Did you mean: 

Dynamic block with variable height and width with lookup list

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
fishautodesk124
2564 Views, 18 Replies

Dynamic block with variable height and width with lookup list

Hello,

I am new in learning how to create a dynamic title block with variable height and width so my terminology of terms might not be clear but I will explain what I want as best I can.

I am trying to create a dynamic title block with variable height and width with some lookup and stretch actions and parameters and some text attributes and tags where you can add the clients name, address, and sheet no. etc. to show up and people can just fill in the blanks.

As you can see from my previous post in the dynamic block forum I created a title block with the linear parameter and stretch action but I could not get it to work because I wanted to shrink the size from the existing to something smaller maybe there is a command for this but I could not find it.

Another problem was I never could do a test block the sketch would always disappear even if I try to zoom in and if I try using the grips to move nothing happens. In model space the title block does not make any changes. The message always gave me do you want to setup coordinate for this and when I click yes or no there is no differences.

I now tried a different method using a linear with value set and a list and lookup parameter and action. (see attachment) This time when creating the block instead of wblock I used a block to see if that made a difference. I am having the same problem as before as before.

I didn’t know how difficult this title block is to create and after trying a search the web I would like some help for you experts on some tricks and what I am doing wrong so I can learn do the dynamic title block correctly.

If anything is not clear and need additional info please let me know. I am usnig auto cad civil 3d 2012 sp 4 and autocad 2012

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 10 Professional Pro
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 3.41 GHZ
16 GB
64-bit Operating System x64-based processor
AutoCAD Civil 3d 2016 sp 4
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
ojuris
in reply to: fishautodesk124

hi

In this block you don't add any stretch actions, only parameters

try this

Juris

Message 3 of 19
Libbya

Your issues are very basic CAD/dynamic block issues.  I would recommend watching a few free tutorials.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=autocad+dynamic+blocks&...

Message 4 of 19
fishautodesk124
in reply to: Libbya

@Libbya wrote:

Your issues are very basic CAD/dynamic block issues.  I would recommend watching a few free tutorials.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=autocad+dynamic+blocks&...

Hello,

I have been watch many youtube videos but perhaps the version I am using is  not letting me do this.

16 GB
Message 5 of 19
Libbya

None of the tutorials you have watched have shown you how to add actions to parameters?  

Message 6 of 19
fishautodesk124

@Libbya wrote:

None of the tutorials you have watched have shown you how to add actions to parameters?  

As you can see from a previous post with the dynamic block I attached 9_30_14picturedynamictitleblockattributes.dwg which stevn-g help me with does show parameters with actions.

Thanks

16 GB
Message 7 of 19
fishautodesk124
in reply to: ojuris

@ojuris wrote:

hi

In this block you don't add any stretch actions, only parameters

try this

Juris

Hi,

You are correct I did forget the stretch actions on this block I guess I am still learning. I see that when I view the file you provided me that you are using the later version which may have caused some of the problems create the dynamic blocks in the pass.

On 10-31-14 I posted a title block called 9_30_14picturedynamictitleblockattirbutes.dwg which had a stretch actions but this had problems also,

Can you fix this one to work like the one you just fixed for me.

Thanks

16 GB
Message 8 of 19
ojuris

may be you can repost your file and tell what ou want?

Message 9 of 19
fishautodesk124
in reply to: ojuris

@ojuris wrote:

may be you can repost your file and tell what ou want?

Hello,

Attached for your help is the new title block which I would like the same way done like you helped me on the previous one. Since I am new to this dynamic title block I see that you did not add a base point to it why is that? I included one but if it is not needed then take it out.

My next step is tryiing to add some text attributes to this do you see any pproblems that I am going to have?

Thanks again for your help

16 GB
Message 10 of 19
Libbya

Your title block is a block within a block.  You cannot dynamically stretch a non-dynamic block and so, having the title block as a block within the dynamic block will not work.

The size of the linework within the block is dramatically different than what you want.  If you want the title block to fit an 8.5"x11" piece of paper, then it should be drawn so that the outer rectangle is 8.5x11.  As drawn, the block is 4427.56 x 6539.56.  

