Stretch and flip

45 REPLIES 45
SOLVED
Message 1 of 46
irishrandy26
3762 Views, 45 Replies

Stretch and flip

Hey guys,

I am trying to creat a dynamic block that stretches evenly on both sides and also has a flip command. I can't seem to get these commands to work together properly. I got the block to stretch correctly but if I flip the block more than once it doubles in size.  Attached is my file I am trying to use. Can anyone help me? I need to be able to flip the block in any direction and stretch both direction simultaneously.

Tags (3)
45 REPLIES 45
Message 2 of 46
Libbya
in reply to: irishrandy26

Is this what you want?

Message 3 of 46
irishrandy26
in reply to: Libbya

I hate to ask this but can you save your file in a later format? I am using AutoCAD 2010. Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 46
Libbya

Ok.  Here it is again.

Message 5 of 46
irishrandy26

Yes that is wat I am looking for. I am also wondering if there is a way to have the flip arrows stretch when you stretch the block. I am trying it right now and it seems to stretch the arrow too far.

Message 6 of 46
Libbya

Sort of, yes, but depending on how you want them to stretch it can get very complicated.  The flip grips move when the flip line is moved/stretched.  The flip line must remain at the center line of the desired flip.  Because of this, you can stretch/move the Up/Down flip left or right and still maintain the flip line in the correct location but you cannot move just the grip and you cannot move the up/down flip up or down without messing up the flip action.  The same is true of the left/right flip.  You can move that one up and down without messing up the action, but you can't move it left and right.

You can use two 'dummy' flip parameters with grips on (that don't actually flip anything visible) as input parameters to double lookups that in turn activate the actual flips that have their grips off that move the objects/linework.  With that setup, you can place the grips where ever you want, but it obviously adds another level of complexity to the block.

Message 7 of 46
Libbya

Here it is with the grips to the side.  As mentioned, it required an additional flip, chained point for that flip and a double lookup.  Really a fairly complicated block for such simple behavior.

Message 8 of 46
irishrandy26

Thank you very much! So how do I go about figuring out if I need to add flip's or additional stretch's. In other words how do I teach myself how and when to add dummy flip's and stretches? This way i don't have to ask anymore...

But again thank you for doing this for me!

Message 9 of 46
Libbya

It's really a matter of experience, getting a full understanding of what does what and adding what is necessary to get the deisred behavior.  The chained linear parameter is needed because without it, when the circled M is flipped to the other side and then it stretched, it moves the wrong way.  The stretch angle attached to the chained linear paramter has an angle offset of 270°.  That stretch is included in the horizontal flip's selection set so that the direction of the stretch is reversed for the flipped objects.  The additional flip and lookup is needed in order to allow the flip grip to be horizontal flip grip to be moved to the side and move with the stretch.  The chained point move is necessary in order for the shown flip grip to point the right direction.  

Message 10 of 46
irishrandy26

Libbya,

Now I have a new question. I have taken the block you created and adjusted it as needed but now I am thinking about making this work for mulitple scales. Is there a way to add a "user input" to a dynamic block? In other words, I am putting this block in to a toolbar and I want it to be able to adjust the text based on my already selected dim scale. I don't know of any functionality of dynamic blocks that let's the user input a scale or comes in by the selected dim scale. Do you know of anything like this that may work?

I know this is a simple block that really should be a little more simple but I am trying to cover as many basis/scenario possible.

Thanks again for your time!

Message 11 of 46
Libbya

You could make the block annotative but I'm not sure that is what you are asking.

I have a bolt dynamic block that I made so the shank is 1".  For other sizes I change the scale property.  For example, if I enter 5/8 into the scale property it makes the bolt 5/8" etc...  So, to do similar, make your dynamic block so that 1 unit corresponds to 1 unit of your scale factor, then change the scale of the block on the properties palette.

You could add a linear parameter with 0 grips and scale action attached and scale the appropriate items in the block but chained parameters may not cause problems.  

Message 12 of 46
irishrandy26

I am in need of help for this block again. I need to add a text "FSD" Next to the "M" but not in the circle. Just as a simple text. My issue with this is that I had adjusted your block to do this and now my "M" moves too far when I stretch. I believe it had to do with the basepoint of the text and circle but I am not 100% sure.

Message 13 of 46
Libbya

Please post the block again.

Message 14 of 46
irishrandy26

Here it is.

Message 15 of 46
Libbya

Does the "FSD" always have to be to the left of the M or can it flip like the in the attached file?

Message 16 of 46
irishrandy26

Can you save the file in 2010 format?

Message 17 of 46
Libbya

I actually did.  I double-checked it just to make sure.  Not working?

Message 18 of 46
irishrandy26

And the FSD can flip but I actually just realized that I had it on the wrong side... I need it on the opposite side of the "M"

Message 19 of 46
irishrandy26

No it isn't working. It is making me open trueview but I can't actually open the file. So I can't even review it to convert it...

Message 20 of 46
Libbya

Here it is again - quadruple-checked on the backsave.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services