not know of any OOTB way to have excel drive the visibility state or any other dynamic action.  There is probably a way using LISP or another type of custom programming but that is not within my skillset.  You can use data extraction to send the dynamic block info TO excel but not FROM excel to alter the block.  You might post in the LISP forum but I don't think that spamming threads here is going to get you a useful answer.

Message 63 of 73
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Hi,

I am trying to link two tables to 1 parameter and I cant follow your instructions.

Is there any chance you could add add screen shots please.

"To link two table to one lookup parameter, right click the lookup parameter on the tool palette, click actions and then the little '...' browse symbol."

Kind Regards

T

Message 64 of 73
Libbya

Step-by-step instructions with screen captures are already posted in this thread on page 6.

Message 65 of 73
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Hello,

I need some assistance on the following.

Im busy creating Dinamic blocks.

I have several configurations so I've used the visibility, lookup bridge etc to accomplish what I need. This was all able through the forum teaching me step by step.

Now for my Title Block - attribute text,  what I need is the following

My Title 1 has a lookup with all the different Configs ie Config 1 - 10

I want my Title 2 to change when I select the first Lookup

example TITLE 1 WOULD BE (SELECTED WITH                            CONFIG 1

TITLE 2 SHOULD THEN CHANGE TO                                     (1 DI, 2 AI, 1SC)

TITLE 3 WILL BE DEFAULT                                                 WIRING DIAGRAM      

Will this be possible?

Second question can you add dynamic to multitext attribute? 

Thank you

Message 66 of 73
mgigliotti

Getting back to the original weld symbol that started all this.  I have been working on something similar and came across this.  Ryled, I liked yours but had one quibble, which is that by AWS standards the actual symbol (fillet, bevel, &c.) as well as text positions should NOT flip regardless of whether oriented left or right.  I wrestled with that one quite a bit on mine and so far have the slightly klugey solution of not flipping the base symbol, but only the tail and so forth and then using a list driven move with only two possible positions to slide the symbol over, effectively flipping position, but not orientation.

What I really want is for the flip action to automatically fire that move as well so I can flip with only one move.  I made the insertion point the place where the leader and symbol meet, merely because that is what I need to flip around.

I also haven't yet had the intestinal fortitude to create the even more vis states I need to enable independently differing top and bottom symbols as this would involve 3x what I currently have, which is basically 6 flavors per symbol type.  i.e.; Fillet, Fillet Around Tail, Fillet Flag Around . . . and so forth.  Making independent top and bottom symbols would bump that up to 18 flavors per symbol since each current state would need a top, bottom and both variation.  If anyone has any clever way to sidestep that, I would love to hear it.  Currently I am thinking of writing a vba script to automate that process (not for the user, but for me to make the **** thing).

I keep feeling that nested blocks might be an approach but haven't quite got my head into it yet.

I value any feedback.

Murphy

Message 67 of 73
ojuris
in reply to: mgigliotti

hi!

I don't know that I understand correctly about flipping

look attachment

Message 68 of 73
mgigliotti
in reply to: ojuris

Ojuris;

You seem to have made the flip work correctly on my block without having to do the stretch as well.  Go you.  However, I am blessed if I know what you did.  I went into block editor on yours and am not seeing exactly what you changed.  Please feel free to elaborate.

Thanks

M

Message 69 of 73
ojuris
in reply to: mgigliotti

I use double lookup for this (Lookup1 with tables Lookup24 and Lookup25)

And redefine Distance1 parameter -> Distance2 with Move1 action

In 1st lookup table (Lookup24) I add Flip state1 action ("input" parameter)

In 2nd lookup table (Lookup25) I add Distance2 action ("output" parameter)

now when you change Flip state1 - Distance2 is changing to corresponding value

Message 70 of 73
mgigliotti

Lovely.  Very elegant.  A trick I will certainly remember and use.  Again, go you.

M

Message 71 of 73
ojuris

and if you haven't - switch BACTIONBARMODE to 0

Message 72 of 73
rbarbosa8DQGJ

Hi. When flipping, leader do not flips and fillet symbols do not flips. Also, some symbols stop working... opposite weld only works for fillet symbol.
Message 73 of 73
Libbya
in reply to: rbarbosa8DQGJ

Did you have a question about how Dynamic Blocks function or were you just looking for someone else to do your work for you?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services