Duplicating Attributes in Dynamic Block

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
kevin.pilgrim
3166 Views, 4 Replies

Duplicating Attributes in Dynamic Block

Hi All,

I am trying to create a dynamic block for use as an equipment symbol in P&ID's. The block needs to have some basic info associated with it (as attributes so it can be reported on).

The symbol has two parts - the actual graphic representation of the equipment and a label associated with it, which are placed in different locations on the page. There are two attributes: Item number and item name, which will appear in both parts, but I don't want to have to enter them twice.

I know there is a way of linking attributes so entering one will popluate another using fields in the attribute definition menu. I've tried following various tips on different forums but just can't get it to work. I figure there must be something slightly wrong with my method so I'm going to outline how I'm trying to link two attributes and hopefully someone will be able to "debug" my method!

1. Ok, so in a clean, empty drawing I define my first attribute (ATTDEF)

2. Under "attribute I fill in "Tag: ITEM_TAG, "prompt": ENTER ITEM TAG and leave "Default" empty. All options under "Mode" are left unchecked and "annotative" is left unchecked. 

3. I hit OK and place the attribute.

4. repeat ATTDEF

5.Under "attribute I fill in "Tag: COPY_ITEM_TAG, "prompt": ENTER NOTHING and under "Default" I click "Insert Field"

6. In "Field" menu I set "Field Category" to Objects, From "Field Names" I pick Object, Then I click the "select Obect" button and pick my "ITEM_TAG" attribute.

7. With ITEM_TAG as my selected object, back in the "Field" menu under "Property" I pick Value and I leave the "Format" as none.

8. OK to exit "Field" menu.

9. Back in "Attribute Definition" menu all options under "Mode" are left unchecked and "annotative" is left unchecked.

10. Hit OK and place second attribute.

11. Make Block: using the BLOCK command I define a block called EQUIPMENT, "Basepoint" 0,0,0. Select my two attributes with "convert to block" button highlighted. Leave "Annotative" unchecked and hit OK.

12. "Edit Attribues" menu box appears. I fill in the ITEM_TAG attribute and hit OK. First atrribute is filled in but copy is not.

13. use REGEN command, still no change in copy attribute.

14. Erase and reinsert block, still nothing in copy attribute.

15. REGEN once more for good measure still nothing!

So where am I going wrong?!?!?

Thanking you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

This reads like you have not done anything wrong.

Typically in order to make an Attrib read another Attrib as you want some Dynamic Action has to happen to the Block. A Flip, Stretch, Move, something, otherwise the Attrib will not update to the Field Value.

This is a limitation of Dymamic Blocks.

Message 3 of 5

I WAS ALO FACED SIMILAR PROBLEM IN THE PAST , I FOUND SOME SOLUTION IT IS NOT EXACTLY ANSWER TO QUESTION BUT IT MIGHT BE HELPFUL......CREATE ONE USER DEFINED PARAMETER LINK ATTRIBUTE FILEDS WITH THAT USER DEFINED PARAMETER , IN THE MODEL SPACE AFTER INSERTION OF BLOCK , WE CAN ENTER DATA INTO USER DEFINDED PARAMETER THROUGH PROPERTY PALETTE.....AFTER ENTERING VALUE GIVE REGEN FOR UPDATING ATTRIBUTES....SEE THE ATTACHED FILE...

Message 4 of 5

I'm not sure how did you create custom user parameter A1_A2? Can you explain a lttle more?

Thanks,

Chris

Message 5 of 5
Libbya
in reply to: kjdrafting

Here's how to create user parameters and change their type.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services