Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you import data into a block attribute?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
stevenkrahn
1725 Views, 9 Replies

Can you import data into a block attribute?

I have recently been playing with dynamic blocks. I have been updated the blocks we use at work for better work efficiency and came across the advanced options in blocks. I've learned about actions and parameters, but would now like to go a step further with block attributes, but can't seem to figure it out. Perhaps it isn't even possible. So, here is the question:

Is there a way to associate the stretch of an object with an attribute? An example is when I stretch the height of the wall, is it possible to change a note connected to it which states the amount of steel needed to support the wall? I've learned you can - although I have not yet figured out how - extract data to a table based on what is in the attribute. Can you reverse that? Or how would you go about this situation? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer this question.

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

THIS IS POSSIBLE THROUGH "INSERT FIELD" OPTION WHILE DEFINING THE ATTRIBUTES IN A BLOCK. "INSERT FIELD" OPTION APPEARS IF YOU "RIGHT CLICK" IN THE "DEFAULT" BOX DURING ATTRIBUTE DEFINITION.

I AM ATACHING A SAMPLE BLOCKS FILE IN WHICH ATTRIBUTE VALUES CHANGE IF YOU STRECH THE BLOCK AND THEN BY GIVING "REGEN" COMMAND.

Message 3 of 10

Thanks for you help. It's appreciated, but I had already figured that much out. An example of what I need is for a foundation wall, based on the backfill, what the steel needed to support it changes. So if I stretch the backfill height, the note will change from 10M @ 36" to 10M @ 18" for example. I'm just curious if that is possible.

Message 4 of 10
Libbya
in reply to: stevenkrahn

Is the backfill part of the block?  If so, then yes, it is easy.  Please post up an example block with the description of what is desired and I will show you how.

Message 5 of 10
stevenkrahn
in reply to: Libbya

Thanks for your reply. I've attached a sample block for your use. It's fairly basic, and it has all the explanations in the block. I messed it up a bit though so what your going to have to do is insert a block into the block which is in the file. The one to insert is called "6inch ICF". I hope that will be enough. If something goes wrong, I'll try to prepare another for you. Thanks for your time!

Message 6 of 10
Libbya

It looks like you got the block properties table working with constraints.  I dramatically prefer dynamic parameters over constraints as they behave MUCH more consistently.  In fact I managed to 'break' your block without even trying...  There is nothing wrong with how you have that part set up, but I would have done the same with linear distance parameters, stretch actions and a lookup rather than block properties table.  The dynamic parameters and actions are MUCH more consistent in their behavior.

I assume that the way you want it set up is that you have the choice of footing size and the choice of wall height.  Do you also want to be able to choose the backfill height and have the verticalsteel spacing change?  Or does the max backfill height also change based on the height of the wall?  Is the footing size determined by the height of the wall as well?  Or is the footing size another input that would affect the vertical steel spacing and the backfill height?  If the backfill height is dependant upon the wall height do you want the actual backfill height dimension size to change or just the text value?

I made a few adjustments based on the assumption that the wall height determines the verticalsteel value AND the backfill height and that the footing size is an independent choice that does not affect any other values.  I also assumed that the actual backfill dimension size remains constant and just the text value changes.  

I added a lookup parameter and table in order to create the appropriate values for the VERTICALSTEEL attribute and the BACKFILLHEIGHT attribute. You might be able to do similar with multiple fields possibly with formula fields.  I then used a Blockplaceholder field as the default value and the field references the value of the Verticalsteel Lookup. You will have to fill in the actual note display and the values for the input properties that would correspond to that display, I just made stuff up to show how it works.  For the backfill height, I would not use a rotated dimension as the text may be harder to manage.  I used a multi-line attribute for all of the backfill text and inserted the backfillheight field into the attribute value.  I also changed both attributes so that preset is YES as you really are not looking for user input into the attribute values.  If other users mess up the fields there are other ways to prevent that as well.  After changing the wall height, you need to do a regen for the field values to update.

Let me know if you need further explanation/assistance.

Message 7 of 10
stevenkrahn

Thanks for your time thus far Libbya. For some reason when you attached the block to your last reply, it came as the same I sent it. I've attached another block, this time without constraints. I hate to waste your time, but could you perhaps fix it up the way you recommended in your last post? This is actually my first advanced block, so I wasn't really sure how to do it best.

I think that I might have brought my last request up wrong. What I was hoping for was the footing would be it's own independant thing which you can change seperate from the rest. Then I was hoping that the steel note would change based on both the wall height and the backfill height. So both the wall height and the backfill height would play a part in the amount of steel required. For example, If the wall is 96" high and has 5' backfill, it would show 10M @ 24" o.c. but if you stretch the wall to 112" and still had 5' backfill, it would change to 10M @ 18" o.c. However, if I kept the 96" but changed to 6' backfill, it would show 10M @ 12" o.c.

I will send you a private message as well containing a table that will hopefully explain things a bit better. Thank you again for your time. It means a lot.

Message 8 of 10
Libbya

If when you open the file I sent, when it asks if you want to open it in block editor you say "NO", I think it will work properly.

Regardless, here it is again without cleaned of the block authoring elements.

Your desired result is a little different from how I set it up before, but is certainly doable. 

Message 9 of 10
Libbya

Here is an updated version.  I did not finish the block but it works for backfill height of 4' or 5' for any wall height and either wall width.  You will have to fill in the VertSteelAtt values for backfill height above 5' to finish the block - until filled in it will just display CUSTOM for the vertical steel attribute.  I added the wall width parameter and stretch and added the Width also as an input property for the VertSteelAtt value.  I added another lookup called backfillheight so that if the backfill height grip is stretched above the permissible backfill height for a given wall width/height then it will display the permissible max backfill height.  E.g. if the wall is 6" width and the backfill is pulled up to 9', it will still say 'NOT TO EXCEED 6'-0"'  You can look at that lookup table to see how I made it do that.   For the lookup tables, you use brackets or parentheses for a range of values.  Brackets include the perimeter value.  Parentheses exclude it.  In other words, if I say a value of [0,10'], the value range will include every value from 0 to 10' including both 0 and 10'.  If I say [7',12'6) then the value range will be from 7' to 12'6" and will include 7' but will not include 12'6.  You can also separate multiple individual values with just a comma.  

Message 10 of 10
stevenkrahn

Wow Libbya, Thanks a ton. I'm sorry I gave you the impression that I wanted the whole table done. I was just hoping for an example and you went the extra mile. Thank you so much for your time. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services