Reorder custom properties?

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
sdoman
7850 Views, 24 Replies

Reorder custom properties?

Hello,

After spending a lot of time creating a particular dynamic block, I realized that the order of custom properties of this block as shown in the Properties Palette is not organized in an optimal order.

For example I have "Cabinet Width" at the top of the custom properties list, and "Cabinet Height" way down near the bottom. This is going to make my Cad operators hunt around too much for the property they need to adjust.

The apparent order is by creation - first created custom property is listed first, last created is shown last. I really don't want to remake this dynamic block just to get the properties in a logical order.

I was wondering if it is possible to reorder the custom properties as shown in the properties palette? Any ideas out there? Perhaps an AutoLisp solution?

Thanks,
Steve Doman
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
cnibbe
in reply to: sdoman

Hello, i just tried 'BCYCLEORDER' and that doesn't change thing's order... um, only reason i can see using the properties dialog for changing width is if it is a global thing, and then you have to change locations to accommodate the different dimension if they are all in a row anyway. is there a problem with them using the grips and typing the value they want while working with the particular block, or is this a 'user style' issue point i'm missing?
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

wrote in message news:4998992@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello,

After spending a lot of time creating a particular dynamic block, I realized
that the order of custom properties of this block as shown in the Properties
Palette is not organized in an optimal order.

For example I have "Cabinet Width" at the top of the custom properties list,
and "Cabinet Height" way down near the bottom. This is going to make my Cad
operators hunt around too much for the property they need to adjust.

The apparent order is by creation - first created custom property is listed
first, last created is shown last. I really don't want to remake this
dynamic block just to get the properties in a logical order.

I was wondering if it is possible to reorder the custom properties as shown
in the properties palette? Any ideas out there? Perhaps an AutoLisp
solution?

Thanks,
Steve Doman
Message 4 of 25
MikeEng

Did anyone find a solution to this?? I'm wrestling with it right now - and losing!!
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous

I never found an answer to this. The solution we decided on here was to
create custom routines to modify the dynamic blocks. We used visual basic to
create a dialog box the drafters uses vs. going over to the properties
window. If you have anyone that can create custom routines you may be in
business. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

wrote in message news:5503921@discussion.autodesk.com...
Did anyone find a solution to this?? I'm wrestling with it right now - and
losing!!
Message 6 of 25
ColeBennett

I've just run into the same thing, and posted on a different forum. Thought I'd take the opportunity to bump this topic and see if there are any new ideas...

Cole
Message 7 of 25
savaytse66

Boy, I could really use a solution to this. I do not have attributes in my dynamic block, only parameters with actions associated with them (though I often have attributes also). We use the properties palette all the time to modify the parameters, and sometimes it just doesn't make sense how they are ordered. It seems to not even matter what order I create them either.

Thanks,
Chris
Message 8 of 25
Steeve_Vajk

SOLUTION FOUND!!! (AutoCAD 2010, at least, but assuming any flavor that supports DB's will be similar)

In the Block Editor, open the Parameters Manager ("Fx" button on Block Editor toolbar, or PARAMETERS command). This will open a palette window where your block parameters and attributes are listed.

Right-click in the column heading bar. This should bring up a list of available columns (Name, Expression, Value, Type, ORDER, Show, Description)

Check Order, and you should now be able to see that column. By default, these fields will be empty (using creation order). Once you enter a number into any of these fields, the rest will be automatically populated. Reorder your parameters to your hearts content.

Note that pairs of parameters, such as XY and Dist&Angle will always be put together, and will show matching order numbers.

================================
Vanilla AutoCAD 2012/14/15/16
Tags (1)
Message 9 of 25
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Steeve_Vajk

I can confirm that this will work in LT 2012 as well.

Thanks for joining the Forum and for the tip. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 25
AcadAdamLT

Thanks for the tip!

/Adam

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 11 of 25
chevon.popp
in reply to: cnibbe

I believe he means physical width, not global line width. He's talking about having the fields more organized in a way that groups similar properties together. Like, height, width, and length of an object (could be a door, window, stairs, ect.) or like color, finish, gauge, etc. I am wondering the same thing, because I used attributes to set the title blocks and want to group together global attributes accordingly. How to I rearrange once I've set...what if I wanted to add a new attribute as a drawing property and it comes at the end but doesn't make sense to list in at the end?

Message 12 of 25
cschnarr

Great answer Steeve_Vajk!!! Greatly appreciated.

Message 13 of 25
Steven.desmet

Hi, 

Any idea if there is a similar solution for the custom properties in the Project setup window? 

Regards

Steven

Message 14 of 25
mreineman

Why can't I edit the Order field for any of my parameters? Double clicking in the Order column does nothing. I can edit the Name and Expression column cells just fine.

Message 15 of 25
hwalker
in reply to: mreineman

Can you post a picture of your parameters dialog box. As you can see from mine below double clicking in the order column works just fine

Capture.JPG

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 16 of 25
mreineman
in reply to: hwalker

Sure, but there's no point. I can't screenshot my inability to double click in the Order column.Parameters manager.png

Sorry for my delayed reply. I very deliberately ticked the forum's "Email me when someone replies" checkbox when posting, but never got an email when you replied last Thursday. And yes, I checked my spam box.

Message 17 of 25
hwalker
in reply to: mreineman

Ah the reason why is you cannot change the "Type in value" attributes that way.

You need to right click on one of the attributes then in the dialog box select ATTRIBUTE ORDER. Then you can change them. See the first image below. The second dialog box will pop up and then you can move the attribute up and down as you see fit. See the second image below.

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 18 of 25
mreineman
in reply to: hwalker

Ah, perfect! Intuitive as usual. I had to do an ATTSYNC to see the revised order.
Message 19 of 25
tj6TCQ5

I'm glad to see a solution to this which works for the exact problem originally posted but when I try to use this solution I come up with a new problem. Reordering the attribute definitions changes the geometry of my block as soon as I save out of it. 

Attached is the original but when I rearrange the attributes to the order I want:  Reference, Toptitle, Titletext, Scale, Detnum the geometry switches and moves the detnum to the reference location along with the circle around it. It is properly places in the block editor before I save out but is subsequently moved the next time I enter.

Tags (2)
Message 20 of 25
hwalker
in reply to: tj6TCQ5

You do not need to use two linear parameters to do your stretching. You can use one linear parameter and add two actions to it.

I've left them in the block below so you can experiment.

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services