Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stretch & Array dynamic block

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
jdonaldson3
4478 Views, 17 Replies

Stretch & Array dynamic block

I have been working on a dynamic block that need to look like the attached jpg. Basically it needs to be able to stretch up to 50'-0" but in ten foot segments (part size limits) +/- an additional but in 1 foot increments.

I've got two blocks that will either array or stretch. But have not been able to get it to match the actual requirements. I have attached my current block attempt.

Also as you can see from the jpg, the support posts usually alternate as well and I haven't figured that out yet either 🙂

Jim

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Charles_Shade
in reply to: jdonaldson3

You are not going to be able to get an Arrayed group of Entities to behave that way. i.e. being able to shorten or lengthen one segment of the Array. For that reason you will need to develop one Block that is 10' and one that can be shortened.

The up/down posts may be a challenge but I'm sure juris will figure it out at some point. I am thnking a double Lookup that uses a Vis state to control it. Downside is likely only one Vis State in your Block.

Why does the post not Move with the shortened hatched area? Why is it not included in the Stretch Action? Is this so it works with the Array?

Message 3 of 18
jdonaldson3
in reply to: Charles_Shade

The post doesn't move because I forgot to include it in the stretch selection 🙂 This is probably the 7th or 8th try at these blocks. And I was trying different things each time.

Message 4 of 18
Charles_Shade

I'm with you on the hunt and peck method that tends to occur when creating a Dynamic Block.

Will it work for you to use two different blocks?

Or a combination Block that the end piece is the piece that can be shortened? This section could Move as a whole along with the Array and then be Stretched as needed at the end.

That still leaves the inverted posts though...

Message 5 of 18
jdonaldson3

Since we don't have any blocks for this now anything is an improvement. But I'd like to get it down to one block if possible.

Getting the end piece to be shorten would be great ! I just couldn't figure out how to get it at the end of an array.

Jim

Message 6 of 18
Charles_Shade

Start with you static section and what you have done so far by removing the Parameter and Action that makes it shorter.

Create the same piece at the shortest length you can have (3'?) and then add the Parameter and Action to lengthen it in 1' increments out to 10'. Just as you have done previously.

Now, use a Move Action with the Parameter that you are using for the Array to move the entire assembly that can be made shorter (okay now it can only be longer but for the sake of everything else I have typed I am going to say shorter.) to the end of the Arrayed piece.

Message 7 of 18
jdonaldson3

OK, I've got two blocks that do what I want. I followed the first part of your reply with some difficulty. Autocrat would not let me use the same Parameter for all three stretches without screwing up at least one of the visibility states when stretching.

ANyway I now have two blocks that work correctly. But still unsure of how to get them into one single block.

Jim

Message 8 of 18
Charles_Shade

The nut side of the pole if slighly canted. Is this supposed to be that way?

In the Attached file I have eliminated all but one Parameter and one Action for each Block and have started a TEST Block with a Move Action to show how the two can be combined.

A Vis State with the other pole positions can be added to TEST but the up and down still is not going to be easy. An issue that comes to mind is the Shortened Section will half the time be opposite of what it should be unless an additional Flip Set is added to it. Which this may be able to be Flipped depending on the Distance that it is moved. This can be done.

The Linear Parameter can have more than one Action applied to it. Basically any Action that can be used on a Linear Parameter can be added and the number is not limited AFAIK.

A Parameter and Action can be made Visible and used in more than one Vis State and act on Entities that are only in that State. If you look at your two that are labeled TEST-xxxx you will see that as you change Vis States the fence sctions are all the same length or Arrayed.

Message 9 of 18
jdonaldson3

Wow, fast reply. Thanks let me look at this and get back to you.

I really appreciate the help.

JIm

Message 10 of 18
jdonaldson3

OK. I have the single block working like I'd like but it needs bullet proofing.

The attached SITE-ICE-BRIDGE-DYN-3 is good. But I can see my users having problems grabbing the wrong array grip and pulling the wrong way. I thought if the Parameter was directional so would the array but it isn't working that way. At least the way I drew it 🙂

The second thing is the visibility states. If the block is executed one way and then the visibility state is changed. The stretched end gets all mess up. I thought this might be because I used three different Parameters for each visibility state stretch but if I used just the one Parameter then it hoses the stretch objects (SEE ATTACHED  SITE-ICE-BRIDGE-DYN-2)

Any thoughts?

Jim

Message 11 of 18
Charles_Shade

For the Array Parameter set the Number of Grips to 1. I assume you only want it to go left.

Try the attached

Message 12 of 18
jdonaldson3

That worked! I sound surprised because I tried that before and it always turned off the left hand grip and left the right hand one on.

I love dynamic block editing 🙂

Jim

Message 13 of 18
jdonaldson3

I notice when I am dragging the right side of the block. The dynamic input display actually counts down, starting at the 7'-0" mark and going down to 0'-0"

Is it possible to get that to go the other way.? Start at o and go to 7'.

Jim

Message 14 of 18
Charles_Shade

Counts up here.

I was wondering why you were putting the Parameter in front of where you wanted to drag. I tried that and usually you can move the Grip to where you want so that the User sees it normally eventhough it is odd in the background but for some reason the Grip would not show when I changed the Value set to Increment so it is back to minimum of 3' maximum of 10' Paramter that you see.

Message 15 of 18
jdonaldson3

I got to wondering about the flip parameter as a fix to my alternating poles requirements. And tried that and it works great on the short side stretch. But not so good on the long array side.

Instead of duplicating the flip parameter at each array it just copies the original objects and leaves the flip to control all the arraied pole.

Maybe that is is just the way I've drawn it? Shouldn't the array have duplicated the flip at each pole?

Jim

Message 16 of 18
Charles_Shade

Sorry no time to look at the Block but Actions cannot be Arrayed.

Message 17 of 18
Libbya

This might help.

Message 18 of 18
Libbya
in reply to: Libbya

The attached file is also an interesting technique that eliminates the use of wipeouts.  It takes a little getting used to but works well.  You can drag out up to 40' (you could add to the lookup tables if more was desired).  If you want to shrink it, you need to shrink to the leading edge of the last automatic post and select, then shrink to the leading edge of the now last automatic post and select, etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services