Did you mean: 

Oval/slot headache

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
GilesPhillips
1273 Views, 6 Replies

Oval/slot headache

I'm trying to create a dynamic block for a slotted hole, where I can specify and vary the width and length independatly.

To add complications, I also want the centrelines to stretch accordingly.

I've made some progress, it's 75% there, however certain combinations seem to 'break' the block.

Any thoughts or guidance on this? It's kinda doing my nut..

ta

G

ACad, MEP, Revit, 3DS Max
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: GilesPhillips

Hi GilesPhillips, I started looking into this and it's a real mind-boggler, my time has run up so I gotta go, I leave you some thoughts..

Firstly, I started by renaming all the actions for their purposes and placed them so you easily could see what controls what, See "capture.png".

Secondly, I looked over the function of paramter "Distance1", this one is a crucial parameter. It's a chained paramter that is being controlled by to many actions resulting in a lose of association, you need to find someway of controlling this one better, also this parameter needs to be separated into 2 parameters, one controlling the top, and one controlling the bottom, see "Capture.png".

I regret to say I didn't have time to see this through and even tho this might already be clear to you I wanted to give my input, the reason why I don't upload the modified .dwg is because I screwed it all up and it would only cause mind-boggle for anyone who looks at it.

I hope it helps to some degree and if you do finish it i'd love to see the solution here =P

Good luck!

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 3 of 7
GilesPhillips
in reply to: AcadAdamLT

Hi adam,

thanks for your thoughts, I'll certainly look at the chaining thing again - I'm a little vague on how it works so I usually take the scattergun approach. Most the time it works, this time it just boggled me.

Rest assured I'll post the finished article once I've figured it out.

G

Message 4 of 7

Stretch this Vertically before you stretch Horizontal.

It does fall apart otherwise.

Message 5 of 7
ojuris
in reply to: GilesPhillips

Try this

Juris

Message 6 of 7
GilesPhillips
in reply to: ojuris

Brilliant!

Nice one - it would never have occurred to me to use the Move action on this sort of problem.

Many thanks!

G

Message 7 of 7

Amazing that it takes that much manipulation for such a simple shape.

The MOVE for a Scale Action is a tough one to remember (At least for me). This Moves the center point of the Scale Action which in this case is Independant. Otherwise the center stays put and the scale of the arc is off since this is no longer tied to the geometry of the rest of the block. This is more pronounced if the Scale Action is left Dependant because the placement of the Center relative to the Parameter controlling it scales as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services