Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door blocks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
EmyrGriffiths
903 Views, 12 Replies

Door blocks

My office are trying to create door blocks and they are listing out all the various options which is taking them an age! I've suggested the attached as an alternative but the only problem is the arc of the door swing doesn't change consistenlty with the door leaf and door opening.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Got to be something to do with distance and selecting the arc but I'm not sure!

Many thanks

Em

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: EmyrGriffiths

I would make it more like this.

For the changing of the arc i simply used a scale action.

And i added an alignment parameter to align it with the wall you want to atache it to.

regards

Thomas

Message 3 of 13
EmyrGriffiths
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks Thomas. I've just seen someone elses door where they have used scale whcih I've also just tried. I still think stetch on the door leaf is the right way otherwise it narrows as well. Yours and my latest have the same issue - scaling the arc doesn't realte to a base point. I don't know if this is because of the origin of the arc in relation to the origin of the block

Message 4 of 13

A few years back a number of us posted examples of our DynBlks in a post titled Dynamic Blocks Show-Off. I posted several versions of doors which can be dragged to a number of sizes, and opened any multiple of 15 degrees all the way from closed to 180 degrees, and which had a door arc that changed with the size and angle of swing. It had something to do with using an angle dimension with overrides. You should search for it or something similar....

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 5 of 13

The Scale does relate to a base point: The base of the Stretch Action.

Unless the Action used to drive the Scale and the Center of the Arc are at the same point you get the error that you see.

The distance (X & Y) of the center of the Arc is also being Scaled with the Scale Action thus moving the center point.

So's you don't have to look too hard, Bob's solution attached (in my own way).

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Verry nice idea to use the angular annotation.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: EmyrGriffiths

I share my version dynamic block for doors.

Message 8 of 13
EmyrGriffiths
in reply to: Anonymous

Getting a little closer to what I want. Would rather the base point else where but unfortunately there is the scaling issue with the arc

Message 9 of 13

If it helps with implementing the Block you can move just the Grip of the Distance2 Parameter to a more suitable location.

This will not affect the function of the Parameter or its assigned Actions.

Message 10 of 13

I must add that the angled dimension wasn't my idea, but that's part of what these forums are all about 🙂

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 11 of 13

Charles - I've just realised that my block won't work properly when it's flipped then stretched, Pretty much tried doing what you have done. From what I can see settings are the same apart from door leaf angle. Not sure what I've done wrong. Any hints?

Message 12 of 13

Try not including Actions in the Flip.

Though this is not alwyas the case.

Always post what you got if there is a problem.

Message 13 of 13

If it's like the one I posted, I never could get flip actions to work nicely with that polar rotate and stretch either.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services