Combined Visibility States in Dynamic Blocks

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
TBOMS
2692 Views, 24 Replies

Combined Visibility States in Dynamic Blocks

[Running AutoCAD 2015 on Win7]

Is it possible to give visibility states further "pop-out-menu" visibility state options? (i.e. when you hover over a visibility state option, a second pop-out-menu is available to pick further visibility states for that choice).

Where this is useful, is if you have a set of secondary variables (e.g. open/closed, on/off, hatch/no hatchetc.) that you want to be able to apply to all your primary visibility states (e.g. type, size, etc). This cleans up/ organizes the visibility states list, and means I don't have to create as many visibility states when building the block.

I don't know if this is done solely with visibility states, or if I need to incorporate lookup tables, block property tables, and the like (which I don't know very much about).

Just a note: "visibility-add-eng.lsp." is not what I'm looking for; I don't really want the user(s) to have to pick from different visibility menu icons all over the block.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

TBOMS

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Libbya
in reply to: TBOMS

Short of visibility-add-eng you can only add one visibility parameter per block and it does not have the otpion of flyout menus.  You can also only add one block properties table and while it has menus that somewhat closer resemble what you are saying, it is not exactly it either.  Lookup tables can be used to simulate multiple visibility parameters and you can have lookup tables show up contextually.

Message 3 of 25
TBOMS
in reply to: Libbya

Thanks Libbya, I will look more into Lookup tables.
Message 4 of 25
vsrisaichaitanya

BY USING REVERSE LOOKUP TABLES, DROP DOWN WITH FURTHER DROP DOWN IS POSSIBLE LIKE IN THE BLOCK PROPERTY TABLE...?IF POSSIBLE SEND ME ANY EXAMPLE....

THANK IN ADVANCE......

Message 5 of 25
Libbya
in reply to: vsrisaichaitanya

It is not possible to have a further drop down menu within the main menu using lookups, but it is possible to have contextual lookups that become visible when a specific state in the main menu is chosen.  In other words, if you had a dynamic block called "Pets" and in the first state a lookup menu gave the choices of Cats, Dogs and Fish then depending on which of those three were selected a contextual lookup can appear.  If Cats was chosen then the lookup options could then be Siamese, Calico, Etc.  If Dogs was selected, then the contextual lookup menu would be Chihuahua, Poodle, Terrier, etc...

Message 6 of 25
vsrisaichaitanya

Thank u for the quick reply , can you any provide drawing example....so that i can understand in much better way.... 

Message 7 of 25
Libbya
in reply to: vsrisaichaitanya

Ok, see attached.  Notice the menu options for the lookup in the smaller circle change depending on the choice of the lookup in the larger circle.  Regen after changing the selection.

Message 8 of 25
steven-g

Or without visibility states

Message 9 of 25
Ebbe_T_Hansen

The "pop-out-menu" is possible with a Block Properties table as shown in this small example.

However it is not a shotcut to avoid a lot of visibility states if that is what you need. You still have to make a line in the table for each combination of whatever is controlled by the table, which rapidly grows with the number of parameters.

Message 10 of 25
bdavisHP8JL
in reply to: Ebbe_T_Hansen

Hi Ebbe_T_Hansen,

I was searching for information regarding a way (if at all possible) to add a (sort-of) 2nd lookup to a DB, and found this post with example;

...ta-da! ... it's just what I was hoping to find!

But, as I'm fairly new to DB, I'm having trouble finding those basic 'step-by-step' instructions to create what you have illustrated. 

I created a DB showing a variety of P&ID valves: gate, ball, plug, needle, diaphragm, (see attachment: TEST Gate Valves.dwg).
What I'd like to do, is have the choice of showing a valve with different types of flanges, (or show the valve with no flange at all). 
So, in the first list (pulldown) the type of valve would be choosen; and in the second list (pulldown) the choice would be to show valve with either a standard flange, or a non-standard type flange. My DB shows what the two types of flanges look like.

As you have shown, each fruit type has a choice of being in a circle or a square; mine would be valve with standard flange or speciality flange.

I am able to insert a blank Block Property Table, but I feel lost as to what and how the rolls and columns are populated... I realize it's been a while since you posted this illustration, but perhaps you can direct me to a detail sample with step-by-step instructions? my searching hasn't been very productive.

many thanks,
Barbara

Message 11 of 25
Libbya
in reply to: bdavisHP8JL

Here's a screencast that outlines how to do the block properties visibility changes.  Let me know if you get stuck.

Message 12 of 25
bdavisHP8JL

Thanks Libbya! This is WAY more than I expected... and so very appreciated ... I am having one problem:

I am following your video with sound off ( I'm in a very small office and obviously, not smart enought to remember headphones ), but, all was going along very nicely until I clicked on Parameters Manager while in Block Editor. It will not open. From what I can find, there is a setting to turn the display on in Block Editor, but I do not know where/how to do that... can you help with that as well? 

Thanks

Barbara

Message 13 of 25
Libbya

Maybe this is your issue.  You're not missing anything with the sound off.  There isn't any sound recorded with the screencast.

Message 14 of 25
bdavisHP8JL

YES!

I had seen this post, and tried it... don't know what I did differntly this time, but I've got the Parameters Manager in Block Editor now!

Whew! Thanks again!

Barbara

Message 15 of 25
jarredmonday

I'm only able to use the parameter properties box when I'm closed out of the Block editor. When I'm in Block editor my screen jogs a little when I toggle it on and off. I also had to use the command "PARAMETERS" to pull it up.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 16 of 25
bdavisHP8JL
in reply to: jarredmonday

yes my screen jiggles a little too... I thought I had the Parameters Manager thingie fixed and thought it had opened, but I was wrong... was looking at Layer Manager menu - boo-hoo... I read in a couple of places that there is a toggle to turn it on... it is somewhere in CUI... I'm fairly new to Autocad, and still learning, so, alas, still searching... 

Message 17 of 25
bdavisHP8JL

Hi All,

Is there a limit to the number of 'fly-out' menus you can have with a Combined Visiblitiy/Lookup Table?

Orginally, I wanted to have a block showing 5 different types of P&ID valves - all variations of a gate valve.

And I wanted to have the ability to show each valve type without a flange set, or with a regular flange set or with a speciality flange set.

Thanks to Libbya posting the video, I was able to make this happen!

Now I'm getting gready... and in addition to the above, I'd like to have another 'fly-out' menu, allowing for a list of seven different actuators to choose from/shown too.

I'm pretty close, and now have a fly-out menu listing the seven different actuators, but I've got a problem; my actuators do not show up. I'm hopeful it is just a simple fix, a step I missed, or something I don't know about. 

Attached is the file if anyone cares to look at it, comments/suggestions will be greatly appreaciate.

Thanks

Barbara

Message 18 of 25
Libbya

After creating the additional visibility states it appears you didn't update the Block Properties Visibility column for the additional states.  It should work after doing so.  

Message 19 of 25
bdavisHP8JL

Hi Libbya,

Thanks for looking at my block and the fast reply!

You make it sound so easy - alas, I'm needing a bit more hand-holding.

I can not find the way to update the Block Properties Visibility column for the additional states.  

I hate to take up more of your time,.. but where do I look/go??? 

thanks

Barbara

Message 20 of 25
Libbya

Here's a screencast.  I didn't complete the block but you'll get the idea.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services