Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block using excel table

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
cexarhos
4263 Views, 7 Replies

Dynamic Block using excel table

Hello,

I am trying to create a dynamic block that uses an excel table to drive the dimensions.

Is this possible and if so, any help in the write direction would be great!  Smiley Happy

i have two possible routes maybe, one directly link excel to the block or

link the exce file to a table and then could the block be linked to an autocad table?

thanks,

chris

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dmfrazier
in reply to: cexarhos

I don't think DB properties can be "driven" by external data in an AutoCAD Table or in an Excel file without some kind of custom programming.  I suggest first searching and then posting your question here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Visual-LISP-AutoLISP-and-General/bd-p/130.

Message 3 of 8
davecollingwood

It depends how you want to control the block - one option is to add a block table to the dynamic block, set up your parameters in the table and copy & paste the data from Excel. You'll then see a dropdown to choose the various parameters.

Perhaps it's not how you want to do things, it's not as easy as just linking the data but I've found it to be an ok way of working if things get a little complicated in the block. To be honest there are much easier ways if the relationships between dimensions are straightforward. I've attached a *very* basic example, apologies if it's stuff you already know - I thought it might help shed some light on things for you! Check out the block to see what's going on with the parameters - look at distance multipliers and user parameters to make blocks more user-friendly.

Some of my greatest heroes wore eye-patches, there was Kirk Douglas... me on a Friday night... did I mention Kirk Douglas?

www.davecollingwood.com
Message 4 of 8
cexarhos
in reply to: davecollingwood

thank you, i will take a look at the attachement. unfortunately i need it to be a live link, not copy and paste  😞

heres the reason behind my development, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas, i appreciate all the ideas and help.

i work with a team of salespeople. i want to automate drawing by having the sales people create a rough sketch. they do not use autocad.

But, if i can get them to enter values in to an excel table, the drawing would be produced by their parameters.

Example: they are are building a shelf with 3 shelf levels. i want the salesperson to enter the shelf heights in excel, and then a cad drawing will be updated.

Again, they do not use CAD, and i gave a simple example, the shelf units are more complicated(different size and types of shelfs).

thanks everyone!!

chris

Message 5 of 8
cexarhos

great example, thanks!
Message 6 of 8
davecollingwood

Hmm, it is a little more complicated then!

If there's a possibility of getting your sales team to use AutoCAD, you could very easily make a dynamic block with draggable sections (freely draggable or constrained to certain increments - many options!), drop-down selection for number of shelves etc... The values are displayed as the elements are moved, so they'd just need to know which grip moves which item!

Again, probably not the solution you're after. It could be you need to start getting medieval and use tables / fields and some custom programming to update variables via a data link. Good luck!

Some of my greatest heroes wore eye-patches, there was Kirk Douglas... me on a Friday night... did I mention Kirk Douglas?

www.davecollingwood.com
Message 7 of 8
cexarhos

yes, it does get complicated, thanks for quick response and ideas.

i wish i had time to learn to program, the best solution would be to create a custom GUI for them to use and just enter values into.  🙂

thanks!!!

chris

Message 8 of 8
Profmanprof

I Use This Method.

it take Long but Effective 

Everyone  should see this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lmsj1cEc-c

I search better way...

Thanks Every one ....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services