Did you mean: 

Lookup Multi-Vis How-To Screencast

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
Libbya
7563 Views, 34 Replies

Lookup Multi-Vis How-To Screencast

Here's a screencast that shows how to add multi-vis selection to an existing block.  This block switches 10 different valve types and gives the option of normally open or normally closed for each valve type.  Instead of scrolling through the visibility list of 20 options I figured it would be a nice touch to give one selection for the 10 valve types and one selection for NO/NC.

The block funcitons as follows.  One of the selection lookups changes the X value of the input point parameter.  The other selection lookup changes the Y value of the input point parameter.  The double lookup uses one table to look at the position X and position Y of the input point parameter and determines the row.  The other table uses that row name to force the visibility state to the desired value. 

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Libbya

Cool bean stuff.

Tell me about Position1X and what that relates to. I'm not understanding the 1 & 2 value. Though you do speak of this in the Original Post.

Message 3 of 35
Libbya
in reply to: Charles_Shade

The Position1 point parameter is moved around by the two selection single-lookups.  The top one changes the Position1 X value in order to switch between normally open (NO) and normally closed (NC) - the visual difference being hatch ON or hatch OFF.  The bottom selection lookup switches between the valve type and changeses the Position1 Y value accordingly.  The double-lookup looks at the Position1 X and Y values to determine the appropriate row on the first table and on the second table switches to the visibility state that matches that row.  Does that explanation help?

Message 4 of 35
bb1352

Well Done!

"The Value of anything is upon the amount of the time you spend on it" (Behzad)

I need your vote in Idea Station on below items. Please check and vote if you like it happen. Thanks.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-ideas/kudos-linked-to-original-posts/idi-p/6356475
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-ideas/block-library/idi-p/6311236
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-ideastation/community-ranking-idea/idi-p/6267341
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-ideastation/biography-in-profile-line-break/idi-p/6267505
Message 5 of 35
robmarsillo
in reply to: bb1352

Hi, would it be possible, using your method (use of lookup tables) to have a parent dynamic block (with a visibility parameter) that controls the number of instances of the same child dynamic block, but will also allow each child block to to control its respective visibility states?

I hope the above makes sense.

Thanks, Rob

Message 6 of 35
Libbya
in reply to: robmarsillo

There is no way that I know of for one block to control the visibility state (or any other parameter) of another block with stock AutoCAD.  If you have a dynamic block within another dynamic block, there is no way to control the 'inner' block's dynamic parameters.  

Message 7 of 35
robmarsillo

Thanks for the reply, however could this be accomplished using your method all in one dynamic block. Basically, what I'm looking to do is have a set of visibility states that control the physical representation say of a screw head, have this repeated x number of times in the same block. All the while being able to control the number of screw heads visible, in the varying visibility states.

Thanks Rob,
Message 8 of 35
Libbya

It sounds like it might be doable.  Please post a thread dedicated to your issue and include the file/blocks in that thread.

Message 9 of 35
robmarsillo

Libbya,

Sorry, for the delay, I was away for a little while.  Honestly, I appreciate any the help you can give me, it is very generous of you.  I've attached a drawing that includes a dynamic block (BLOCK 1) which has a visibility parameter.  You'll noticed that this block has been copied over (4) times.  What I would like to be able to do is control the number of copies of this block, while still being able to control the visibility state of each individual copy.  I do not know if this is possible to accomplish all in one dynamic block.

Thanks

Message 10 of 35
Libbya

Please start your own thread dedicated to your block and I will post to it.  I'd rather not fill up this thread with tangents.  

Message 11 of 35
jmg007

Just found this post as i was trying to figure out how to do double lookup's.  THANK YOU, it worked out perfectly...   have a great day.

John Gray

Message 12 of 35
kubaszymanski

Hi! 

It is wonderful solution. I wondering if I can do this:

1) I have 3 Types . ie. Triangle, Square, Circle

2) Each can have options: 
a) Trinagle + X on left, Triangle + X on right, Tringle with X on both
b) Square + X on left, Square + X on right, Square with X on both
c) Circle + X on left, Circle + X on right,

as you an see Circle have only two states. If I am doing sth like this the list which steering X have always three options. Of course "X on both" didn't work on Circle but I have it on the list. Is any way to eliminate this? 

Hope that is clear. If not I will draw this and provide dwg, in real world I have more complicated block that I'm not allowed to share. 

Message 13 of 35
hwalker
in reply to: kubaszymanski

You need 3 lookup parameters

Parameter 1 has Triangle, Circle and Square in it

Parameter 2 has Left X, Right X, Both X in it

Parameter 3 has Left X and Right X only.

Parameter 1 needs to be visible in all visibility states

Parameter 2 only needs to be visible in Triangle and Square states

Parameter 3 only needs to be visible in Circle States

Position Parameter 2 and 3 exactly on top of each other in their visibility states. See the attached block for an example.

Select the block and click on the bottom lookup first. Note the items. Now change the block using the top lookup. Now select the bottom lookup and notice the values have changed.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 14 of 35
kubaszymanski
in reply to: hwalker

thanks a lot Hwalker. I was wondering if there is a chance to do this and have only two. I will add third one. 

Many thanks and take care!

Jacob

Message 15 of 35
kubaszymanski

Okay, I have another one.  In yours drawing You have Look ups to each Visibility. So there is no problem to have them on or off.

What if we change first parameter. There won't be different visible states. It will be one Rectangular and parameter 1 will change its width.

Parameter 1 has 10", 20", 30" 

Parameter 2 has Left X, Right X, Both X in it

Parameter 3 has Left X and Right X only.

If I choose 10" or 20" there will be Parameter 2

If I choose 30" there will be Parameter 3

I used parameters and visibility states to draw less but as you can see it causes other problems.

I did drawing for this. 

Message 16 of 35
hwalker

It's the first time I've done it this way. I used a block properties table instead. Have a look at the attached drawing. My block is the one below yours.

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 17 of 35
kubaszymanski

I really appreciate this. It is quite nice solution. I'll try to use it in my project.  

Take care!

Message 18 of 35

Is there any way to change these numbers (10,20,30) to text string? 

10 -> narrow

20 -> normal

30 -> wide 

In my project numbers are not as straight and it would be helpful.

Message 19 of 35
hwalker

Unfortunately I don't think there is. I only have LT here so I'm not sure if it is possible to and an extra column and give it the names you wish and then hide from the user the width column

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 20 of 35
Libbya

Yes, it is possible.  Add an invisible attribute and add it to the block properties table.  Place the attribute column to the left of the distances and add the appropriate text to the cells of the table.  You can also use a user parameter with 'type' set to 'string" instead of an attribute in the same way but I am not sure if LT supports user parameters.  See screencast:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services