Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block Show Off TOO

54 REPLIES 54
Message 1 of 55
Charles_Shade
4457 Views, 54 Replies

Dynamic Block Show Off TOO

A second place to show off. The first is getting long and slow to load and has been popular so I thought I would start another.
2007 format if you can. We are getting more Constrained DynBlk's posted that only work for a few SO please label what version created/saved in.
A contribution is attached. 2007 / 2007
Regards, Charles Shade
54 REPLIES 54
Message 41 of 55
ChuckEdwards
in reply to: steven-g

Having to add areas of glazing for a Fire Engineer to do a take off, and being bored stiff (most of the way through an MBA yet I'm considered a glorified CAD operator!), decided to make a block to report the area of a  rectangle.

Fairly simple, the principle could be repeated with other block types e.g. a flexible shape with a boundary defined by a polyline with 6 points and a grip at each corner to move it flexibly.

I did one up recently for a colleague who at times had been spending days doing nothing but layouts of storage units for a self-store company, putting polylines in for the area, then listing it, then manually taking off the area in mm2, converting that to m2 and ft2. All of that could be accomplished within a single block object.

His thanks was to delete it from the office system....

Oh well, that's morons for you.

Message 42 of 55
ChuckEdwards
in reply to: ChuckEdwards

Updated with now 6 points and 8 points as well as a rectangle, the text now scales as well, default size is 3.5mm for a range of selectable scales.

Also, a little tag block that allows a person to add an area note to a drawing, with an attribute for the name, you enter the area in the Properties palette and this is then formatted to m2 and converted to ft2.

Message 43 of 55

Here are two dynamic blocks I've made for our hvac company. They end up with the same results but one is more straight forward and the other is a little more complex.

Maybe someone can use these to start their own d.b.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 44 of 55
lesmaz2008
in reply to: ChuckUK1971

Hi. Do you mind explaining how you have used parameters on your block. thanks. 🙂
Message 45 of 55
ChuckEdwards2
in reply to: lesmaz2008

lesmaz,

which block and which parameters are you referring to?

I've posted several on this thread.

Charles.

Message 46 of 55
Libbya
in reply to: ChuckEdwards2

Here's another section line tool.  It actually took a surprising amount of time to get everything working the way I wanted it.  Most notably, being able to scale the block for 1/4"=1' or 1/8"=1' while keeping the attributes located correctly and all of the linework remaining positioned the same - making the whole block annotative does not work...  Also getting the polar stretches and linear/point stretches working together properly was a challenge.  I like the linked arrow flip action (no more sheets with arrows facing opposite directions...  🙂 ) but wish you could chain flip actions rather than needing to use a lookup...

Message 47 of 55
akaterr55
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Here's my Isometric Box Truss Frame set of blocks.  There's some more of them, but these 9 are enough to bring here to show and tell.

Thanks to everyone on the forums (especially you, Libbya! : ) ) for helping get me kickstarted on understanding alot of this stuff.

Before this project all of them had been pretty basic, and at times this thing seemed like too big a bite to chew.  These I guess are all pretty basic too, there's just a lot that's gone into them.

These are almost all wipeout blocks since there's so much overlapping of objects, and the frames themselves get superimposed over other things that i get to draw.

Included in this post is "FriDO.lsp" draworder utility for the frame assemblies.  It's easy to follow, and if you have a need, easy to mod.  I put a few cupcakes in there too.

Take a look, and please, let me know what you think!

Thanks,

-Mark

Message 48 of 55
AndersonRD
in reply to: Charles_Shade

It took me quite a while to figure this out, and most of it was through surfing the internet fruitlessly.  I would like to thank AcadAdamLT for this post (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks/mirrored-rotation-dynamic-block/m-p/3501600#M13999).  It showed me esentially what I needed.

Here is my quick North arrow. Rotate it to to desired direction in 5° increments (too lazy to type 720 times) with a counter rotating "N".

This was done in AcadLT 2017, saved in 2010 Format.

Message 49 of 55
Libbya
in reply to: AndersonRD

Learning how to use a block properties table is useful, but you can do the same without the block properties table.  Just use a chained point/move to move the N and rotate the point/move instead of the N.  See attached.  Add an increment if you prefer it that way or leave it limitless as is.  

Message 50 of 55
AndersonRD
in reply to: Libbya

That makes sense, thank you.  I am only now learning dynamic blocks, so I haven't actually used or tried everything yet.

Would there be a benefit to using your method vs what I have?  Other than typing A LOT less!  It does seem simpler, and simple is often the better way to go.  Can dynamic blocks go awary similar to coding?  A small error and it doesn't show up until who knows when, or too much data causing an overload on your computer.

Interesting

Message 51 of 55
Libbya

The benefits are the time involved in creation and the fact that the version using the point move has limitless adjustability whereas the block properties is always limited (in your case to 5 degree increments).  Simpler is definitely more stable although I doubt your arrow block will give any trouble as is. I haven't used block properties tables very much as I tend to use lookups and double lookups instead.

Message 52 of 55
AndersonRD

Okay, I tried to redo what you did and I seem to be failing miserably. If I place the "Point" on the center of the letter, it seems to find it's own radius to revlove around and not stay horizontal (it rolls with the rotate). If I place the point on the center of the circle, it rotates in the correct place, just doesn't stay horizontal.

This is a complete n00b question, but would you be able to tellme where I am messing up? This is what I'm doing: (Drew circle, added mark, placed "N" outside circle at 0°, blocked whole thing)
1) Added point parameter at center of text
2) Added rotate parameter at center of circle, specified 0° angle by picking
3) Added move action, selected point parameter, selected text and node of point parameter
4) Modified Properties on Point parameter to chained yes and grips 0
5) Added rotate action, selected rotate parameter, selected everything
Message 53 of 55
Libbya

If you post the file, it makes it a lot easier to see the issue.  Regardless from your description I assume the issue is with the very last part of the last step you listed.  You cannot 'select everything' for the rotate action.  Selecting everything will result in the text being moved in a circle by the point/move AND also being rotated by the rotate action, basically rotating it twice.  Remove the text from the rotate action and rotate only the point/move.

Message 54 of 55
AndersonRD

That would be it. I was under the impression that if I didn't select both the text AND the point/move parameter, that it would not work. I am going to setup another tester to make sure I have it down. Thank you again.
Message 55 of 55
Libbya

When a parameter is chained, then when it is moved/changed, all actions that are associated with it are performed based on the movement/change to the parameter.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services