Did you mean: 

sheet set custom property field in dynamic block

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jwscad
4887 Views, 11 Replies

sheet set custom property field in dynamic block

I am having trouble getting a field in a multi leader which is part of a block to reference a sheet set custom property. I have fields within mtext in paper space that are not blocked that are referencing correctly but just not in my blocks. Any suggestions? Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
gjrcmb
in reply to: jwscad

Hi,

From what I can tell, it does not seem that you can use Sheet Set fields in model space, as apparently you are trying to do.  I am not an expert in using Fields and Sheet Set Manager, so correct me if I am wrong.

However, you could perhaps use Custom Drawing Properties (DWGPROPS) and the Document Field category to add the Custom Drawing Properties to your MLeader Mtext entities in your block.  Then use the PROPULATE express command to update drawings where the block would be used or perhaps your drawing template with the Custom Drawing Properties.  

I am new to the PROPULATE command, but seems to do the trick.  See the attached copy of the Propulate Express Tool help file.

I also found the following article to be a good reference.  While the article indicates that Propulate does not work with dynamic blocks, it seems like it works fine with AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012, which is what I am running.

Propulate tutorial for DWG properties
http://blog.jtbworld.com/2010/05/propulate-tutorial-for-dwg-properties.html

Message 3 of 12
jwscad
in reply to: gjrcmb

I created the block in model space but will be using it in paper space. The file I uploaded was purged of everything except for the block which I accidentally left in model space. On my side the block references are still not working properly in paper space.

Does it matter where the block was created? Model space vs. paper space? I will look into the DWGPROPS but I already have a fairly extensive sheet set built up with custom property's so it would be nice not to have to move away from that. Thanks for the reply.

John

Message 4 of 12
jwscad

So from what I can tell the only fields that work in blocks that reference a sheet set custom property are attributes?

I can see the potential of using the DWGPROPS. I wonder if you could link a custom DWGPROPS field to a sheet set manager custom field?

Message 5 of 12
gjrcmb

I am with you in regard to Sheet Set Manager.  Use its functionality where ever possible.

I will look at the issue from a paperspace perspective and let you know whether I come up with anything.

Message 6 of 12
gjrcmb

My findings:

First of all it appears that the Custom Sheet Set Property fields need to be used within an attribute for them to work within a block.  You can set the attribute Mode to Preset to avoid being prompted to enter a value, and just use the field values as the default.  So it seems that the leader and at least a portion of the text will need to be separate entities within the block as an attribute cannot be inserted into the MText.

Second of all it appears that working with Attributes and Sheet Set Custom Property in the Block Editor can be tricky, as when I try to insert a Sheet Set Custom Property field into an attribute my custom properties are not available for selection when in Block Editor.  However, I found a way to get around that by just pasting the name of my Sheet Set Custom property into the Custom Property Name.  That seems to work on my end.

Let me know if need more clarification.

Message 7 of 12
jwscad

Yes, looks like the only option are attributes. It also looks like it's impossible to add a attribute to an existing block? They must be first created then blocked. This is a problem as im using dynamic blocks and they have have a bunch of visibility states, stretch and scale actions which I would have to re-build.

Some of the leaders I am trying to create are the same for different visibilty states only located differently. When i was testing this I found that you could not simply copy the attribute, place it in the correct location, than create the block. Visibilty states do not work this way with attributes. There would have to be idividual attributes for each visibilty state no matter if they were referencing the same sheet set custom prop or not.

Any suggestions on adding an attribute with a field linking to a sheet set custom prop to an exisitng block? Thanks for the help!

John

Message 8 of 12
jwscad

You can add a attribute with a field to an existing block with REFEDIT and then ATTSYNC only problem is that you lose all dynamic property's...

Message 9 of 12
gjrcmb

What version of AutoCAD are you running?

Yes, I see that you have done quite a lot of customization with the dyanmic block and that you would like to be able to keep that work.  

With AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012, I am able to add Attributes while in the Block Editor and then add your Custom Sheet Set Property fields by pasting the name of one of your custom properties into the custom property name box (see attached picture).  Perhaps you are running something different than I, and do not have the same functionality.

Try the following:
* Copy the name of one your Custom Properties into something like Notepad.
* Open a copy of your block into Block Editor in a file that is part of the Sheet Set with the Custom Properties.
* Type ATTDEF in Block Editor.  Does the Attribute Definition dialog box open?  I hope so.
* If so, then right click on the default area to Insert Field.
* In the Field dialog box, select CurrentSheetSetCustom under Field Names.  Copy the Custom Property name you have in Notepad under Custom Property Name.  Hit OK.  Name the Attribute and click the Preset mode. Hit OK.
* Save the block and exit Block Editor.  Now insert the block and see if the attribute lists your Custom Property.

As far as having multiple attributes to represent the same information for different visibility states, I think that is just the way it is, and that there is not a way to get around that one.

I am very interested in Sheet Set and dynamic block fuctionality myself.  Anyway to improve the production process is a good thing.  So you're welcome, and hopefully I am actually helping.

Message 10 of 12
jwscad
in reply to: gjrcmb

YES! I think it was the preset option. Got it to work. Thanks for the help. Now I just have to go explode all those multileaders and add the attributes.... Smiley Happy Better than exploding the whole block for sure. Thanks again.

John

edit: Oh and I'm on Autocad 2011 FYI

Message 11 of 12
gjrcmb

Alright.  Glad to here it.  Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 12
Charles_Shade

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
Kudos + gladly accepted if you are feeling magnanimous

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services