Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basepoint Rotation Bug and Solution

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Libbya
2743 Views, 11 Replies

Basepoint Rotation Bug and Solution

This is really just a 'brain dump'.  I have gradually become aware of this 'bug', how it occurs and how to fix it.  It may not actually be considered a bug, but it definitely has caused unexpected behavior in several blocks that I have made and taken a fair amount of time to resolve.  Basically, it goes like this:

If the basepoint parameter is added to the selection set of a rotation action, then point parameters will rotate around the basepoint parameter rather than the basepoint of the rotation/polar parameter.  The easiest solutions are either to not add the basepoint to the selections set, place it at the basepoint of the rotation/polar parameter or to add it to the selection set of a point move that is added to the selection set of the rotation action.

I attached a file which illustrates this issue and the two solutions.  

In block 1, the basepoint parameter is not added to the selection set.  The text and text separator line in the callout remain horizontal and correclty positioned in the callout circle.  When rotated, the block shows the errant block 0,0 insertion point grip.

In block 2, the basepoint parameter is added at the block's 0,0 point and added to the selection set of the polar rotate and rotate actions.  The basepoint grip moves as it should, but the text and text divider no longer stay located in the circle as they are now rotating around the basepoint parameter rather than the basepoint of the rotation parameter.

In block 3, the basepoint parameter is added to the basepoint of the polar and rotate parameters.  Everything rotates as it should, but that may or may not be the best location for the basepoint parameter, or it may be desirable to rotate the basepoint parameter with more than one rotate action.

In block 4, a chained point move is added, the basepoint parameter is added to the point moves selection set, the basepoint parameter is removed from the rotation actions' selection sets and the chained point move is added to them.  Everything works as it should.  

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

This worked perfectly!! Thanks for the tips!!!
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Libbya,

I'm having problmes with the rotation parameter in my dynamic block (it is a section cut) and I've tried to impliment your directions for block#4 into mine.  Mine still is not working properly.  The 'circle' separates from the 'arrow' as it rotates. I've set and reset the basepoint parameter in different locations and have added and deleted the basepoint paramter from various parameters (rotate and move).  I've attached my block.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you modify your selection set for the rotation parameter and add Distance1, Position2, and Position1 to your selection set, it should rotate correctly. Let me know if that doesn't work.
Message 5 of 12
Libbya

The 'Stretch' action associated with Distance1 is messing it up.  I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with it.  It seems like you might want a polar stretch instead and in that case, you will need to do a chained point move on the items in the other circle as well.  See attached.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

cronina,

Distance 1 was part of the original rotation selection, but I've added Position 1 and Postion 2.  Still not rotating correctly.  The 'circle' and the 'arrow' separate.  I've attached a screen shot.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Libbya,

This is exactly what i am looking for.  Thanks for removing the thorn from my side.

To clarify, you changed the stretch command I had to a 'polar stretch' and added another point parameter with a move action to the 'right' side circle?  Can you help me understand why these two changes/additions solved my problem.

Message 8 of 12
Libbya

If you are actually wanting a stretch action rather than polar stretch like I last posted, and you do want to be able to misalign the two section lines, then see attached.  Your stretch action was 'messing it up' as I posted before, by moving the attributes and base point, but leaving behind the chained point move.  Instead, you need to stretch the point move and remove from the stretch selection set all of the objects that are moved by the point move.  

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Libbya,

Thanks again.  I see it now.

Message 10 of 12
Libbya

I posted that last response prior to seeing your previous post.  Anyway, I'm glad you see the issue.

With the polar stretch, I had to add that second chained point/move to the right circle because the base point of the polar parameter is not at the center of that circle.  You can avoid that added complication by placing the Distance1 start point at the center of the right circle and place the end point at the far left side.  See attached.  

Message 11 of 12
msarqui

1000 kudos to you.

Many thanks for sharing this.

Marcelo

Message 12 of 12
BigThumper

This is an absolute life saver! Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services