13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1084 Views, 13 Replies

field update in dynamic blocks

I am trying to enhance a dynamic block that will contain
(among other things) a callout for the window. I have
designed it in such a way that the user will enter the
attribute info via the properties palette. One of the attributes is the window_id that I want to use to update the callout attribute (see attached). I cannot seem to get the field to update properly. Any suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Emerald,

Have U created this image through Managed Code (i.e.) C#, if so, & if U dont' mind can U send me this coding please, I'm in desperate need of this. I'm trying to block one or more images with text, but I couldn't get any idea, can U help me, if possible send the code to my id ---- prakash.c@blaze.co.in

regards
Prakash.C
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

hi

the drawing was generated from the typical block editor screens. no coding involved. by the way, i have decided to go with a different way so this issue is no longer relevent. the post should be dropped.
Message 4 of 14
rornelas

Before this post is dropped, I have a similar question. I have been trying to do this as well, adding a callout using fields within Mtext. These fields reference the block's attributes. I have not found a method of updating these fields. The help files point out that fields within Xrefs & blocks must be updated within the Xref due to compatibility with older versions. May I ask how you ended up resolving this issue?
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

All you need is REGEN and the block will updated.
Message 6 of 14
rornelas

Nope. REGEN does not work. Neither does UPDATEFIELD, printing, saving, closing and opening the drawing, or etransmitting. I am not trying to display the attributes themselves, rather I am using fields within MText. It is these fields that will not update.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

When part of a block definition, fields contained in mtext objects will not update once the block is placed in the drawing. Only fields contained in attributes will update.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

They can update in just text, but it must be a BlockPlaceHolder........

wrote in message news:5206793@discussion.autodesk.com...
When part of a block definition, fields contained in mtext objects will not
update once the block is placed in the drawing. Only fields contained in
attributes will update.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for the correction, I swear I couldn't do that before... Can't actually insert a Placeholder field in a text or mtext though.

Anyway, I tried opening up the OP's posted dwg and get an Educational version warning which locked up AutoCAD.
Message 10 of 14
jatkiss

this is not strictly true.
i have inserted a field using Mtext in our company's title box, to display the filename, and this works fine on every version of autocad that supports the use of fields
Message 11 of 14
rornelas

I was just about to post a reply stating that the filename usually does not change from the time that the block was inserted, and if it did, the field would not update. But I decided I'd better try it first, and the field DID update! Can anyone tell me why some fields (within Mtext) will update, but others will not?
Message 12 of 14
tbelanger2SZNF
in reply to: rornelas

Having similar issues. I block edit a dynamic block so I can change the math in a formula (just a subtract 3 instead of a subtract 2). Any previously placed "dynamic" blocks do not update but any newly placed instances operate fine. I tried to fool autocad by redefining out side my main drawing, inserting the fixed version and trying a sneaky blockreplace but that does not seem to work on dynamic blocks either. Do I need to manually replace all 30 blocks and enter the half dozen or so values for each all over again? It would likely be quicker to explode and edit the mtext but the clients block would be nice to maintain in our drawings. I feel like I'm missing something simple here.

Tim Belanger
Senior Engineering Technician
Strum Consulting
Message 13 of 14
hwalker
in reply to: tbelanger2SZNF

Have you tried an ATTSYNC and then a REGEN?

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 14 of 14
tbelanger2SZNF
in reply to: hwalker

I will as soon as I'm back in the office. thanks.

Tim Belanger
Senior Engineering Technician
Strum Consulting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services