Did you mean: 

Updating Dynamic Blocks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Kellser
6090 Views, 6 Replies

Updating Dynamic Blocks

Hi,

Can somebody tell me how can I get my dyamic blocks to update in my target dwgs after I have edited them in my Source dwg.
I have Dynamic blocks in a TP. Sometimes I have to update them using block editor which opens my source dwg and I can edit them. But they won't update automatically in my target dwg unless I purge all the relevant blocks. I could use BE in the Target dwg as well and redefine the Block but it would be easier if I could just redefine in my source dwg and all instances ot that block would update automatically

Cheers
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Kellser

That's called an X-ref!

wrote in message news:6300472@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi,

Can somebody tell me how can I get my dyamic blocks to update in my target
dwgs after I have edited them in my Source dwg.
I have Dynamic blocks in a TP. Sometimes I have to update them using block
editor which opens my source dwg and I can edit them. But they won't update
automatically in my target dwg unless I purge all the relevant blocks. I
could use BE in the Target dwg as well and redefine the Block but it would
be easier if I could just redefine in my source dwg and all instances ot
that block would update automatically

Cheers
Message 3 of 7
Kellser

Thx Nathan but i'm not x-refing here.
I have a library of blocks which I place on my Tool Palette for insertion into dwgs. When I want to update a block I right click on the block in the Tool palette and click on Block Editor. This opens the block in my source dwg (where I create my blocks) and I can edit it. My problem is if I have an instance of that block in a target dwg I want the block to redefine itself to the updated block from the source dwg when I insert the block again if that makes sense?
Message 4 of 7
Charles_Shade

Redefining from the Design Center is an option.
Tool Palette, Design Center, INSERT all work the same as they have for years. Nothing new to redeifne a block, you've got to let the Drawing know.
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 5 of 7
Kellser

ok.
Let me try again.

I have created a symbol library in a Dwg called Symbols.dwg (Source Dwg). In one particular block in the Symbol.Dwg I want to change the Shading. I open the Symbol.Dwg use Block editor to change the Shading in the Block. Block redefined and then updated on my Tool Palette.
I go to my Target Dwg where I have multiple instances of this block. I open my Tool Palette and/or DC and drag and drop my new block into the Target.Dwg but instead of the new defined shading I am still getting my old shading with the block.
On the other hand if I were to wblock the symbol with the new shading and then insert that "wblock" into my Target.dwg AutoCAD asks you if you would like to redefine the block. Say yes and my blocks are updated with the new Shading.
Using the TP or DC to insert does not update your block and I cannot use the INSERT command as my symbol/block is defined in a dwg with multiple other blocks i.e the Symbol.dwg. It is not a dwg file on its own.
The easy fix is to redefine the block in both Dwgs but I don't want to redefine it twice. But that is the fix I have and it'll do 🙂

Thx for your help though
Message 6 of 7
Charles_Shade

You do have to Right Click the Block in the DC to get the option to Redefine or Insert as Block which will prompt a redefine. You cannot simply drag-n-drop to get a redefine. The TP will not auto-update the target drawing.
Same logic as before so that you do not willy-nilly redefine blocks w/o your consent.
Again, nothing new as to the way Block Insert functions.
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 7 of 7
witzel

You can do this through the tool pallette. Just right click on the block that has been updated and select "redefine".

It will be greyed out if it hasn't changed.

Sometimes I have used to "attsync" even though it doesn't have any attributes. This gets the block to update.

Hope this helps.

Conan Witzel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services