Did you mean: 

Bolt with nut

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
c-wych
2760 Views, 22 Replies

Bolt with nut

Hi.  So I'm trying to make a dynamic bolt that has a nut on it that can move back and forth but is constrained to the max distance set by the bolt length.  I want one line type between the head of the bolt and a different line type between the end of the bolt and the nut.

Currently if I take my nut past the end of the bolt, the lines are all messed up?

Thoughts?

I'm new to dynamic blocks but liking them.  I hope my wish isn't greater then something possible.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Charles_Shade
in reply to: c-wych

Wow, that Education Version warning sure takes up a lot of screen real estate.

Post screen shots or PDF's of your drawing file and I'll see what I can do to help.

I do not want to open an Education Vesion created file and risk infecting my drawings.

Paranoid as that may be...

Message 3 of 23
PaulMunford

How about starting the 'Bolt position' parameter from the other end, so that it can't slide past the end of the bolt?

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 4 of 23
c-wych
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Opening the education drawing won't infect your other files unless you copy from my file  to your own file.

Attached is the pdfs.  The "bolt bad" is what I don't want, I want the bolt to either stop at the end of just float in space without the solid lines showing where the dashed lines should be.

Message 5 of 23
c-wych
in reply to: PaulMunford

Hmmm starting from the other end might work but I want the base point at the head of the bolt.

Message 6 of 23
Charles_Shade

Oh I know that but as I said I am quite paranoid in that regrad and will not open an Education DWG.

Does the Bolt Length Stretch Action include the Nut Position Parameter?

Message 7 of 23
Bob_Zurunkle

What if:

1. Origin point remains the same

2. Bolt length parameter remains the same

3. Nut position parameter is from the other end of the bolt, with the stretch grip at the face of the nut that would normally contact what you tighten it to.

4. The stretch action on the bolt length includes the nut position parameter.

5. You add an associative hatch representing bolt threads.

6. You add another parameter controlling bolt size.

I did something similar last year, to what is essentially a u-bolt to make it 3 different lengths (controls thread length also). It also has a bent plate with nuts that slides up and down the shafts of the u-bolt. I also added wipeouts in the appropriate draw order. I can't post it here because it is "proprietary", but recently I also did this in 3D in Revit Structure 🙂

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 8 of 23
PaulMunford
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Another suggestions would be to make the Nut a nested blck, which includes a wipeout. No line problems at all then!

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 9 of 23
calteq

Is this any good?

Regards

Geoff

Message 10 of 23
c-wych

That does help a bit.  Although it still lets me make the length of the bolt shorter then the where the nut positon is.

Message 11 of 23
Thomas.l

Is this what you need?

Message 12 of 23
c-wych
in reply to: Thomas.l

Kind of.  I want to be able to change the length of the bolt also.  So its really a combination of the last two files.

Message 13 of 23
ojuris
in reply to: Thomas.l

may be something like that?

Message 14 of 23
c-wych
in reply to: ojuris

That works except I also was hoping for the ability to have a hidden line between the head of the bold and the nut.  But other then that, its perfect.  Thanks.

Message 15 of 23
ojuris

try this

Message 16 of 23
c-wych

That works.  And it seems so simple.  Smiley Happy  Thanks for the help.  I don't know why it didn't work when I tried it, atleast now I can look at it and see how it works and expand my AutoCAD knowledge more.

Message 17 of 23
calteq

Here's another

Message 18 of 23
RockyBrown4134
in reply to: calteq

Here's another

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
Message 19 of 23
dcasciato

This is the type of drawing block I am looking for. A couple of things - this is still Metric. The question and what I am looking for is a ANSI (Imperial) drawing. Also looking at the properties you specify the "Grip" distance. How do we streach this bolt, i.e. change the grip dimension?

Thanks - DJC

Message 20 of 23
dcasciato
in reply to: RockyBrown4134

I like your block - couple of things. When opening the Block - I am told there are "Authoring Elements" and optioned to open in "Block Edit Mode".

On screen I see the definitions of dimension. Thinking this can be modified for my desired bolt diameter and grip thickness... can't understand how to change these elements. Help please or feel free to point to a YouTube video.

Great Job - DJC

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services