Did you mean: 

Din rail help and sample

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
T_RIGBY94
2609 Views, 6 Replies

Din rail help and sample

i have made both a dynamic block for din rail, i need help with the final element of it. 

i have made both the sides and holes move indepently so i have it the exact length and not lose any holes. however what i am struggling with is cutting those holes to make it look realistic using actions in block editor.

i can use the XCLIp function or wipeouts but only in the modelling view (shown below)

help 1.png

(length of dinrail right but hole over hangs)

help 2.png

(using an xclip works, but leaves the line on the right hand side hole, not realistic)

i want something this automatically cuts the cut rail at the right length i need it. please help

attached is the file, feel free to muck about with it and use it at your own disposal.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Libbya
in reply to: T_RIGBY94

If you can deal with making the stretch incremental and a wipeout as part of the block, the attached file will work well.

The lower grip pulls to 1" increments.  The upper grip does an additional fine increment of 1/32".  You would have to adapt the concept to your own file (you didn't post one).

Message 3 of 7
T_RIGBY94

Message 4 of 7
ojuris

look at this

Message 5 of 7
T_RIGBY94
in reply to: ojuris

@ojuris wrote:

look at this

that is fantastic!!!!!

how is it done? as i need to do a similar design for cable trunking

MANY THANKS & KUDOS

Message 6 of 7
ojuris

I use double lookup, to use linear parameter Distance1 as I want to

other things I think do not make problems

Message 7 of 7
Libbya

If the block juris posted meets the need, then there is no need to look further, however I would mention two potential downsides.  One is that the length is finite and limited by the lookup table.  After a length of 250, it will stop functioning properly.  Obviously, the number of rows in the table can be increased to be as large as you might need (if you know how large that is) and the table only has to be made once.  The other potential downside is in placing an offset wipeout on top of linework.  I have found that to be an issue when plotting unless the offset of the wipeout is very exactly matched to the lineweight of the object beneath it.  If the offset is too large, then the lines it is wiping out show incorrectly, if it is too small, then the wipout covers up some of the line and when plotting shows a lighter lineweight than desired.  

Attached is a file with three other options that could be used.  Each of them eliminate the use of the offset wipeout on top of desired linework.  Two of the otpions are infinite in length but have the downside of the use of a second grip for fine-tuning.  Unfortunately, the ability to dynamically manipulate arcs is, IMO, very limited and so, making that type of exact arc intersection is difficult.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services