Did you mean: 

Doors

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
millerew17
660 Views, 7 Replies

Doors

I need some help with my door. I can't seem to get the arc to work correctly. My goal is to have my door working like the attached ACAD sample. I also need help with the multiple swing angles. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Libbya
in reply to: millerew17

I don't understand what you are asking for.  The first attached drawing doesn't have a block in it, just linework.  If you want to make it behave like the other attached file, then make the linework into a block and add the same parameters/actions.  If you mean that you are having trouble getting the arc to line up with both your door and your door frame, then one way is first making sure the door frame parts are horizonatally aligned and that they are the same distance apart as the door is wide.  Then create a circle with radius the width of the door and place its center at the origin.  Then trim the circle to the door and to the frame.   

Message 3 of 8
millerew17
in reply to: Libbya

Can you open this one? I made it into a block before but for some reason it didn't convert? Can you open it directly in Block Editor? 

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
Libbya

That opens fine with the block within it.  There are several ways to get it working correctly.  In your block you have the two stretch actions working on the endpoints of the arc AND you have a scale action working on it.  You can't do all three.  You can either stretch the two endpoints OR scale the arc.  Probably easiest in your case is to delete the scale.  If you want to keep the scale, you need to remove the arc from the selection set of each of the stretch actions.  Also, if the scale action's base type is set to dependent, then it will scale from the basepoint of the distance parameter rather than the center point of the arc and result in it moving away from the door when the door is enlarged.  You can cure that a couple different ways.  Easiest is to change the scale's base type to independent and move the base point to the center of the arc.  Alternatively, you can add a chained distance parameter whose base point is at the center of the arc with a length the radius of the arc and add the scale action to it rather than to distance1.  Include that second parameter in the stretch selection set for distance1.

The attached file has all three options. 

Message 5 of 8
millerew17

Thanks so much! 

Which of the three options would be your preference be, if I want to add the different door swing angles? Also do you have any advice for me to do those swing angles? 

Message 6 of 8
Libbya

I was looking closely at your block and you have some small layout errors.  The right side of the frame is not horizontally inline with the left and so, the distance1parameter is slightly skewed.  Also, the rectangle that forms your door is not square at the swing side.  

As far as which of the three options to use, I would not use the two stretches on the arc as the arc geometry does not remain exact.  The independent scale linked to distance1 or the chained parameter both work fine.  I'd probably go with the independent scale if the block is having more actions added as chained parameters can sometimes cause issues when more actions are added to the block.  

If the swing angles are incremental, then I would use visibility states.  I haven't come up with a good solution for non-incremental swing angles.  It can be done with constraints, but then making the door size adjustable is problematic.   

Message 7 of 8
millerew17

I got in a tussle with that arc yesterday and figured since a real door has a bevel on the swing side, I needed one there. Good catch!

I'll keep this advice handy when I get back at it on Tuesday. Have a great weekend and thanks so much for the help!

Message 8 of 8
millerew17

Same door, Different day.

Does a person need to have a Base Point Parameter before the Alignment Parameter is added?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services