Stretch dynamic block grip points

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
wimvnl
7204 Views, 16 Replies

Stretch dynamic block grip points

Hi,

I have succesfuly created a dynamic block. I can insert it into AutoCAD, and it behaves like I want, except for one thing.

I can select the block and change it by taking a grippoint and place it at another position. So my block is e.q. stretched, just like I wanted.

But then. When I want to use the ordinary STRETCH command of AutoCAD, I can only stretch the insertion point of the block, but not the grippoints. Is there a way to set a grippoint to be selectedable by commands like STRETCH.

I'll hope there is someone who knows how to do this, or maybe this could be a new addition for a new AutoCAD release.

Regards,

Wim

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Charles_Shade
in reply to: wimvnl

So... you can Stretch a block?

And if you can do that why did you create a Dynamic block with a Stretch Action?

Message 3 of 17
wimvnl
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Sorry Charles, I think you don't understand.

I have uploaded a screenshot-video of the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_OcAF32zo

Here you can see a example building with a door and a window. The window is a dynamic block.
Now I want to stretch the whole building so that the building becomes longer and also the window.

You will see that the building will stretch but not the window. I have to stretch that dynamic block (of the window) manualy.

Isn't there a way to use just the basic STRETCH command of AutoCAD to stretch both the dynamic block grippoints and all other selected objects?

Wim

Message 4 of 17
Charles_Shade

Excellent use of the visual tool.

Behavior is normal; you cannot link the Stretch Action to the Stretch Command while in Model Space.

And as I queried earlier - If you could stretch a Block in such a way why would it need to be Dynamic? The laws of Blocks do not change just because they are Dynamic. This just offers you more flexibility.

If it can be done I do hope someone will come along and let us know. There may be a programmatic way of making this work just not OOTB.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 5 of 17
wimvnl

Hi Charles,

I understand that you say that this doesn't work in Paper space, but I try to do this in Model space.

If it's also inpossible to do it in Modelspace, then I hope AutoDesk will include this option in the next release of AutoCAD.

Regards,

Wim

Message 6 of 17
Charles_Shade

You read my reply before I could edit Paper to Model but i probably should not have said either.

Message 7 of 17
AcadAdamLT

If you wanna stretch the window at the same time as stretching the building you could try chaining a stretch for the window together with the stretch for the building.

Post the block and it will be easier to understand and help you Smiley Happy

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 8 of 17
Charles_Shade
in reply to: AcadAdamLT

But this will not allow a Crossing window to stretch both objects at once as the OP is intending. This would require that the wall being stretched be a Dynamic Block also.

And Chaining would not be required if the Window DynBlk Linear Parameter is included in the Wall DynBlk's Stretch Action. This would allow the Window to Stretch with the wall but still maintain a Stretch Action associated with the Window that could be manipulated separately as needed.

On another note - I'm still lost on the OP's need to have some random window length in the wall. Every window I have been associated with has been a standard size expect for special order items.

Message 9 of 17
Modman_4

You wouldn't expect to stretch a toilet block wouldja? Just stretch the building, then grab the block in question and adjust using the stretch action you added. How would you do it if the block wasn't dynamic? You wouldn't have the luxury of being able to stretch it with a grip. You'd have to explode it before stretching, or replace with a different block, yesno?

Just stretch the building, then go back and grip-stretch the window......

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! 🙂
Message 10 of 17
ToanDN

Charles is correct.  You can't mix AutoCAD's stretch commad with Dynamic Block stretch action.  Do one first then do another.

There is a tiny little possibility that you may be able to do it with the new Geometry Constrains function.  For example, if your windows are placed in a certain rule (center between 2 gridlines, fixed distance from a gridline, etc.), then there is some hope.  But it's hard to tell without looking at a drawing.

Message 11 of 17
wimvnl

Thanks everybody for you reply's.

It's too bad that AutoDesk didn't include this option. I'll hope that they will in the future.

I know that dynamic blocks are a big improvement, so that you don't need to explode a block anymore.
A stretch option would make it realy perfect.

Regards,

Wim

Message 12 of 17
pawel-l12

I also would like to see this funcionality in AutoCAD.

I created several re-bars as dynamic blocks. And I can't stretch beam or column outline together with re-bars.

I have details which contain normal elements and diferent dynamic blocks. Stretch sometimes is necessary.

If we can strech dimensions, plines or mlines why can't we do it with such inteligent objects ?

It is very needed.

I hope Autodesk implement it very quickly.

Regards

Message 13 of 17
Magruser
in reply to: pawel-l12

I had the same problem. This option would give enormous advantage in modelling. Hope it can be done somehow, someday.

Message 14 of 17
dbranton
in reply to: Modman_4

Sure, there would be little reason to stretch a toilet, but if you're working on an ornamental fence, or a window system, and you are a supplier, and you know how to use attributes, and you know how to use data extraction, the ability to stretch dynamic blocks using the stretch command would be incredibly useful and I see the lack of ability to do so to be a great failing on the whole concept.  Very narrow vision when the tool was developed and surprising that there have been no efforts to release an update to correct this oversight.

Someone HAS found a way to make this work though, there is a program add on called Athena, for the curtain wall industry, which contains dynamic fasteners of sorts which can be lengthened to standard available sizes using the stretch command.  I am not sure how they did it, but they did.

Message 15 of 17
Charles_Shade
in reply to: dbranton

Are these OOTB entities for the Athena Software or objects created in AutoCAD and then manipulated using the Athena software?

Message 16 of 17
dbranton

They are a part of the parts library that come with Athena, so no doubt they have done some kind of programming that allows for this action, so one would assume that the same could be done within Autocad itself as Athena is not an independent platform.

Message 17 of 17
Charles_Shade
in reply to: dbranton

Yes possibly but as has been pointed out Autodesk is not likely to do so with what are essentially random objects created by the generic user.

And as I pointed out to someone looking for updated info concerning DynBlk's in regards to creating, making, enhancements, the tools that were made available when these were first intorduced are the same tools that were there then.

Other than the Block Properties Table and Dynamic Constraints (different animal) there has been no additonal functionality introduced or revision of the basic Commands for DynBlk's since inception.

Wish list it and lobby hard but I think your slope here is too slippery.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services