DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TrueView won't install - self-extracting file freezes

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
kooler957
18250 Views, 14 Replies

TrueView won't install - self-extracting file freezes

I am attempting to install TrueView 2015 to my PC running Windows 7 32-bit ... however, the downloaded self-extracting file hangs and freezes @ 43.5mb out of 869mb ... the "cancel" command did not respond ... I needed to do cntrl-al-del to stop the process. I noticed it did start to create sub-folders and loaded some files ... I deleted those and restarted my computer. I downloaded a fresh copy and attempted install again, same result. Note: I did right-click "run as admin" just in case (already have full admin rights).

I followed a discussion link here and found a direct download copy of TrueView 2014, thought that might work, however, it did not ... it hung and froze about 39mb into the self-extracting process. This is really strange ... anybody else have same problem and found a fix?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: kooler957

Did you remember to turn off your firewall? Download seems to be working just fine right this minute.
Message 3 of 15
kooler957
in reply to: pendean

Thanks, but it's not a firewall issue as I am able to download the installer files; rather, the problem seems to be with the file format of the self-extracting installer - it freezes about 5 ~ 10% into the process.

Message 4 of 15
kooler957

After some more trial & error, I found that the problem is with the {*.sfx.exe} self-extracting installer files used by the 2014 and 2015 versions of TrueView. I found a 2013 version of TrueView to download; it was in the more conventional {*.exe} installer file format and it created the install working folder correctly without freezing, and I was able to successfully complete the install.

The 2013 TrueView software runs and functions as-expected, so I am satisfied that there is a work-around to use this handy file converter under Windows 7. There must be something embedded within the 2014 and 2015 installers that is trying to modify something that the OS doesn't like; hopefully Autodesk will release a revised installer for 2015 TrueView that is more compliant to MS requirements for Windows 7.

Message 5 of 15
sandhup

I am getting this issue installing Inventor, it get stuck trying to install Trueview 2015. Also Windows 7 32bit.

Message 6 of 15
jessica.t
in reply to: sandhup

Hi @sandhup,

Have you tried the solution above? What was the result? Please take the following precautions when trying to re-download:

• In the preferences or options area of your preferred browser, remove pop-up blockers and allow access to all *autodesk.com sites.
  • In the preferences or options area of your preferred browser, delete cookies, temporary internet files, and history.
  • Turn off your personal firewall or VPN, if you use one.
  • Disable UAC
  • Close and reopen your preferred browser.
  • Re-download from our Virtual Agent

Please let me know the results. Or please "Accept as a Solution" if this post resolves your issue so that others with this same question can more easily find an answer. Thanks!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 7 of 15
tarciziorp
in reply to: jessica.t

Jessica, 

In my case, I've downloaded the Self-extracting pack, executed the extraction to a temporary installation folder and what freezes is the installation of TrueView. Freezes in DirectX installation. I'm the notebook admin and the platform is Win7 64 Bits.

I've try to reboot and begin a fresh new install and still nothing, freezes in the same momment of installation. I'm with my Kaspersky tottaly disabled at the time of installation.

Thanks for any help.

Message 8 of 15
pendean

Try this tip ( and don't install from the website as part of the download process).
Message 9 of 15
wbberry

I am having the smae issue but with the 2016 version.

I am tring to install the 2016 version. I downloaded the SetupDWGTrueView2016_ENU_64bit.sfx.exe and it seemed to download just fine. The issue is that the seft extractor ever completes. I get to the 1.12G mark and it just freezes. I have tried it on several differnet systems as well as tried the 32-bit version and it to freezes. I have let them sit overnight thinking maybe it is just running a bit slow and had no effect. I had to eventually use the ctrl-alt-delete and go through task manager to kill the process to get it to quit.

Message 10 of 15
pendean
in reply to: wbberry

See if you missed any of these steps getting ready for the install http://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/installation-activation-licensing/get-ready/prepare-s...
Message 11 of 15

we had the same issues and I had checked our computers all computer meet the requirements.
Message 12 of 15
rbv_ionut

TRUE SOLUTION IF YOU DO WANT THE NEWEST FILE IS TO RUN THE INSTALLER AS ADMINISTRATOR !! 

Specifically, I did this:
1. Disabled Firewall

2. RIGHT CLICK ON THE INSTALLER, select " Run the installer as administrator "

That did the trick for me!

(I deducted that this should be done since one of the replyers said to turn of the UAC - User Account Control, but there's no need to if you give full access to the install utility by running it with full admin privileges)

Possible step 0. if the above doesn't work:
ALso prior to this, I tried installing the Redistributable package 2015 and it might had a say in the matter(it failed and I restarted the PC and executed the vc_redist.x64 installer one more time and pressed Repair to the damages done by the 1st try) - so, technically there shouldn't be any change so that's why I didn't put this as step 1.

(since my windows updates are turned off because I want to keep using Windows 7, 64 bit and not be forced to upgrade to newer version with that annoying pop-up for windows 10 😛 )

Message 13 of 15
pramoysitompul

could anyone help me please, i could'nt start DWG trueviewr...pop up windows message "C:\program files\autodesk\dwg trueview 2014\dwgviewr.exe attemp to access invalid address"

Message 14 of 15
pendean
in reply to: pramoysitompul

Your Windows .NET Framework got updated or is damaged perhaps: is this in Windows7 or 10?
Message 15 of 15
jmt5MZSB
in reply to: jessica.t

I have a client who had struggled trying to install TrueView on his PC.  I tried a few times, referred to this forum and tried some of the suggestions here to no avail.  After a while, I decided to clean up the windows temporary files folder in case there were some corrupt files in there causing the problem.  I typed %temp% in the run box only to get the prompt "How do you want to open the file?" with the list of apps to select from.  I enabled the Administrators account, logged in as administrator and the install worked fine as did the run command with %temp%.  This let me know that it was just the user's profile stopping the install.  I logged back in as the user and put the "%temp%" variable inside quotes and it opened without the prompt.  The Temp path had a space in it because the user's name had a space (e.g. C:\Users\First last\appdata\local\temp).  What this suggests is that late in the installation process, Autodesk's DWG Trueview install tries to access the Temp folder using the %temp% environment variable and is baffled if there is a space which makes it treat the path as multiple parameter separated by spaces.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report