Dynamic Blocks

rambo111
Message 1 of 14 (498 Views)

Dynamic Block

498 Views, 13 Replies
02-28-2012 01:20 PM

Hi there,

This problem has been causing my grief for days now. I need to create a dynamic block for a "Glass Panel" in a balustrade. I need to be able to insert it, in one corner and stretch it in another corner, to suit the staircase angle.

Ive created the block, but it isnt working correctly. Ive attached a drawing, with the left hand drawing a sketch of how it needs to be. The right  hand drawing is my dynamic block attempt. As can be seen, when the block is stretched between the 2 points, it doesnt follow the angle of the staircase correctly (Very slight run off)

Any ideas what im doing wrong ?

Thank you

nigel

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 2 of 14 (464 Views)

Re: Dynamic Block

02-29-2012 09:55 AM in reply to: rambo111

Without looking at it, could you make a line on the defpoints layer that you'd align with the stringer (assuming the rails are parallel to it), and then use constraints to make the "glass panel" top and bottom edge parallel to that?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 3 of 14 (458 Views)

02-29-2012 10:26 AM in reply to: rambo111

Your block is fine. Screenshot is really, really zoomed in. I've offset your two lines (40 from the vertical, 50 from the sloped) and then Filleted.

You missed. Easy to do.

ScreenShot003.jpg

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Contributor
jhough12
Message 4 of 14 (435 Views)

03-05-2012 06:20 AM in reply to: rambo111

hello

I work with Nigel.

1st Bob, in our version of AutoCAd we do not have constraints (any way around this?)

2nd Charles, we are not sure what yur screen print is showing, could you possible send a CAD file explaining?

Thanks again

Jon

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 5 of 14 (432 Views)

03-05-2012 06:29 AM in reply to: jhough12

I believe that your dimension is showing 49 and not 50 because your Parameter is not where it needs to be.

Offset both of your "glass" lines 50 units at the bottom left and Fillet same.

Zoom in as much as possible. REGEN if you need and see.

You have the plan, no need for me to send one.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Contributor
jhough12
Message 6 of 14 (428 Views)

03-05-2012 06:45 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

thanks Charles, I zoomed and zoomed and finally found the point is slightly out, thanks.

Although this still doesnt solve the problem, the panel still runs out a few mm?

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 7 of 14 (424 Views)

03-05-2012 08:59 AM in reply to: jhough12

Did you check both ends?

I just looked at the bottom.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
Kudos + gladly accepted if you are feeling magnanimous

Contributor
jhough12
Message 8 of 14 (414 Views)

03-06-2012 01:02 AM in reply to: rambo111

Yes Have checked both ends, any ideas?

Valued Contributor
llorden4
Message 9 of 14 (400 Views)

03-06-2012 10:56 AM in reply to: jhough12

The problem here is the Trig, you designed your block at a 32 degree stair angle but your example is a 27.36151655 degree stair angle.  The theory behind your block is sound, but since you don't have constraints your offsets can't adjust for the changing angle.  I don't see this being able to work without that capability, at least not with a variable angle option.

Valued Contributor
arquimodem
Message 10 of 14 (273 Views)

09-13-2012 07:57 AM in reply to: rambo111

I installed my AutoCad ( Revit Architecture Suite) 2008 on my new laptop running on Windows 7-ultimate. I work a lot with Dynamic blocks and the first thing I did was test the system for this compatibility. There was no problem.
It has now been installed for about 1 month but not used very actively.

I went back to it to check on a Dynamic block, and was immediately evicted and the FE was my reward.
Since then I have repaired Autocad twice, and checked that SP1 was installed, as well as the Image Hotfix I downloaded on advice from the forum in 2011.

After the two crashes I experienced today, I sent an automated reply in which I included the two error messages which appeared on my monitor.
I had sent a previous message a few days ago, but have received no comment.

Could it be that my 2008 problems are no longer of interest. If so, perhaps someone could confirm that?

At this time I am unable to continue to work as DB form a large part of my arsenal. The two messages read as follows:

1º.     Error loading Heidi module c:\program files\Autocad 2008\DRV\ mentalray9.hdi followed by
2º.     Fatal Error - unhandled delayload "acgsimage.dll - module not found. Exception at fdb3cacdh.

Thank you for your help. I sure need it.
Hans

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.