Block Properties or Lookups... or both?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
cbenner
492 Views, 9 Replies

Block Properties or Lookups... or both?

Here is a question for you dynamic block masters:

I would like to concatenate a block attribute from a series of either lookups or block properties form a table.  The attribute would use a series of fields as in LOOKUP1-LOOKUP2 etc...

Here's the problem, is there any way to have a user choose, for example, from a list or a table and have the result send them to another list or table until the desired value is selected?

Here's the scenario:

I want to obtain a fluid code.  This code is selected from a list of codes available based on the type of service in the line: eg. Water, Air etc.  In the Dynamic block environment is there a way to have a user select one value from a list for the service, which then presents them with the proper list for the codes?  Or is this somehting that is driving me into the realm of the programmers?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Libbya
in reply to: cbenner

Can you post up an example block?

I believe you can do what you want with either one but the way block properties selection works sounds more like what you are looking for.  Personally I prefer lookups, but lookups will not automatically go to the next property selection and so would require the user to click on each lookup in turn.  An example block to play with would be helpful.  

Message 3 of 10
cbenner
in reply to: Libbya

Here is the block I've been playing in.  It's a huge mess because I've been trying lots of different suggestions.

Lookup1 is a size parameter... easy.  A simple list.  The tricky one is the fluid code.  They vary depending on what the fluid service is.  The complete list is too long to put in one lookup or table, so I'd like to have it set up so that the user first selects the fluid category, and is then given a new list of the codes based on what category they pick.  

I have this image in my head of a lovely elaborate dialog box with all sorts of pull downs and pick buttons etc.... but my Lisp skills are limited to being able to get my name to show up on the screen... and I'd have to use a reference book to get that much done.  So, I'm exploring options that are within my reach... I think.

Message 4 of 10
ojuris

I don't know is it what you loking for but just look file and properties table

I add line just fo see that in that way parameters can change too

Juris

Message 5 of 10
cbenner
in reply to: ojuris
Message 6 of 10
Libbya

I don't see a reason to use both Lookups and a Block Properties Table.  I would use either one or the other and the decision on which to use would be the style of selection and how much work you want to do setting it up.  Lookups require the user to select each one in turn but are easier to set up.  Block properties can do the progressive pulldowns but you need to input each permutation of each variable to get that to work properly which is a considerable amount of  additional work.  If the selection of the first variable changes which next variable options are available that is a vote in favor of the block properties but can be done with Lookups also coupled to visibility states but that gets considerably more complicated.  Either one can manipulate other parameters within the block.  The attached block shows the same basic functionality set up two different ways.  I didn't finish the block properties table as it gets exponentially larger with each variable...

Message 7 of 10
mjonas

Libbya you made my day!!

Is it just me or is the feature of progressive pulldowns or "Submenus" not really documented in any help-files?

Thank you anyways!

Another point to the discussion of Propertie Tables vs Lookup Tables would be that you can paste data from excel to Propertie Tables but you can not paste excel tables to Lookup Tables, which turnes them useless in some cases.

Message 8 of 10
cbenner
Message 9 of 10
Libbya

You can only have one block properties table in a block.  You can have as many lookups as you want.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services