Did you mean: 

Saving Dynamic Blocks

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
krmcghee
4068 Views, 2 Replies

Saving Dynamic Blocks

I have created a simple dynamic block with an end view of a 2x6 decking board.  I gave it a linear parameter with an array action so that I can drag it to create a section of a whole deck full of decking boards.  The problem I have is that after I save the dynamic block, then insert it into a new drawing, it is not dynamic.  Here is the procedure I am using:

Open a new Drawing1, draw the end view of the 2x6.

WBLOCK, save the block as 2x6decking.dwg with "Convert to Block" checked.

While still in Drawing1, enter BE to edit it as a dynamic block, select 2x6decking from the drop-down list of blocks to edit. 

The block in the block editor shows up as individual elements, not a block, but I added the dynamic parameter/action to it and clicked on Save, with the name 2x6decking in the save box, then closed the block editor.

Now the block that is in Drawing1 works fine as a dynamic block, just the way I wanted it to, but when I open a new drawing and insert the block "2x6decking", it is not dynamic, it is just a block.  When I go back and open the actual drawing "2x6decking.dwg", it is not dynamic, it is not even a block, just individual elements.

So now, while in the drawing "2x6decking.dwg", I entered BE to edit it again.  In the "Block to Edit or Create" box, I selected <current drawing>, then applied the dynamic properties again, clicked on "Save" with <current drawing> selected in the save box.  When I close the block editor, the block is not dynamic.

What am I doing wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Charles_Shade
in reply to: krmcghee

Nothing wrong.

But what you are doing is INSERTing a Block of a Block.

If you EXPLODE the Inserted Block are the Dynamic Properties now available?

In your Container Drawing (The drawing that you create this block in. This is an old school term as far as Dynamic Blocks are "old school") just create the 2 X 6 the way you want and do not make it a block.

Start from 0,0. (This works better for DynBlk's if they are created near the Origin.)

Now open the Block Editor (BE), choose Current Drawing, and add the Dynamic Properties to it.

(I know, it's a pain to do this again but practice makes perfect. Smiley Happy)

Test and when satisfied Close the BE.

You will be asked to Save the Block - Do so.

At this point CAD will return to Modelspace and you will still have your group of entities without Dynamic Properties.

This is good.

Now INSERT this into the Target drawing.

Does it have Dynamic Properties? It should if everything else is right.

Do you use Palettes?

If so the way you have been creating the DynBlk can be used to populate a Palette with Families of DynBlk's that have been created in that Container Drawing.

But that same 2 x 6 can be a 2 x 4 or 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 or...

Message 3 of 3
krmcghee
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Yes!  I didn't try to explode my dynamic blocks because I deleted them all in frustration, but when I followed your procedure, it worked perfectly.

Thank you so much!

Kim McGhee

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services