Stretch and flip

45 REPLIES 45
SOLVED
Message 1 of 46
irishrandy26
3843 Views, 45 Replies

Stretch and flip

Hey guys,

I am trying to creat a dynamic block that stretches evenly on both sides and also has a flip command. I can't seem to get these commands to work together properly. I got the block to stretch correctly but if I flip the block more than once it doubles in size.  Attached is my file I am trying to use. Can anyone help me? I need to be able to flip the block in any direction and stretch both direction simultaneously.

Tags (3)
45 REPLIES 45
Message 21 of 46
irishrandy26
in reply to: Libbya

What version are you saving it with? I am using 2010... Still won't let me open...

Message 22 of 46
Libbya
in reply to: irishrandy26

I am using 2013 but have slected to save to 2010 each time.  I'll try hosting the block in another drawing and backsaving it that way.  Here it is:

Message 23 of 46
irishrandy26

Worked! Thank you! Now I am really sorry for asking this. I tried to mention it but I don't think you saw the comment. By any chance can we put the FSD text on the opposite side? I know that is getting a little much but I just realized that it would read better that way...

Message 24 of 46
irishrandy26

Also is there a site to kind of guide me through these step so I don't have to rely on others and can start making my own blocks that are this complicated? I do really appreciate your help but I would eventually like to be self sufficient.

Message 25 of 46
Libbya

You can move them where you need them.  Making the FSD always to the left of the M or always to the right of the M regardless of which side of the block they are flipped to is a little harder.

Message 26 of 46
irishrandy26

Is this something you would be willing to do for me? Or is that getting too in depth?

Message 27 of 46
Libbya

There are a few YouTube videos on dynamic blocks and I've seen a few other write-ups.  Mostly you just need to play around with them enough to get an understanding of what does what.  In your block right then, you needed to add the FSD to the selection set of a stretch and the flips.

Message 28 of 46
Libbya

None of this block is particularly difficult.  Do you always want the M to the outside?

Message 29 of 46
irishrandy26

I understand that aspect of it but I don't understand how to fix the over stretching issue... I mean I can get it close to what I want but I am not experienced enough to get it perfect as you do...

Message 30 of 46
Libbya

Like this?  The FSD and the M should move the same amount.  You can go into block editor and move them to where you want them in relation to each other or the end of the block and regardless of where you place them, they should always move together.

Message 31 of 46
irishrandy26

Yes, always on the outside. and always on the opposite side of the "FSD" text. It is because depending on what side we have the "M" shows which side of the Fire Smoke Damper we want the Motor on. So it shall be installed that way.

Message 32 of 46
irishrandy26

No, I was thinking more like this...

Message 33 of 46
Libbya

Ah, ok.  Here it is again. 

Message 34 of 46
wr.marshall

Used the example of "flip stretch 2010.dwg" posted by Libbya as a basis and tried to follow the logic as closely as possible. I am probably about 90% there as I can get the text to flip normal when at the bottom but when the text is at the top it us unexpected positioning when you stretch the length.

as you will see in the drawing file, I have the same block 9 times. below is a description of what is happening in each position. Mistakes with some of them are denoted with *

1. original block
  2. stretched block
  3. flipped stretched block
  4. stretch block
  5. stretched flipped block *
  6. stretch block
  7. stretched flipped block *
  8. stretched block
  9. flipped stretched block

Additional information is that I have made use of multiple visual states. The type will change the symbol. Qty will determine how many symbols shown (Array), ROV handle put a handle on the object.

below is a screen shot for interest of what each control does

Capture1.JPG

Message 35 of 46
wr.marshall

Used the example of "flip stretch 2010.dwg" posted by Libbya as a basis and tried to follow the logic as closely as possible. I am probably about 90% there as I can get the text to flip normal when at the bottom but when the text is at the top it us unexpected positioning when you stretch the length.

as you will see in the drawing file, I have the same block 9 times. below is a description of what is happening in each position. Mistakes with some of them are denoted with *

1. original block
  2. stretched block
  3. flipped stretched block
  4. stretch block
  5. stretched flipped block *
  6. stretch block
  7. stretched flipped block *
  8. stretched block
  9. flipped stretched block

Additional information is that I have made use of multiple visual states. The type will change the symbol. Qty will determine how many symbols shown (Array), ROV handle put a handle on the object.

below is a screen shot for interest of what each control does

Capture1.JPG

Message 36 of 46
Libbya
in reply to: wr.marshall

I think you ought to start your own thread for your block.  It is not really the same issue.  You want the text to move if it is not flipped and not move if it is flipped.  

Message 37 of 46
Libbya

This screencast shows how to stretch when flipped one direction and not stretch when flipped the other direction.  

Message 38 of 46
ndikesh

Hi Libbya,

Can you please upload a video so that I can copy it step by step.

my block is quite similar, just need to flip the object from left to right. As you've already mentioned, after flipping the object then stretch to wrong direction.

Message 39 of 46
ndikesh
in reply to: ndikesh

Hi Libbya,
Just noticed the screencast was on the second page. That would solve the problem, however if I wish to stretch object from midpoint what are the changes I'll have to make?
Message 40 of 46
hwalker
in reply to: ndikesh

Change the base location of your parameter from STARTPOINT to MIDPOINT. See the image below

Capture.JPG

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services