Did you mean: 

Rotating two objects in a dynamic block relative angles

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2453 Views, 11 Replies

Rotating two objects in a dynamic block relative angles

I am needing to create a dynamic block for standard (2d) water line fittings that will rotate the thrust block symbol half the angle of the bend.  Can this be done without having to rotate the bend and then rotate the thrust block?  I tried making a list of each rotation and chaining them together, but the thrust block rotates the same angle as the bend when I do that.  I can't seem to come up with a way to make it rotate half the angle so the thrust block symbol is always shown as bisecting the bend angle  Any thoughts?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you post up the example block?

How many degrees of total rotation?  Do you need the full 360?  Can it be incremental or does it need to always be exactly half of an infinite degree variation?  If it can be incremental then it can be done fairly easily with a double-lookup although the number of increments changes the amount of work.  

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

I really just need 90 degrees of rotation which will flip.  I am trying to set up a bend that is inserted as a straight (180 degree) fitting which then can be dynamically rotated from a straight bend to a 90 degree bend.  The thrust block would be at 270 degrees when inserted and then rotate to 225 degrees when the bend is rotated to 90 degrees.  Any ideas how to accomplish this?

Message 4 of 12
Libbya

See attached.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks!  That is actually rotating in the opposite direction than what I need, but I see how you were able to make that happen.  I can use this method on my block to make it do what I need it to do now.  Thanks again for the help!

Message 6 of 12
Libbya

Here's how to add the double lookup (copied from a post I made in another thread).

On the right-click menu of the lookup parameter, select 'Properties'.   See the 'Lookup Parameter RC' jpg below to see what the lookup parameter right-click menu should look like.

Lookup Parameter RC.jpg

When you have selected 'Properties' from the lookup parameter the tool properties window will pop up.  See the 'Lookup Properties' jpg below to see what the lookup properties window should look like.  

Lookup Properties.jpg

You can also see in the picture what it should look like when you click on Actions.  The three little 'browse' dots will appear at the right of the field (the cursor is on them in the jpg).  Click on those and it will take you to the Add Actions window.  See the 'Lookup ADD' jpg to see what the Add Actions window should look like.  

Lookup ADD.jpg

The cursor in the picture in on the Add button.  Click it and a second lookup action will appear on the action object list.  

Lookup OK.jpg

Click OK and you will be back on the tool properties window where now the Actions field should say 'Lookup, Lookup'.  OK again and you will be back to the parameters tab of the authoring palette.  Select the lookup tool and place the lookup parameter in the block.  

You will need to have the system variable BACTIONBARMODE set to 0 instead of 1 in order to see the two lookup actions.  

Double Lookup Added.jpg

Double-click on of them to open the table.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Is there a way to do this as an infinite degree?

I need both to rotate the same amount each time however.

Thanks

Message 8 of 12
Libbya

Infinitely variable reverse rotation is doable if they rotate at the same rate, but it is complicated.  

Message 9 of 12
tlariviereJXRFD

I am interested in the mechanics of this reverse-rotation block, from several years ago.  I am working on a block for a North arrow and I wanted the NESW to rotated as I rotate the north arrow so the letters remain readable.  I have downloaded the block and looked at the parameters, but I can't seem to parse through what is moving what and how they relate.  If you would not mind breaking it down some I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Message 10 of 12
Libbya
in reply to: tlariviereJXRFD

Post your block.  If all you want is to rotate the letter positions but keep the letters vertical that is far more easily accomplished.  Add a chained point/move to each letter.  Rotate the new points.  

Message 11 of 12
tlariviereJXRFD

Thank you for opening that door. I did not consider the simpler way of
doing that by just moving around the circle.  I gave it a try and I was
able to make the chained point/move work.
Thanks again.
Message 12 of 12
gjaffeUSUSV

I have a related question: I have a north arrow and azimuth, I am trying to program the small azimuth arrow angle to be in relation to the large north arrow, as shown below.  Currently, both the large arrow (north) and the small arrow (azimuth) are in relation to the top of the circle. I would like the larger north arrow to be rotatable in relation to the top, while making the small azimuth arrow rotate (and be able to type in) in relation to the large north arrow. Can this be done with a lookup table?

gjaffeUSUSV_0-1618083395538.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services