Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic title Revision block

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
dabruce
1795 Views, 20 Replies

Dynamic title Revision block

I have created 4 different layouts for A0, A1, A2 and A3 that will print to scale at 1:100 as standard (or whatever the selected scale is) to go with this I am attempting to create one revision block that has different viewstates for each layout AND only has to be filled out once.

I have created the different Visibility states and linked in all the subfields to the main set but something is so not right

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
dabruce
in reply to: dabruce

I take it no one has any ideas on how I can fix this block ?
Message 3 of 21
Charles_Shade

You cannot use attributes in this way. Each has to have a unique name.
Could be Fields are your answer but others will have to take you there.
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 4 of 21
dabruce

I I have used the object field *value* to fill the attributes but I have tried to do this with fields instead of attributes filled with fields and it still does not work properly.

The annoying thing is on occasions it does work and updates all fields with the original attribute but the visibility states dont work no matter what I try.
Message 5 of 21
kruuger

if all attributes needs to be the same try:
1. just scale your dynamic block by 1, 10, 100 or what ever. you can use lookup table for visibility
2. create the File->Drawing properties->Custom properties and then use fields (refer to your custom attributes)
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous

I know I get up on this soap box over and over - But Sheet set manager is
specifically designed to handle Title blocks; titles, drawing numbers,
revisions, custom fields, et al.

Joe
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

I like your thinking but those values would be static and need to be
pre-determined, no?

Joe
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous

check out Heidi Hewett's blog at
http://heidihewett.blogs.com/, sheet wrote the bible on Sheet Set manager.
"Sheets happen"
Message 9 of 21
dabruce

Joe, I have already ready and understood heidi's blog and have a view to eventually introduce sheetsets but I am designing a standard that is going to be implimented and used by some very low level cad users and so has to be as simple as possible with as little change to their pre concieved view of cad ( 06 LT) as possible.
In a bid to get them to USE these standards I am trying to make things as user friendly as possible without overwhelming them with new and amasing "magic" as they see it.. hence why I need a block that can work on several layouts so they can just copy and paste and select the appropriate layout.. If I could make it so that they only had to fill it out once and it autopupulated accross layouts I would but I dont think this is possible.

But thank you for your help any way.
Message 10 of 21
dabruce

I think this would be the best solution but I do not know what the associated scales would be if the original block was designed for A0 to change it to A1, A2, A3...

any one know what those scales would be ? if you do I will more than likely try to figure out how to make a scale lookup table for the title block rather than just the title revision.
Message 11 of 21
Charles_Shade

I'll take offense at us lowly simple mortal LT users! 😉
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 12 of 21
PaulMunford

ISO Paper sizes use a ratio based on the Square Root of two, approximately 1:1.4142

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 13 of 21
kruuger

do you want something like this?
Message 14 of 21
dabruce

that is pretty much exactly the function I would like, I am attempting to modify it to include all fields I use and hide the squares etc but have never used lookups before... Ill let you know if I manage to get the final block..
Thank you for your help
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous

Could you not introduce Revision notes as custom properties to be set into
the title block as fields?
I thought of this way but instead simply just blockedit the title block and
add them into a table and my simple drafters can follow that.
But back to custom properties - how many revisions are you likely to have?
You could create a number ready set up and leave them blank.
mmm I think I felt it could be a little untidy with the Who/Date/Number/What
sections.

wrote in message news:6341485@discussion.autodesk.com...
Joe, I have already ready and understood heidi's blog and have a view to
eventually introduce sheetsets but I am designing a standard that is going
to be implimented and used by some very low level cad users and so has to be
as simple as possible with as little change to their pre concieved view of
cad ( 06 LT) as possible.
In a bid to get them to USE these standards I am trying to make things as
user friendly as possible without overwhelming them with new and amasing
"magic" as they see it.. hence why I need a block that can work on several
layouts so they can just copy and paste and select the appropriate layout..
If I could make it so that they only had to fill it out once and it
autopupulated accross layouts I would but I dont think this is possible.

But thank you for your help any way.
Message 16 of 21
dabruce

Nathan,
I thought about putting Fields in the title block where the revision block will sit and was going to do this as a fall back option. The reason I did not want to do that is because then my drafters would have to fill out every revision for every tab.. This way they only have to fill out the revision block once and can just copy and paste it onto each layout tabe and adjust it using the dynamic scale grip point..

Thanks to the guys here ( and a massive one to kruger) I have managed to make a block that I can insert ontop of my revision grid and will now be able to resize it for all the A series paper sizes from A0 to A3... I have also incorporated this into an issue stamp stating whether the drawing is Feasability, draft of Accepted using different visibility states...

If any one else uses Krugers block I have managed to Hide the geometric lines by putting them on Defpoints and freezing that layer in my template...

Both blocks are attached

Again massive thanks
Message 17 of 21
kruuger

i'm not sure if you understood Nathan correct. Please see how this custom prop works.(file->drawing prop->custom)

You fill custom prop and all blocks on all layouts updates automatically.See attached file
Message 18 of 21
dabruce

The reason I have not put them into custom drawing properties - custom is that I use those for building specific constant information such as building name, reference, address etc as I extract pline area information in regards to room usage and occupancy. I believe that this would just clog up the neat trim custom properties that I have put in place..

but yes that is a way that would work accross all of the layouts but I think that this would just clog up the neat trim custom properties that I have put in place..

.. for those people who only keep the current revision details GATTE would also be usefull for updating blocks accross layouts but I keep at least 6 revisions in my history section of the title block.

Its one of the things I really like about CAD there are so many ways to get the same result.

----------------------
p.s.

I would also like to point out that I have nothing against LT users (i have been unfortunate enough to use it too) its that my users are very simple in their understanding of cad... Basic level users that have done a 3 day cours 4 years ago and only use it once a week maybe not that they are using LT making them crap... 😛
Message 19 of 21
Charles_Shade

Tongue in cheek my friend, tongue in cheek.
I read lisp here and realize how little I know.
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 20 of 21
dabruce

i know what you mean.. Im seen as a cad GURU magician here but there is so much I dont know, I envy those people who can just read and write script or who can make a dynamic block work for them first time.... but practice practice practice as the saying goes..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services