Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to separate objects with coincident grips...?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
edweberg
2800 Views, 6 Replies

How to separate objects with coincident grips...?

Hi Everyone,

I have a block which represents a piece of equipment on a factory floor.  It has two subcomponents which are blocked with the main equipment.  Consider a rectangle and two smaller circles blocked together.  Each of the subcomponents (circles) has a point parameter and a move feature so that the components can be moved independently from each other and from the main equipment. 

Here's the issue: If a user accidentaly (or purposely) places the grip from one of the subcomponents snapped to the grip of the other subcomponent, then the two seem forever attached; when I try to grab the grip of one of the subcomponents to separate them, both grips get selected and both components move together.  At this point the two components appear to be inseparable with the grips permanently joined.

Here's the question: Is there a way to separate the two components once their grips are made coincedent?  Or is this a case of "just don't snap the grips together"?  I'd like there to be a way to pull the components apart. 

Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Erik

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Charles_Shade
in reply to: edweberg

- You can use Draworder commands on the Parameters to move one atop the other. From there if you click on the Grip you should get the one and then move it to where you want. Likely they are just in the same space.

- You could also delete and recreate the Parameter and do the same.

Grips can be moved from the ends of the Parameters without changing the behaviour of the Parameter's Action for reasons as you describe. There are cases, such as stretching a reactagle both X and Y at the same time, that you want the grips to coincide.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 7
SRSDS
in reply to: edweberg

You can modify position coordinates using the PROPERTIES pane to separate them.

Handy if you want to change multiple block properties together.

Message 4 of 7
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: SRSDS

Isn't it possible to use selection cycling?

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 5 of 7
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: AcadAdamLT

Ohh nevermind, forgot that it's the same block reference and selection cycling doesn't respond to grips ^^

Modifying the values of the parameter in block reference properties is your best bet.

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 6 of 7
Charles_Shade
in reply to: SRSDS

Message 7 of 7
edweberg
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thanks everyone for all the replies.  It looks like going into properties and adjusting one of the overlapping objeccts is the easiest way to go.  I'm going to have to label the moveable components with the position number; to simplify I described just two sub components.  The equipment I'm working with has over thirty sub components.  But placing a visible tag on each one which relates to the position number will allow a user to quickly identify which one needs to be adjusted in the properties manager.  I think this will work.

Thanks so much!

Erik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services