Dynamic Blocks

wimvnl
Message 1 of 17 (3,222 Views)
Accepted Solution

Stretch dynamic block grip points

3222 Views, 16 Replies
02-04-2011 06:01 AM

Hi,

I have succesfuly created a dynamic block. I can insert it into AutoCAD, and it behaves like I want, except for one thing.

I can select the block and change it by taking a grippoint and place it at another position. So my block is e.q. stretched, just like I wanted.

But then. When I want to use the ordinary STRETCH command of AutoCAD, I can only stretch the insertion point of the block, but not the grippoints. Is there a way to set a grippoint to be selectedable by commands like STRETCH.

I'll hope there is someone who knows how to do this, or maybe this could be a new addition for a new AutoCAD release.

Regards,

Wim

Charles is correct.  You can't mix AutoCAD's stretch commad with Dynamic Block stretch action.  Do one first then do another.

There is a tiny little possibility that you may be able to do it with the new Geometry Constrains function.  For example, if your windows are placed in a certain rule (center between 2 gridlines, fixed distance from a gridline, etc.), then there is some hope.  But it's hard to tell without looking at a drawing.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 2 of 17 (3,219 Views)

Re: Stretch dynamic block grip points

02-04-2011 06:20 AM in reply to: wimvnl

So... you can Stretch a block?

And if you can do that why did you create a Dynamic block with a Stretch Action?

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
wimvnl
Message 3 of 17 (3,207 Views)

02-05-2011 03:19 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Sorry Charles, I think you don't understand.

I have uploaded a screenshot-video of the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_OcAF32zo

Here you can see a example building with a door and a window. The window is a dynamic block.
Now I want to stretch the whole building so that the building becomes longer and also the window.

You will see that the building will stretch but not the window. I have to stretch that dynamic block (of the window) manualy.

Isn't there a way to use just the basic STRETCH command of AutoCAD to stretch both the dynamic block grippoints and all other selected objects?

Wim

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 4 of 17 (3,186 Views)

02-07-2011 05:27 AM in reply to: wimvnl

Excellent use of the visual tool.

Behavior is normal; you cannot link the Stretch Action to the Stretch Command while in Model Space.

And as I queried earlier - If you could stretch a Block in such a way why would it need to be Dynamic? The laws of Blocks do not change just because they are Dynamic. This just offers you more flexibility.

If it can be done I do hope someone will come along and let us know. There may be a programmatic way of making this work just not OOTB.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
wimvnl
Message 5 of 17 (3,183 Views)

02-07-2011 05:32 AM in reply to: wimvnl

Hi Charles,

I understand that you say that this doesn't work in Paper space, but I try to do this in Model space.

If it's also inpossible to do it in Modelspace, then I hope AutoDesk will include this option in the next release of AutoCAD.

Regards,

Wim

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 6 of 17 (3,181 Views)

02-07-2011 05:38 AM in reply to: wimvnl

You read my reply before I could edit Paper to Model but i probably should not have said either.

Valued Mentor
AcadAdamLT
Message 7 of 17 (3,166 Views)

02-07-2011 11:25 PM in reply to: Charles_Shade

If you wanna stretch the window at the same time as stretching the building you could try chaining a stretch for the window together with the stretch for the building.

Post the block and it will be easier to understand and help you :smileyhappy:

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2014
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 8 of 17 (3,153 Views)

02-08-2011 04:39 AM in reply to: AcadAdamLT

But this will not allow a Crossing window to stretch both objects at once as the OP is intending. This would require that the wall being stretched be a Dynamic Block also.

And Chaining would not be required if the Window DynBlk Linear Parameter is included in the Wall DynBlk's Stretch Action. This would allow the Window to Stretch with the wall but still maintain a Stretch Action associated with the Window that could be manipulated separately as needed.

On another note - I'm still lost on the OP's need to have some random window length in the wall. Every window I have been associated with has been a standard size expect for special order items.

*Pro
Modman_4
Message 9 of 17 (3,149 Views)

02-08-2011 05:56 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

You wouldn't expect to stretch a toilet block wouldja? Just stretch the building, then grab the block in question and adjust using the stretch action you added. How would you do it if the block wasn't dynamic? You wouldn't have the luxury of being able to stretch it with a grip. You'd have to explode it before stretching, or replace with a different block, yesno?

Just stretch the building, then go back and grip-stretch the window......

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 10 of 17 (3,141 Views)

02-08-2011 11:54 AM in reply to: wimvnl

Charles is correct.  You can't mix AutoCAD's stretch commad with Dynamic Block stretch action.  Do one first then do another.

There is a tiny little possibility that you may be able to do it with the new Geometry Constrains function.  For example, if your windows are placed in a certain rule (center between 2 gridlines, fixed distance from a gridline, etc.), then there is some hope.  But it's hard to tell without looking at a drawing.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.