Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block with Attribute

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Jim_Earle
665 Views, 5 Replies

Dynamic Block with Attribute

I am creating an upper cabinet which has a fixed height but you can select different widths. What our firm does is also list the size of the cabinet. What I would like to do is make this font some sort of preset attribute and control it with the visibility states. I also want to control the font height by the scale of the drawing. my question is I if its possible and how? I've attached what I have thus far. The attribute is in teh top right corner and is justified as top right. The only way I can get this to work is if I manually adjust the font after its inserted into the drawing. Which solves the problem but isnt very feesiable. Id like to get this so it adjusts once inserted. Any help or ideas would be greatly apperciated. thanks in advance for your help. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Jim_Earle

Annotative Text and Scaling perhaps?

Have you tried or looked into that?

Message 3 of 6
Jim_Earle
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I tried the annotative text but we do everything in model space and not paper space. That being said I could not get the annotative thing to work. I never thought about the sccale route though. Ive never used that in a dynamic block. I'll try and lookinto what that entailes. Tahnks for the suggestion.

Message 4 of 6
Jim_Earle

Ok I figured out the scale thing however unless there is an eaiser way thats not going to work either. The way I did it was set up a X, Y parameter and attached the scale action to it. I thin put in another lookup table and attached it to those. From there I learned that I need to know the dimensions in bothe directions to put in the table, even then the table rounds so its still slightly off from being the correct height. Then ontop of having to do that for each drawing scale I would need to do that for each size as the width of the font would change based on the numaric charcters used. I'm thinking what I want to acomplish is not possible to do....

Message 5 of 6
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Jim_Earle

Yes you are limited to physically scaling the object if you want to make a portion of it larger.

Issue is the entire set of entities is scaled as well. Or live with the text at a particular size.

Though being a DynBlk you could Vis State yourself into several different Texystyles depending on some other parameter that manipulates the block but this would have nothing to do with the Scale that it is plotted.

Annotation is what you seek and will do what you ask: You just need to use Layouts to accomplish this.

The decision to not use Layouts is limiting the tools that are available to you in the CAD environment.

...is make this font some sort of preset attribute and control it with the visibility states.

What did you mean by this?

Message 6 of 6
Jim_Earle

Thanks Charles. I agree that I think what I want to do is not going to be possible since I'm not using the layout and dont plan to use them either. What I mean my the preset statement is that I made the attribute a default wording if you will so that when inserting the block it does not promt you to enter the text. My hopes was to make this for the 3-4 sizes in that particular block so then the user is not prompted and cant enter the wrong cabinet size on the drawing.

I think in the end what I will have to do is pick a common scale size and set the font to the correcet height based upon that scale factor and leave it at that. Everything else in the block is real simple so theres no need to complicate it any more if I dont have to. Thanks for all the tips.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services