You did not have any actions associated with Distance1 and so, without any actions associated, changing the parameter value via lookup did nothing.

It makes the most sense to me to place the two stretch parameter base points at the origin and place the linework so the bottom left point is also at the origin.

In order to get it to work, I exploded the block within a block so that it was the appropriate linework that could be altered using dynamic actions.  I then scaled/stretched/moved the linework so that within the block the outer rectangle was 11 x 8.5.

I then added the appropriate stretch action to Distance1.  Because your OLE image will not move with a stretch action, I added a move to each of the distance parameters.  I set the number of grips for each of the distance parameters to 1 instead of 2.

There is only a need for a basepoint parameter if you want to change the origin point within the block to a point other than x=0,y=0. If everything stretches/moves from the origin then there is no need for a basepoint parameter.  

I would strongly recommend that you go back to your posted block and do those changes yourself as part of the learning process.  

Message 11 of 19
ojuris

hi

Try this

In dynamic block you can stretch simple objects like line, polyline, not inserted block, as you try to do

Message 12 of 19
fishautodesk124

Hello,

Thanks for the well explanation of the problems I have been having with learning how to do a dynamic block. You mention that I can't do a dynamic block within a dynamic block which I understand but I did you know that I did this. How did you know that I did this?  Did I accidentally do the block or wblock command twice?

There is one more questions I have:

1. I say on the web that you can use the shrink action to make thing smaller like say for example I want my 8.5" x 11" to 8" x 10". How would this be done?

16 GB
Message 13 of 19
Libbya

I could tell you had a block within a block because when I opened your block in block editor the titleblock was a block and not individual lines and text objects.

With regard to your question, there is no 'shrink' action.  There are 'stretch' actions and 'scale' actions.  Did you open the file I posted in my last post?  It works with either the lookup which will adjust the geometry to the listed sizes AND has two additional stretch grips, one for vertical and one for horizontal.  If you want it 8.5x10, then select the grip in the bottom right corner and type in 10.  In my last post I explained how I did what I did to your block to make it work that way.  

Message 14 of 19
fishautodesk124

@Libbya wrote:

I could tell you had a block within a block because when I opened your block in block editor the titleblock was a block and not individual lines and text objects.

With regard to your question, there is no 'shrink' action.  There are 'stretch' actions and 'scale' actions.  Did you open the file I posted in my last post?  It works with either the lookup which will adjust the geometry to the listed sizes AND has two additional stretch grips, one for vertical and one for horizontal.  If you want it 8.5x10, then select the grip in the bottom right corner and type in 10.  In my last post I explained how I did what I did to your block to make it work that way.  

Hi,

I did try to open it but it gave me a message that a newer version was used and I would need true view to view it. I tried d/l the viewer and it did not open.

Another thing is before I start my text attributes do I need to do anything with my existing dynamic title block with the text I placed xxxx?

Thanks 

16 GB
Message 15 of 19
Libbya

Here is the file backsaved to 2010.

You will need to delete any text objects that are being replaced with attributes.

Message 16 of 19
ojuris

And don't forget about ATTSYNC command after adding attributes in block 🙂

Message 17 of 19
fishautodesk124

@Libbya wrote:

Here is the file backsaved to 2010.

You will need to delete any text objects that are being replaced with attributes.

Hi,

Thanks for the backsaved 2010 file which I am using as a guide in learning this and now I am able to open it.

I am currently using autocad civil 3d 2012 sp 4 and when I place your file in the block edit and left click on the

lookup and click on show all actions I don't see anything why is this.?

The only thing I see is the lookup parameter.

16 GB
Message 18 of 19
Libbya

I do not know why the actions are not showing up for you.  Set BACTIONBARMODE to 0 for the lightning bolt style display and they will show up.

Message 19 of 19
fishautodesk124

@Libbya wrote:

I do not know why the actions are not showing up for you.  Set BACTIONBARMODE to 0 for the lightning bolt style display and they will show up.

Hi,

That command made it work.

16 GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services