Did you mean: 

Parametric constraints to symetically place two rows of slotted holes

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
donm
2175 Views, 6 Replies

Parametric constraints to symetically place two rows of slotted holes

Somewhat new to parametric blocks, I've been working on parametric slotted base plate for a heat exchanger in which I've been successful in making the slot sizes change symetrically as well as the negative and positive x placement symetrical, unable to get the right hand row of slotted holes placed  symetrical in the positive and negative y axis with the left hand row of slotted holes. Can anyone give me a clue on how this may be done?  I am running 2010 AutoCAD within Windows 7.

So far the parameters work in the followin way:

d1 controls slot length with an equal contraint on all the other slots

r1 controls slot radius with an equal contraint on all the other slots

d2 controls base plate width with a symetrical constraint set to the vertical line in the defpoint layer which has a fixed constraint

d3 controls base plate height with a symetrical constraint to the horizontal line in the defpoint layer which has a fixed constraint

d4 controls x from edge of plate with a symetrical constraint on the vertical line of that slot and the one above it set to the vertical centerline

d5 controls y from the bottom of the plate with a symetrical constraint on the radiuses of the left upper and lower slot to the horizontal centerline

I just can't figure out how to get the right hand row of slots to place symetrically in the y axis consistent with the left hand row. If the slots were square, or if I could somehow fix a defpoint horizontal line to center of each slot, I could make it work, using that as a symetrical contraint to the horizontal centerline.  But aparently, because the slots are radiused it won't. If I try to use a symetrical contraint on the radiuses or the vertical lines of the left and right slots it returns an error. And all the slots and the outline of the base plate must be on layer 0 as the edited drawing will be used to import into a CNC burn table software which selects layer 0 as the "burn" layer upon which the G code written.

Help will be much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Libbya
in reply to: donm

IMO, parameters/actions play a lot nicer than constraints.  I could accomplish all of what you are trying to do a lot more easily without using any constraints at all and only using parameters/actions.  

Anyway, is this what you are after?

Message 3 of 7
donm
in reply to: Libbya

I have no idea since I cannot open the file. As I stated in my post, I am running v.2010 and apparently your file was created with a new version. But thanks for your reply. I'll have to read up on parameters/actions. Not familiar with that -- only parameters with constraints.
Message 4 of 7
Libbya

Ah yes, the backsave...  See if this works any better.

Message 5 of 7
donm

Yes, thank you, that works perfectly. May I ask how this was accomplished? I'm unable to figure out what is going on with the vertical lines between the upper and lower rows of slots.
Message 6 of 7
Libbya

I added the two reference lines between the arc midpoints.  I made the line endpoints and relative arc midpoints coincident and made the two lines equal.  

Message 7 of 7
donm

Got it. Thanks so much. Much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services