Dynamic Blocks

Dynamic Blocks

Valued Contributor
edweberg
Message 1 of 7 (1,403 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to separate objects with coincident grips...?

1403 Views, 6 Replies
05-26-2011 07:36 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have a block which represents a piece of equipment on a factory floor.  It has two subcomponents which are blocked with the main equipment.  Consider a rectangle and two smaller circles blocked together.  Each of the subcomponents (circles) has a point parameter and a move feature so that the components can be moved independently from each other and from the main equipment. 

Here's the issue: If a user accidentaly (or purposely) places the grip from one of the subcomponents snapped to the grip of the other subcomponent, then the two seem forever attached; when I try to grab the grip of one of the subcomponents to separate them, both grips get selected and both components move together.  At this point the two components appear to be inseparable with the grips permanently joined.

Here's the question: Is there a way to separate the two components once their grips are made coincedent?  Or is this a case of "just don't snap the grips together"?  I'd like there to be a way to pull the components apart. 

Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Erik

Ohh nevermind, forgot that it's the same block reference and selection cycling doesn't respond to grips ^^

Modifying the values of the parameter in block reference properties is your best bet.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 2 of 7 (1,401 Views)

Re: How to separate objects with coincident grips...?

05-26-2011 09:41 AM in reply to: edweberg

- You can use Draworder commands on the Parameters to move one atop the other. From there if you click on the Grip you should get the one and then move it to where you want. Likely they are just in the same space.

- You could also delete and recreate the Parameter and do the same.

Grips can be moved from the ends of the Parameters without changing the behaviour of the Parameter's Action for reasons as you describe. There are cases, such as stretching a reactagle both X and Y at the same time, that you want the grips to coincide.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Mentor
SRSDS
Message 3 of 7 (1,390 Views)

05-29-2011 03:41 AM in reply to: edweberg

You can modify position coordinates using the PROPERTIES pane to separate them.

Handy if you want to change multiple block properties together.

Valued Mentor
AcadAdamLT
Message 4 of 7 (1,384 Views)

05-29-2011 10:36 PM in reply to: SRSDS

Isn't it possible to use selection cycling?

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2014
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Valued Mentor
AcadAdamLT
Message 5 of 7 (1,384 Views)

05-29-2011 10:37 PM in reply to: AcadAdamLT

Ohh nevermind, forgot that it's the same block reference and selection cycling doesn't respond to grips ^^

Modifying the values of the parameter in block reference properties is your best bet.

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2014
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 6 of 7 (1,376 Views)

05-30-2011 04:47 PM in reply to: SRSDS

Good thought.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Valued Contributor
edweberg
Message 7 of 7 (1,366 Views)

05-31-2011 07:21 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thanks everyone for all the replies.  It looks like going into properties and adjusting one of the overlapping objeccts is the easiest way to go.  I'm going to have to label the moveable components with the position number; to simplify I described just two sub components.  The equipment I'm working with has over thirty sub components.  But placing a visible tag on each one which relates to the position number will allow a user to quickly identify which one needs to be adjusted in the properties manager.  I think this will work.

Thanks so much!

Erik

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.