Did you mean: 

Dynamics Block Weird Behavior

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
kkline116
371 Views, 8 Replies

Dynamics Block Weird Behavior

Hello all,

I'm struggling with some of my dynamic blocks. Take a look at the image below to see what they're doing. The top (green) conveyor turn was rotated, and it left part of it behind.

Capture.PNG

The second, the operator, was switched from "packing" to "typing" and, while it moved the arms in, it rotated them down.

Any ideas what's going on?

Additionally, I need some help with that "turn-pro" block. I have it so when they select the size, it scales and expands, but I want it to expand and scale while maintaining the oringinal insertion point. In other words, when you put the block against the "straight section" of a conveyor, when you scale the size, it needs to do so around the mid point of the original line.

The goal is to take the "straight section", place it, and have this turn come in and meet up with the straight section mid point, then adjust for rotation, then adjust for conveyor size and have it match up. Right now, the turn-pro scales and everything correctly, you just then have to move it off and move back "midpoint to midpoint". I'd like to avoid that final step by having it do all the scaling / streching around the original mid-point.

This may get confusing though when we change the size of the conveyor.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible?

What I'm trying to do is have a series of blocks where you can lay in a conveyor systems by using straight sections and curves to reach a final out point.

I've included the straight-pro block so you use it if you're able to help me.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Charles_Shade
in reply to: kkline116

Operator - Is this all you need?

Turn Pro - Portions of the arc were not included in the Rotation Action. If an Action is to be used in several Vis States it should Show in those Vis States. I suspect you added the additional arcs after you added the Roation Set and did not include these in the Selection Set for the Rotation Action.

Not sure if the third block is incorrect in any way.

Well, it's a start.

Message 3 of 9
kkline116
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Yes on the operator... what was wrong with it so I know for future?

The turn-pro is fixed in regards to the rotating aspect (thanks for that!) I'll go through the rest and make sure they're all included.

As for the second part of my request for help... what I'm trying to avoid is this:

Capture.PNG

See... when you bring in the straight section, it's 3". When you bring in the curved section, it's 3". But, when you take the straight section and adjust it to 6", and then you take the curved section and adjust it to 6", the above is what happens.

When I did the straight section, I was able to stretch each side (which is what we want because of how we lay out conveyor)... but since the arc actually scales as well as stretching... how do you do this so it maintains alignment with the straight section (i.e., around the midpoint of the insertion point) depending on the size selected?

Message 4 of 9
Charles_Shade

Are you using LT or Full?

Manipulating Radii in LT is problematic at best.

The arms were just in the wrong place in the Vis State for the operator.

Message 5 of 9
kkline116

I'm using LT right now, but full version is coming (so they tell me).

Is there no way to fix it in LT because I don't have the "constraits" tab?

But I have the full version at home... if you tell me how to fix it, I can fix it there.

Message 6 of 9
Charles_Shade

I have been led to believe that with Constraints you can can change the radius of an arc.

I don't know nor have ever done this since Constraints are not in LT.

The issue with using a Scale Action is that it is only LARGER it cannot get smaller; i.e. a multiplier less than one.

I've tried setting the Parameter to Midpoint and can make the ends longer or shorter as needed, that's straight forward.

Getting the Arcs to Scale to the proper size is the issue.

Message 7 of 9
kkline116

Yeah, what's what I was running up against.

So, other than having each size conveyor as it's own block, this isn't really feasible...

Well, if someone thinks of something, that'd be great... if not, I'll figure something else out (having each size wouldn't be impossible... it's not that many).

Message 8 of 9
Charles_Shade

The attached are a bunch of Radii done with LT or prior to constraints.

The one labeled this is the good one is closest to what you want I think.

There is also a note in there about making the Scale Independant and moving the base point.

Also, Chaining is used to make these work.

Maybe something will come together for you from these examples.

Message 9 of 9
kkline116

Yeah, that one marked "good one" is pretty close. I might be able to use that.

I'll take a look and see what I can make happen.

THANKS very much for the help!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services