Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chained action confusion

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
perry59
314 Views, 5 Replies

chained action confusion

I am trying to create a "simple" DB, a variation on a callout block. Its just a simple oblong border around an attribute with a "leg" on one end.
I want to be able to stretch the leg and stretch the border (to accomodate different lengths of text). I also want to be able to turn the border off if desired and to flip the object along a vertical axis.
So far it all works just peachy, I can turn the border on/off, stretch the leg or the border (and the text stays centered in the border) and flip it.
Just one thing is screwy. If I flip it, the text flys out of the border. If it flips multiple times the text gets further away. I chained the position of the attribute to the stretch action on the border (or I thought it was chained to only the stretch action) to keep it centered, but it looks like it is also chained to the flip action.
Thats where I am confused, when you "chain" an action is it chained to just the previous ONE action, all previous actions, or ALL actions previous and post? Does it make a difference at what point in the DB construction you mark an action as chained?
I have attached a copy of the file, if someone could clear this up for me I'd appreciate it! Edited by: perry59 on Feb 14, 2010 5:52 PM
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Charles_Shade
in reply to: perry59

The Chaining does muck things up. Each time the Move Action is invoked since it is tied to a Parameter that is asked to perform each time.
Remove the Position Parameter and then dbl click the Move Action and pick the Border Length Parameter for the Move Action to work from.
This should clear up the issue.
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

remove point parameter (position) from flip action - flip only
attribute, not point parameter

On 2010.02.14. 19:53, perry59 wrote:
> I am trying to create a "simple" DB, a variation on a callout block. Its just a simple oblong border around an attribute with a "leg" on one end.
> I want to be able to stretch the leg and stretch the border (to accomodate different lengths of text). I also want to be able to turn the border off if desired and to flip the object along a vertical axis.
> So far it all works just peachy, I can turn the border on/off, stretch the leg or the border (and the text stays centered in the border) and flip it.
> Just one thing is screwy. If I flip it, the text flys out of the border. If it flips multiple times the text gets further away. I chained the position of the attribute to the stretch action on the border (or I thought it was chained to only the stretch action) to keep it centered, but it looks like it is also chained to the flip action.
> Thats where I am confused, when you "chain" an action is it chained to just the previous ONE action, all previous actions, or ALL actions previous and post? Does it make a difference at what point in the DB construction you mark an action as chained?
> I have attached a copy of the file, if someone could clear this up for me I'd appreciate it!
>
> Edited by: perry59 on Feb 14, 2010 5:52 PM
Message 4 of 6
perry59

Removing the position paramter caused the text to no longer be centered
in the border. I also caused the text to protrude from the border if the text
was lengthened, even if the border was stretched.
It did help the flipping problem though!
Message 5 of 6
perry59

Removing the position parameter from the flip action got me what I wanted !
It seemed strange though to do this. It seemed that when flipped, the position
would end up on the wrong side of the object. Weird.
I'd still like to know more about this chaining thing.

Thanks!
Message 6 of 6
Charles_Shade

Thanks for the follow up. I did not test so did not know but would ask if you added the Move Action to the Stretch Parameter with a .5 multiplier?
Glad Juris was able to get you to where you needed to be.
Regards, Charles Shade

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services