Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with elevaton+plan view coordinated dyn block please

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
rapidcad
564 Views, 7 Replies

Help with elevaton+plan view coordinated dyn block please

Alright fellow blockers, I could use another set of eyes on this problem dynamic block. I am trying to figure out a concept to stretch an elevation view of a rectangular box on an incline while providing the plan view (foreshortened) below it (basically, I am faking two of the three typical views of a 3d object –plan and elevation).  There are some things that make this easy, such as the fact that I have a small list of incline angles (9, 12, 15, 18, 21 & 24 degrees). Functionally, I am trying to stretch the elevation view parallel to its top plane and have the foreshortened plan view stretch to match.  I would love to be able to grip the angle as well and also adjust the plan view accordingly.

The challenge that I ran into was that I need the block table for a future parameter set for the motor I will be showing – so I can’t use a block table. One more limiting factor is the sequence of placement. I’m setting it up so that the user will set the plan view location, stretch/rotate the elevation view, then reposition the elevation view somewhere off to the side in model space for an elevation assembly view for final annotation on a layout tab. This will unfortunately make it so that the views can’t share the same stretch window because they won’t remain so close together or aligned.

When I tried using a block table earlier, I was able to almost get this to work, but the best I could do was to get only one grip stretch parameter  to function – I want to be able to stretch both elevation length and rotation angle.  The block table has all the trigonometric data for the foreshortened lengths. Alas though, I really need to reserve the block table for motor choices I will be adding Smiley Sad, so I include it only to help visualize the concept I was driving at.

Can anyone see a path to do this? I have tried countless variations without success.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ron.

ADN CAD Developer/Operator
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rapidcad
in reply to: rapidcad

Well alrighty then - nobody's home I guess <crickets>. Cat Sad I haven't been totally depending on others - been helping myself on this problem. I definitely made some progress. Here's my latest stab at this. I still would like to eliminate the pull down and cause the stretch grips to manipulate both views simultaneously.

If anyone sees a way to get me there I would appreciate it if you would share your insights.

Message 3 of 8
Thomas.l

have a look at this block, this is as far as i know the furthest you will get whit block property table (the block will respond on moving the rotation parameter and the stretch parameter).

If you also want to add several foot distance of your block i think you have to look at double lookup.

regards

thomas

Message 4 of 8
rapidcad
in reply to: Thomas.l

Thank you so much again Thomas! I really appreciate others helping me think things through. I had tried this already in my original post, concept A, but was struggling to allow the elevation view stretch grip, rotation grip and plan stretch grips to function yet always force the others to comply with the table. I eventually realized two things:

1. You can allow only up to two grips for a user to manipulate geometry if you are going to force compliance through a block table.

2. I will need my block table for very complex motor data selection once I finish this part of the block, so I cannot use a block table even if it works for this situation.

My colleague from our parent company came up with a fantastic solution, which frankly, I haven't quite been able to completely build on my own yet. He's doing something in the chaining and order of selection that I haven't understood yet, but it works perfectly and without any tables at all!

Message 5 of 8
Thomas.l

Whel that is an interesting aproach!

Here is my one version, it might help you understand.

Regards

Thomas

Message 6 of 8
rapidcad

Thanks Thomas - it looks very similar to my coleague's block, but you found a way to align the xy parameter with the rotate. that's something I had started out with but my coleague had set his up using the corners. I like this. I might go back and change mine now.  Thnaks again for lendig your expertise.

Message 7 of 8
rapidcad

Ooh, I couldn't stop until I got here.

Smiley Happy

True constraint trig driven plan view from elevation!

I don't know if I'll be able to use it, but at least now I understand how these darn dimensional constraints and trig functions work!

Since it was hard to find an example of this, I am posting my creation...

Hope this helps someone sometime.

Ron

Message 8 of 8
Thomas.l

That also is an interesting solution.

Did you get the block working the same way I did?

regards

Thomas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services