Did you mean: 

Array & Space evenly

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
2946 Views, 21 Replies

Array & Space evenly

Hello!!

Whoever is able to help me out with this problem is a life saver! Been trying to figure out a way to do this for a while now...

What I am trying to do is create a dynamic section showing the length of a beam, with wood stringers on top of it. As the beam is stretched to the desired length, the stringers(wood pieces - which is a cross-section) space themselves evenly between the two ends. Once the spacing between two stringers reaches a certain distance (ie 1 ft), it automatically inserts a new stringer and re-spaces all the stringers evenly once again. I usually do the spacing using the AEC Modify Tools -> Space Evenly command, but not sure if there is a way to integrate this into a dynamic block.

Any suggestions are welcome, if you need a better explanation please let me know~!

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
wayz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

It would be a good start if you could post your original file in here and state what version of auotcad you are using so we can work on your actual file.

Cheers,
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous

Sorry about that, i am using autocad 2007. i've attached the block that i have (so far)..everything works alright except for the array that repeats the joists every 488mm as the main beam is stretched. I would like to have the automatically space them evenly between the two end points, once this spacing exceeds 488, another joist in inserted and they are spaced evenly once again...
Message 4 of 22
Charles_Shade

Would this work?
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

Since it doesn't do what the OP requested I'm
guessing not.  The stringers are not all equally spaced in your
block.  The end spaces vary depending on the beam length while the middle
spaces stay constant.  This was not the request.

Unfortunately, I don't think it can be done. 
An array with a variable x offset?  Haven't seen it yet.  Would be
nice though... Or a divide command incorporated into DB's.

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Would
this work?
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 6 of 22
Charles_Shade

Which is why I asked if this might do the trick.
Since it did not, the OP is at his leisure to ignore the submittal; which due to how long it has been sitting I assume he did.
My heartfelt thanks for your learned input.
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous

I have seen some stuff over on the AUGI forum before, where as you stretch the wall upward, more CMU cells were added. Not sure but I imagine the length was probably restrained to multiples of 8". Perhaps a study of some of the examples over there could come up with something that could add stringers as long as it was restrained to that spacing...
Message 8 of 22
IanH5033

Healy,

did you ever get an answer to your problem? I have managed to figure out a crude way to do it with a dynamic block but wondered if anybody had got a neater answer.

Ian
Message 9 of 22
Charles_Shade

Post the block
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 10 of 22
IanH5033

Charles

I've been playing with the same problem with a block to show a floor section with the joists spaced evenly between walls. Attached dwg shows my DB in typical set-up. To use insert at centre between walls. stretch lower left grip until an arrayed joist (not the end one) appears beyond the wall face, back-off slightly to lose this one. Drag upper left grip to face of wall. If spacing of last 2 joists is too small, then drag block 300 (half the joist spacing) to right and re-adjust end fit. Drag right hand grips as for left (lower one first).

It's a bit crude but it seems to work (sometimes the scientific application of crude force is necessary!). The same principle should work for healy's beam and stringers, just turn the block upside down! I've also used a variation on this for MK@Roslein's conveyor belt problem.

Regards

Ian
Message 11 of 22
IanH5033

Charles,

forgot to mention in my previous that the block is metric!

Ian
Message 12 of 22
Joe-Bouza

I am envious of Your restrained composure.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 22
IanH5033

Charles,

Had a better idea in the early hours (1:30 a.m. GMT)! Attached block is simpler to operate.

Insert at centre as before, stretch end grips to fit. If spacing of last 2 joists looks oversize (if eyeball isn't accurate enough for your application, measure), move whole block 300 to left (or right, it doesn't matter) and adjust end grips.

Regards

Ian
Message 14 of 22
Charles_Shade

Why?
I ask why would you place floor joist in this manner? I'm assuming wood and not a steel joist/deck by your sizing. As a former framing contractor I would start at one end and layout the joists in one direction. Not from the center out. Sheathing from an edge is easier IMHO.
I'm just curious. If you give 50 people a shovel there will be 50 ways to dig a hole.
BTW - This is similar to the above array and others I use for porch rails.
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 15 of 22
Charles_Shade

Check - Check - Check- Check it out... For drawing various wall sections.
Although I gotta admit the file name sucks.
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 16 of 22
Charles_Shade

I always get a chuckle out of those who feel it neccesary to deride a poster here.
Makes me wonder how often they beat their cat. Not that that's a bad thing Monty Python
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 17 of 22
IanH5033

Charles,

On the architectural drawings it looks better - having worked both sides of the street, I know that the contractor is going to lay joists etc. out to suit him unless there is a very good reason to follow the drawings exactly!

It was really caused by looking at the original post from Healy and thinking the solution could come in handy for my drawings. The joist/floor example was really just a simplified way of trying to get the principle worked out. Also, too much time to sit and fiddle - comes from being self-employed with no work!

You know the old saw about giving somebody a hammer and they will find lots of things to hit, well, I now I've worked out the basics of arrays in DBs I keep finding !?uses?! for it. May have to go cold turkey soon!

Ian
Message 18 of 22
IanH5033

Charles

You must have read my mind, I was trying out some wall sections when I saw your post. I like the 2 and 3 brick thick walls - do you use those as retaining walls?

Attached are a couple of our standard cavity walls, in concrete block complete with insulation. I have discovered that if you set the distance parameter to 'increment' and set the increment to the height of a your array, when you stretch the grip you don't end up with the grip floating about beyond the arrayed block. It just feels better somehow when you use it.

Ian
Message 19 of 22
Charles_Shade

Dude we are kindred spirits. Started summers when I was 14 working for a builder. Framed for 10+ years in my twenties. Worked in a buildiers office for a few years and now am in my ninth year as a self-employed residential designer.
I upgraded to LT 2008 about 16 months ago and found DB's in Jan '09. With all the free time, yes it's quite slow, I seem to have embraced them completely. (I even get so giddy sometimes that I have to show my wife my brilliance!)
Ever put a skylite in the drawings?
Regards, Charles Shade
Message 20 of 22
Charles_Shade

Mostly for wall sections as in the attached drawing.
The increment is good if you are sure that the wall is going to be some multiple high. Regardless you generally need to explode these to get them just right.
Regards, Charles Shade
BTW - That insulation DB was the first DynBlk I worked with that a kind soul here showed me how to do. It's really more of a hatch but it works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services