Did you mean: 

Dynamic Blocks question

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
matt_HH
729 Views, 7 Replies

Dynamic Blocks question

I have created a dynamic block with several visiblility states. The block works great for what I need it for. however, I am trying to add one more action to the block but am having issues.

This block is essentially a 24" retail cabinet with the visibility states showing the different drawer and shelf configurations. I want to be able to lengthen the cabinet in 24" increments and have the visibility show for each 24" section.....eg.  I want a 10' cabinet so I bring in the 24" starter block. Then stretch the cabinet to the 10' mark, then I can chose any drawer/shelv config for each 24" section (they are all differnt).

I can get the block to stretch in 24" sections....no problem.....i just want the visibility state to be duplicated as well for each section. Now as it stretches, there is only one Vis state and it only populates the first cabinet.

I could do this by copying the block over and over 5 times.....but I am hoping there is a way to make this dynamic.

Any pearls of wisdom??

cheers

Matt

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Charles_Shade
in reply to: matt_HH

Use Common Parameters and Actions for as many VIs States as you can.

If you show (BVSHOW) this Stretch Action in each of the Vis States you want then then the Action will work on each entity assigned to it in each state.

Therefore stretching the block in the Door Vis will lengthen all the Drawers in the Drawer Vis. (Though I'm not sure you would want 10' drawers. Shorter would require an Array Action tied to the Stretch Action along with a separate Stretch Action for the Drawer width.)

Message 3 of 8
matt_HH
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I am not stretching any individual drawers.

esentially I am looking to copy each block along the length of the counter

so If I stretch the original block to 8' there should be 4 separate instances if the visibility state. Each 24" section will get a different configuration of drawers (by selecting the Vis state you want) etc.

I get the result I want by copying the first block and adding on to the counter......but wanted a way to have this done just by the initial stretch action.

Message 4 of 8
Charles_Shade

No, that you cannot do. A Vis State will not Array as you are asking.

You will need to insert each instance of the block in the row and set each as you want for that section.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I think there is an alternative.

If you insert your block as a hole in a new block where you only use the aray parameter you can array your blocks.Then you explode this block and you are able to use the individual blocks.

So for example, if you explode the block in my example you can use every block individualy.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Thomas 

Message 6 of 8
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Anonymous

Good thought with a nested block.

Using an asterisk on an Insert Command Macro might be another way.

Place it on a Palette perhaps so you could have easy access to multiple setups?

Message 7 of 8
matt_HH
in reply to: Anonymous

Nesting the block works like a charm.

gives me exactly what I am after.

Thanks very much for your help

Message 8 of 8
Charles_Shade

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services