Did you mean: 

Lookup Table 'Custom' Issue

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Ron_M
999 Views, 10 Replies

Lookup Table 'Custom' Issue

SMACNA gutter block that works great sitting in its own base drawing but when inserted from the library the dreaded 'CUSTOM' parameter is added to the drop downs and all lookups must be manipulated before any changes will be made applied to the block.  I've got a feeling that I am missing something very simple but after several hours of trying I haven't come upon what that might be.  Anyone want to take a look?  I would appreciate it.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Libbya
in reply to: Ron_M

In order for the Bridge lookup to work immediately when the block is inserted, the base position of the input parameters must match the default visibility state.  The initial x position of your three input point parameters is -2'6" and that does not match the initial visibility state of the block and actually does not match any of your visibility states.

Your initial visibility state is A-A which corresponds to an base x position of 1 for all three of your input parameters.  Change the base x property of each of the input points to 1 (and don't change the default visibility state) and your multi-vis will work immediately upon insertion.See attached.

Message 3 of 11
Ron_M
in reply to: Libbya

Thank you.

So I had 1-11-1 (x positions) instead of 1-1-1.  Sometimes it is the simplest things that screw me up.

Message 4 of 11
Libbya

I don't mean to be nitpicky, I'm just trying to help with understanding the issue and solution.  

The initial value is set by each point's location within the block definition.  In the file you posted above, the initial 'base X' values were not 1,11 and 1.  They were -2'6" for all three of your input parameters.  The positions of the points within the block were; Left Pt (-2'6",0), Style Pt(-2'6",-6") and Right Pt(-2'6",-12).  Your 'Combine' lookup table is looking only at the X values of each.  Because of this, in order for the lookup to work when the block is initially inserted, the base x value (position on the x axis) of each of the input points  must match the initial visibility state.  The initial visibility state that is displayed when the block is inserted is the one at the TOP of the list of visibility states (it is not the state that was current when the block was saved).  The visibility state that is at the top of your list of visibility states is A-A.   In the Combine Lookup table, the X values required to display the A-A visibility state are 1, 1 and 1.  The mismatch of having your three points at x=-2'6" within the block and the initial visibility state matching x=1 was causing a state within the block that did not match any row in the Combine Lookup table and because of that, the initial state of the block was 'custom'.  When each of the three single lookups were changed the position of their corresponding input point was changed.  Because x=-2'6" is not a value on the Combine Lookup table for any of the three input parameters, when the block was initially inserted, all three single lookups needed to be changed in order to result in an input value that was on the Combine Lookup table.  Once that was done, the block started working correctly.  

As mentioned, the easiest solution, IMO, was to change the location of each of the input point parameters within the block so that, for each of them, x=1.  I selected all three and moved them so that their new positions within the block were;  Left Pt (1,0), Style Pt(1,-6") and Right Pt(1,-12).  Those thee x values of 1 then match the Combine Lookup values for the A-A state which is at the top of the visibility states list and, Bob's your uncle, the block then works when initially inserted.  

Message 5 of 11
Ron_M

I will take all of your nitpicks with a smile.  You've never failed to teach me something new.

Bob's my uncle?

Message 6 of 11
Libbya

It's a common British phrase:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob's_your_uncle

Message 7 of 11
Jon-MarcB

I found this discussion very instructive and tried to apply what was said when I faced a similar issue. However, the problem still remains in my 'Weld" block. Can anyone tell me what I am missing here? I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

Attached is the block I'm working on

Message 8 of 11
Libbya
in reply to: Jon-MarcB

The custom option is not listed in any of your lookups.  Only On/Off shows.  Maybe you just need to restart cad or your computer.

Message 9 of 11
Jon-MarcB

In the drawing with the block it shows up just fine but when I try to insert it into another drawing, it comes up with "Custom" for every other option (basically every 'X' value parameter). I tried shutting down my computer and autocad itself and there was no change....

Weld Issue Screenshot.png

Message 10 of 11
Libbya
in reply to: Jon-MarcB

It is because your basepoint is not placed at 0,0 within the block.  The value of the point parameters within block editor are relative to the origin.  Once inserted, the values are relative to the base point parameter position.  On insertion, all of your point parameter X values change.  You should never place the basepoint parameter anywhere other than 0,0 unless you have a really darn good reason.  Instead you should adjust the linework, parameters, and actions so that the base point is at 0,0.  If you move the base point dynamically within your block, you must also move all of the point parameters the same distance in the same direction in order to maintain their values.  The easy way to accomplish this is to use a chained point/move that moves basepoint and all input parameters.  Then be sure any action that you want to affect the base point position includes the chained point/move instead of the base point directly.    

Message 11 of 11
Jon-MarcB

You are a real life-saver!!! That simple error was messing everything up. Thanks a million, it worked like a charm. Smiley LOL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services