Did you mean: 

Problem with stretch and rotate

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dbroad
1696 Views, 4 Replies

Problem with stretch and rotate

In the attached demonstration block, if you stretch the block, the angle parameter changes on the properties palette but the center point and orientation of the rotated section stay correct.  This certainly seems like a but to me.  Can anyone confirm?

Steps:

1. Insert this block into a drawing

2. Turn on the properties palette and select the block.  Observe the angle value.

3. Change the distance1 parameter (stretch the block down).

4. Observe the angle value for the block reference.

5. Set the angle1 value to 0.

What is going on?  Why does the angle value change even though the centerpoint and grip stay oriented relative to one another?

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Libbya
in reply to: dbroad

I guess you could be called it a bug, but it would be arguable.  It is reacting that way because you are stretching the rotation parameter.  I would side with you and say it is a bug as the stretch window includes the rotation parameter's base point but regardless, there is an easy solution   You can remove the rotation parameter from the stretch selection set, add a move parameter to distance1 and move the rotation parameter instead of stretching it.

Message 3 of 5
dbroad
in reply to: Libbya

It is stretching both the rotation parameter grip and the related center, so the angle should not change.  Deselecting the rotation parameter from the stretch action would leave the rotation center at the wrong point.  I think it is a bug but would be open to more discussion concerning your rationale.

Message 4 of 5
Libbya
in reply to: dbroad

As I mentioned, I would also call it a bug, but the solution I offered is easy and works correctlyif you do both of the steps that I outlined.  1.  Remove rotation parameter from stretch action.  2.  Add move action to the Distance1 parameter and add rotation to the move action's selection set.  

See the attached file for the updated and correctly functioning block.

While I would agree that it is a bug, I would rather have Autodesk ignore this one and focus on other items where there isn't a simple workaround. 

Message 5 of 5
dbroad
in reply to: Libbya

Aha, got it now. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services