Did you mean: 

Dynamic Railing - How to center an array'd picket on top rail

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
boomboomcf
2509 Views, 8 Replies

Dynamic Railing - How to center an array'd picket on top rail

Hi All,

I have created an elevation of a railing with stretch and array actions, however I have not been able to figure out how to center the array'd picket on the top rail.  I've added a move action to the main picket in order to manually center after the railing has been stretched between the two posts...however I'd love to have this automatically centered.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

(I originally thought I could have the main picket stretch at 0.5 (so it would be centered), then array in two directions, however there is no angle option on an array paramater)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Charles_Shade
in reply to: boomboomcf

You can do it.

I currently have what you described with the center move for a horizontal rail.

Check out the attached.

Specifically the block named Test

Message 3 of 9
boomboomcf
in reply to: Charles_Shade

You're brilliant Charles!!  I've changed and it is now a workable solution, however I have one other item that I'm struggling with.  I'd like to ideally just stretch the top rail across and have the picket move over 1/2 way and array automatically.  I've tried chaining in various ways, however i can't figure a way to chain it together and remain centered.  Any tips?

See what I have below.

Message 4 of 9
Charles_Shade

Couple of kinks still in this but closer(?) I think.

I should work to iron this out as well because I could make use of the same thing.

BTW - You can place and Array a  WIPEOUT on the Picket and block whatever is behind it in Draw Order.

Stretch a WIPEOUT with the rails as well...

Message 5 of 9
boomboomcf

That would be great!  FYI...they are drawn as wipeouts 🙂

I have columns set up the same way...everything behind my columns / railings gets wiped out.  Very nice when making revisions.  Given you are in the States, and I'm Canadian...and we seem to be in the same field, maybe we should share ideas /  blocks.  I have quite a few I've developed this past week.  I'm part of a high volume architectural firm of 45 people (approx), and trying to make our systems / standards slick and more effiecient.  Quite a bit of content I've generated in past week or two.

We're going from 2004 to 2013, so trying to take advantage of dynamic blocks as much as possible.

Message 6 of 9
boomboomcf

fyi...the comments about you being American and me Canadian...intent would be that we could share without worries of an immediate competitor getting ahold of each others blocks / idea's.

Message 7 of 9
boomboomcf

Also...I've attached my latest version.  Kinks are worked out...only item is i'd prefer using just the one stretch grip.  Would like the grip for the picket to show still in case you want to adjust.

Message 8 of 9
Charles_Shade

Yes but all your stuff is in that silly metric thingamajingy. Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 9
boomboomcf

haha...nope.  You'd think so being in Canada and all.  All our work is in imprerial as the industry has never been able to convert to metric.  Designs / working drawings all done in good ol' feet and inches.  Siteplans however are done in metric....but that's another story.

Any luck with the railing?  Honestly, I think I'm happy with how it works right now...but would be nice to be able to have it stretch automatically as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services