Did you mean: 

Steel Beam Dynamic Block - Radius size change

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
ridler
4429 Views, 33 Replies

Steel Beam Dynamic Block - Radius size change

Help,
does anyone know how to increase the radius between the Web and Flange it is currently 7.6 I also need it to be 10.2, 12.7 and 15.2 without the properties of the beam changing. I know I need to use a linear parameter and use scale, stretch and move actions but It never seems to do what I want. Any advice greatly appreciated.

John.
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
in reply to: ridler

John,

I do not know if anybody contacted you about this, but look for a topic
titled "controlling radii, and any other helpful advice" which I posted
late last week. Kate replied to my question with an example she
created. The example she posted appears to have an I-beam example in
it which might solve your question.

I'm going thru her example to me now. It appears you will need one
dimension parameter for the radius itself and 4 actions; scale, move and
two stretches (one stretch for each line coming into a radius).

How to go about doing that, I'm still figuring it out 😉

Just an FYI
Message 3 of 34
dmf109

I read through that other thread, as well as looking at the attached example and still can't get it to work.

Is there any way to get a step by step example?
Message 4 of 34
Charles_Shade

Ooohhh now that's what I call fun. Lots of subtle items here...

1. Set the Radius to Independant and move the center point to the center of the radius
2. Add the Scale Action to the Move Action
3. You already noticed the angle of the stretches (45, 315) needing to change and the Move multiplier of 1.414
4. Add all Actions to the Height, Flange Thickness, Web Thickness as needed
5. I left the Stretch Grip on but assigned some random radii thru the Lookup table (I'm all Imperial here)
6. Should work fine
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 5 of 34
Kevin_UK
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hi All

I know this thread is nearly 3 1/2 years old! So, apologies for resurrecting it.

"1. Set the Radius to Independant and move the center point to the center of the radius"
"2. Add the Scale Action to the Move Action"
"3. You already noticed the angle of the stretches (45, 315) needing to change and the Move multiplier of 1.414"

I am trying to design a column block, but following  the above instructions for the root radius the radius moves when I test the block!

What I am not sure about is:

1. "move the center point to the center of the radius" What does this mean. I am selecting a liinear parameter, selecting the mid point of the arc first and then the arc center point.

2. "Add the Scale Action to the Move Action". How do you add the scale action to the move action

Perhaps it is me, but every way I have tried the arc moves when I test it!

Once again, apologies for resurrecting the thread.

Kevin

Message 6 of 34
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Kevin_UK

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Resurrection? We are thrilled that you took the time to research your question before posting. You will get a Kudos for that.

As to your questions:

Always post the block. It is easier to give advice when the Block can be seen.

1. Set the Scale(Radius) Action to Independent and then a Point will be available to move. Place this at the center of the Radius. (This thread should be uspdated to say Scale Action instead of Radius)

2. If you dbl click the Move Action for the Radius you wish to change you can Add the Scale associated to that Radius to the Move Actions selection set.

A. It is unusual to add Actions to other Actions Selection Sets but in some cases it is required.

B. BACTIONBARMODE set to 0 will make this Selection Set operation easier. The Lightining bolts are good.

Message 7 of 34
Kevin_UK

Hi Charles

Thank you for the welcome, and the quick response to my post.

It took a while to get my head around it , but I managed to crack it in the end.

Thank you

Kevin

Message 8 of 34
donm

Charles,  I was exited to find this post and especially your example block as it was precisely what I have been trying to do: create a wide flange dynamic block that will update from a lookup table.  But I have downloaded your block twice and run it through its paces trying to decipher how it works (I am new to dynamic blocks).  But I have to let you know: it's not working properly.  The radius1 action only affecting that one radius; the other three radii remain unchanged.  Perhaps you can take another look at your example block?  I'm at a complete loss as how to get the other radii to update from the radius1's action.

Thanks

Message 9 of 34
Libbya
in reply to: donm

You will need to add the same scale with independent base point, to each of the other radii along with another move and the two stretches to the connected lines.  You will need to make sure the angles for all of the additional actions are correct.

Message 10 of 34
Libbya
in reply to: Libbya

In the attached file I added the actions necessary to get the other top radius working.  I circled in green the three new actions.  I added the other vertical center line to the stretch action circled in blue.  The move needs a distance multiplier of 1.41...(square root of 2) along with the angle offset of 270.  Stretch2 needs and angle offset of 225.

Message 11 of 34
donm

Thanks, but I can't open the file. I'm running AutoCAD 2010. I have tried many times to install TrueConvert, but it simply will not install--ALWAYS fails.
Message 12 of 34
Libbya

Ok.  Here it is again, backsaved.

Message 13 of 34
donm

Well, thanks for the effort, but it's still not working properly. That top left radius seems to detach from the horizontal & vertical lines and move away. But this seems academic at this point. In doing further research online I have discovered that this very dynamic block is part of AutoCAD itself and can be accessed from the STRUCTURAL tool pallet. So I'll call my participation in this thread over. Thanks again.
Message 14 of 34
Libbya

I enjoy things that are academic.  

I only fixed it for the one default state.  Did you find that it did not work in that state or that it stopped working when you started changing the Lookup option?

Message 15 of 34
donm

When I started selecting different size beams from the lookup table it started going haywire. But I didn't in any way change the table. Just made selections from it.
Message 16 of 34
Libbya

Right, ok.  That is how I left it.  That's very easy to fix, just add the new actions to the appropriate actions that are controlled by the lookup.  Anyway, carry on.  

Message 17 of 34
jlabbeT2HT4

Hi guys,

I know this is a realllly old post, but I have been scratching my head about this all day. Why is it that when I change my inner flange radius to anything bigger than what it was originally drawn at NOTHING works.... I've attached my block.

Message 18 of 34
Libbya
in reply to: jlabbeT2HT4

Your r1 parameter is backwards.  You set its base and end points opposite of how they should be.  Your stretch and move actions are associated with the base point, so they are not affected by the lookup value change.  The angle offsets of the stretch and move actions are wrong.  

Message 19 of 34
jlabbeT2HT4

Hi Libbya,

Thank you for your quick response. I'm completely new to dynamic so I apologize. Can you elaborate? How is a parameter backwards? How does one know what point the move and action are using?

Message 20 of 34
Libbya
in reply to: jlabbeT2HT4

The base of a linear parameter has a larger + sign than the endpoint.  It is also the point that is selected first.  If you turn on one grip it will show at the end point.  If you turn on both grips then when you select an action you can see what grip and point is associated with that action.  There are various ways to do what you seem to be looking for.  The following screencast shows one way to fix your block:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services