Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block keeping properties from inserted blocks

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ryled
1100 Views, 3 Replies

Dynamic Block keeping properties from inserted blocks

I am using AutoCAD 2012, but have the same problem in 2014.

I am currently trying to create dynamic blocks for my job, they are steel beams from plan and side view that I wish to have the stretch command applied to the individual block along with the visibility feature.  First I inserted my block shapes into my drawing, about 200+ of them.  I then "Block Edit" on the <current drawing> option, and here I create my visibility parameter, create the visibility state for each block to be assigned to, and assign them accordingly.  When I test the block my visibility states work fine. 

After I went into the block editor and attempted to add a stretch parameter to each individual block in the drawing.  I did this using the action macro and it seems to work fine for each individual block.  I added a guide 'construction line' to lead to the parameter point.  Then when tested they have a guide line, and the  stretch parameter point that works fine.  However when i go back into block editor for the <current drawing> only the construction line remains and I can no longer stretch each individual block. 

Maybe it is the order in which I'm assigning parameters that is causing this not to work, but it seems logical to me that if a block has a stretch point as part of its properties that when that block is chosen in a visibility state its stretch point comes with, but that doesn't seem to be the case.   

Attached is a sample of the issue I'm having.  If you block edit the <current drawing> and test the block you will see the working visibility states for Block A, B, and C as well as the "construction" line at the top of the block, but no stretch command.  But then if you go into the block editor for Block A, Block B, and Block C you will see the stretch parameter present. 

If anyone could give me a suggestion to the problem or solution, of what I am doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Libbya
in reply to: ryled

If you have dynamic action in a block within another block, those actions are inaccessible. 

To accomplish what you want to do, do not place individual blocks inside a main block, instead, add the actual linework of the blocks into the main block.  Separate the linework using the visiblity states and add the stretch parameter to whatever linework you want stretched.

Also, if you want to stretch in a straight line, then use a linear parameter, not a point.

Message 3 of 4
ryled
in reply to: Libbya

Okay, thank you.  I have one more question then.  Since I have already created my visibility states and assigned the blocks to their visibility states is there any way for me to explode the blocks and have the linework maintain their visibility state and layer?

Message 4 of 4
Libbya
in reply to: ryled

Yes, just go into the block editor and explode each in turn after making that visibility state current.  You may want just one stretch action for all three visibility states.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services