Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynimic Blocks with Fields?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
bchampion
527 Views, 12 Replies

Dynimic Blocks with Fields?

I’m trying to create a dynamic block that has an attribute that users the Visibility state as its value. I’m having problems doing this. I can create a dynamic block and then create an attribute that looks up the blocks visibility state. But this means that I cannot insert the block. What do I need to do to get this to work? I’m not very familiar with Dynamic Blocks so can someone please give me a step by step example of that to do. Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
bchampion
in reply to: bchampion

Here is an example of what I'm trying to do, but as you can see It does not work, If someone gets it to work, please tell me how..
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

I'm not 100% sure I understand your problem but if you want an attribute to show the same name as the vis state then just create on attribute for each vis state and use that vis states name as the default.
Message 4 of 13
cnibbe

try this...
Message 5 of 13
bchampion

That is exactly what I want to do, so how did you do it?
Message 6 of 13
bchampion

This Attribute then link up with a data base so i cannot have multiple attributes.
Message 7 of 13
cnibbe

edit the attribute, and highlight the field text. you can 'edit field' w/ a right click to see what i did. I think all i did was change how you linked to the vis parameter. (sorry, yesterday was a loooooong day) 😉
Message 8 of 13
bchampion

OK, it almost works, I can get it to do what you have done. I then wblock it. Then insert it into the drawing that links up with the database. But instead of the visibility state it uses the default value you first put in, "Visibility". I think when creating the Attribute you cannot edit it after the block definitions have been created. When I'm in Block editor I, select the attribute and add a field. In the Objects Category there is a Field name "BlockPlaceholder" In this there is a Visibility reference. I cannot get this to work but it sounds like the right place to look. Is there any other way of getting the attribute to look up the visibility state of the block. The attribute needs to be included in the block.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Did you test with only one insertion?

I had the same issue until I inserted more than one instance of the block.
Then it worked ok. Why? I dunno. (AutoCAD 2006 SP1) The attached sample
works even after I deleted the first instance of the block.

--
R. Robert Bell

wrote in message news:5200665@discussion.autodesk.com...
OK, it almost works, I can get it to do what you have done. I then wblock
it. Then insert it into the drawing that links up with the database. But
instead of the visibility state it uses the default value you first put in,
"Visibility". I think when creating the Attribute you cannot edit it after
the block definitions have been created. When I'm in Block editor I, select
the attribute and add a field. In the Objects Category there is a Field
name "BlockPlaceholder" In this there is a Visibility reference. I cannot
get this to work but it sounds like the right place to look. Is there any
other way of getting the attribute to look up the visibility state of the
block. The attribute needs to be included in the block.
Message 10 of 13
bchampion

I just tried testing. It works, but when I try to Insert it into the program, CADWorx, it does not work. The dynamic block still works, just the attribute is the default value, not the visibility state.
Message 11 of 13
bchampion

Well I was taken off the Dynamic block project. But now I'm back on it.

Below is the block I have created.

When I wblock it, then insert it into a new drawing it does not work (even if I insert it more than once), the old problem of the default value for the type still comes up.

R. Robert Bell's on off dynamic block works, so I know it is possible, so how do i do it?

If someone gets it to work please attach the wblocked file and tell what you had to do to get it to work.

Thanks Message was edited by: bchampion
Message 12 of 13
Rudedog

I tried attaching a file, but it does not want to attach at the moment. Too Slow??? It seemed you already had the solution.

I first defined a block with an attribute. Inserted a copy. THEN, I opened that same block within the Block Editor and modifed the attribute to have a default value. I assigned a field from "Objects" > "BlockPlaceholder" > "VisiblityState". I saved and exited the editor. THEN, I synched up the attribute with "battman".

I had an example, but it will not attach at the moment. The text will not update if you change state. You must do a regen to update the field.

Rudedog
Message 13 of 13
coryv

I havnt been following this thread so im sorry if this has been suggested, but why not reference the feild to a lookup instead of the vis states?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services