DWG TrueView

DWG TrueView

kooler957
Message 1 of 6 (2,201 Views)
Accepted Solution

TrueView won't install - self-extracting file freezes

2201 Views, 5 Replies
04-09-2014 02:22 PM

I am attempting to install TrueView 2015 to my PC running Windows 7 32-bit ... however, the downloaded self-extracting file hangs and freezes @ 43.5mb out of 869mb ... the "cancel" command did not respond ... I needed to do cntrl-al-del to stop the process. I noticed it did start to create sub-folders and loaded some files ... I deleted those and restarted my computer. I downloaded a fresh copy and attempted install again, same result. Note: I did right-click "run as admin" just in case (already have full admin rights).

I followed a discussion link here and found a direct download copy of TrueView 2014, thought that might work, however, it did not ... it hung and froze about 39mb into the self-extracting process. This is really strange ... anybody else have same problem and found a fix?

After some more trial & error, I found that the problem is with the {*.sfx.exe} self-extracting installer files used by the 2014 and 2015 versions of TrueView. I found a 2013 version of TrueView to download; it was in the more conventional {*.exe} installer file format and it created the install working folder correctly without freezing, and I was able to successfully complete the install.

The 2013 TrueView software runs and functions as-expected, so I am satisfied that there is a work-around to use this handy file converter under Windows 7. There must be something embedded within the 2014 and 2015 installers that is trying to modify something that the OS doesn't like; hopefully Autodesk will release a revised installer for 2015 TrueView that is more compliant to MS requirements for Windows 7.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 6 (2,188 Views)

Re: TrueView won't install - self-extracting file freezes

04-09-2014 05:39 PM in reply to: kooler957
Did you remember to turn off your firewall? Download seems to be working just fine right this minute.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
kooler957
Message 3 of 6 (2,175 Views)

04-10-2014 06:14 AM in reply to: pendean

Thanks, but it's not a firewall issue as I am able to download the installer files; rather, the problem seems to be with the file format of the self-extracting installer - it freezes about 5 ~ 10% into the process.

kooler957
Message 4 of 6 (2,170 Views)

04-10-2014 07:18 AM in reply to: kooler957

After some more trial & error, I found that the problem is with the {*.sfx.exe} self-extracting installer files used by the 2014 and 2015 versions of TrueView. I found a 2013 version of TrueView to download; it was in the more conventional {*.exe} installer file format and it created the install working folder correctly without freezing, and I was able to successfully complete the install.

The 2013 TrueView software runs and functions as-expected, so I am satisfied that there is a work-around to use this handy file converter under Windows 7. There must be something embedded within the 2014 and 2015 installers that is trying to modify something that the OS doesn't like; hopefully Autodesk will release a revised installer for 2015 TrueView that is more compliant to MS requirements for Windows 7.

Contributor
sandhup
Message 5 of 6 (1,678 Views)

06-11-2014 06:34 AM in reply to: kooler957

I am getting this issue installing Inventor, it get stuck trying to install Trueview 2015. Also Windows 7 32bit.

Community Manager
jessica.t
Message 6 of 6 (1,661 Views)

06-11-2014 11:31 AM in reply to: sandhup

Hi @sandhup,

Have you tried the solution above? What was the result? Please take the following precautions when trying to re-download:

• In the preferences or options area of your preferred browser, remove pop-up blockers and allow access to all *autodesk.com sites.
  • In the preferences or options area of your preferred browser, delete cookies, temporary internet files, and history.
  • Turn off your personal firewall or VPN, if you use one.
  • Disable UAC
  • Close and reopen your preferred browser.
  • Re-download from our Virtual Agent

Please let me know the results. Or please "Accept as a Solution" if this post resolves your issue so that others with this same question can more easily find an answer. Thanks!

Jessica Thrasher
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!