Did you mean: 

Dynamic block with attributes , Fields and Schedule not updating

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
mviscetto
1051 Views, 14 Replies

Dynamic block with attributes , Fields and Schedule not updating

Hello,

I am having a difficult time trying to get what I need to work properly.

I need the User Defined value input to be read by the fields in my attribute.

What I am getting is the Default Value of the attribute.

I am also extracting the attribute information using the data extraction and need the TAG name to be connected to the schedule with the correct information.

Attached is an example

Is this even possible?

If so, how?

If not, how would I a=obtain a similar result?

Thank you

Michael

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: mviscetto

For the field to read the correct value of the attribute you must place the field outside the block.

Otherwise it will continue to read the default value.

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 3 of 15
steven-g

An attribute can't refer to another attribute within the same block, you can get it to refer to parameters, So I would try something like the attached, but you will need to position the attributes and include them in your actions. In order to get it looking how you want. Once you extract the data you may need to combine fields in your spreadsheet.

Message 4 of 15
Charles_Shade

I have found that for an Attribute to read a Value that is given after the Block is Inserted the Default Value of the Attribute needs to be left blank when the Attribute is created.

When the Attribute is filled after the Block is inserted the Field will populate.

Message 5 of 15
steven-g
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Isn't that a bit like which came first the chicken or the egg. It does mean that you can't use the blocks by inserting them without going back and editing the attributes afterwards, but you can then copy the edited block for multiple instances, and edit the values of attributes in the properties manager.

Message 6 of 15
Charles_Shade
in reply to: steven-g

I have not tested using COPY to create addiitonal instances of a DynBlk that has a Field that needs to be populated from an Attribute but have not been successful populating a Field that has been given any Value, other than a Field, that calls from another Attribute.

If the Value is left blank except for the Field it works as intended.

If there is a Value provided then it will not update.

This is very fickle and needs to be done when the Attribute using the Field to call another Attribute is created.

Message 7 of 15
mviscetto

"An attribute can't refer to another attribute within the same block"

Unfortunately the above statement is true.

Yes, I can continue to try and develop a work around but I keep running into block walls.

I am strapped by the limitations of plain vanilla AutoCAD 2013 and will have to accept that.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

P.S.  The chicken had to come first.

But there are several opinions out on that. 🙂

Have a great day.

Message 8 of 15
Charles_Shade

But a Field can refer to an Attribute in the same Block.

And I know I am not following what you want your Block to do but I will assume that the Table at the bottom is where you are calling from.

If so the Table is not in the same Block.

The Block that wants the info is nested inside this greater block when inserted.

Correct?

Message 9 of 15
steven-g

But surely you can not get a field to to refer to another attribute within the same block, that does so on insertion of the block. If you have 2 attributes 'A' & 'B', and attribute 'A' requires user input when the block is inserted, attribute 'B' cannot have a field that refers to 'A' without as you said earlier editing the block after it has been inserted.

Message 10 of 15
Charles_Shade

I use a callout block (Section# and Page) that are populated when I open the Block after Insertion and give it the appropriate information.

This DynBlk has a Vis State for a second bubble that is blank except for the Fields that are calling from the Attribs in the first bubble.

So, yes; when I insert this block the first bubble is blank, just a circle with a line across the diameter and the second bubble, if I change the Vis State to show it has two lines in it; both are four short dashes with the Field highlite around them.

When I add the info to the first bubble and hit REGEN the second bubble will then populate.

Leaving the Value blank is done during the creation of the second bubble's Attributes: Except for giving it a Field that refers to the first bubble's Attributes that too are blank when created. (That might be the other part of the puzzle, not sure I have said that in this thread.)

Message 11 of 15
steven-g

It takes us oldies a while to catch on sometimes. I couldn't get anything to work with fields looking inside it's own block at attributes, and then I reread your answers - slowly - word for word, BINGO vis state, I haven't looked at all the variations yet but it worked when the attribute with the fields is turned off with a vis state.

Message 12 of 15
steven-g

Michael,

If you are still watching try this, it may need touching up. Insert the block, after you have filled in the options change the vis state to base one or two and then do a regen.

Message 13 of 15
mviscetto

Yes,

I'm still listening.

There is a lot of good information here.

I was not able to download your attachment though.

Will you reattach it please?

Thank you

Michael

Message 14 of 15
steven-g

Michael,

Did you get an error message when you tried to download the file, I just checked it and it downloads ok

Message 15 of 15
mviscetto

I just downloaded it.

Holy Crap! It Works!

I don't fully understand why that works but that is the result I wanted.

I am completly impressed!

Thank y'all very much

I will bang it around a bit and see if I keep it from breaking. 😉

Thanks again

Michael

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services