DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TrueView 2015 and Design Review compatibility, please help!

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3955 Views, 8 Replies

TrueView 2015 and Design Review compatibility, please help!

I need to markup (red-line) some drawings. In order to do that...and according to this DWG TrueView 2015 website, I need to have "Design "Review" product installed and the site provides a link to do just that. So I installed Design Review 2013.

However, when I try to open a dwg in Design Review, it says;

Opening DWG files in Design review requires the latest verion of the free DWG TrueView program be installed.

Screenshot of error message attached.

I have the latest version (2015) of DWG Trueview installed, so why am I getting this error?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

With both programs involved, you are doing the right thing but in the wrong direction.  Open the DWG file with TrueView and plot a DWF file (if it helps, think of DWF as like PDF).  Open the DWF file with Design review and mark it up.  The DWF file contains the "printed" graphics along with your markups.  That DWF markups can also be overlaid directly in the DWG file using Markup Set Manager in an AutoCAD product (but not TrueView).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Oh wow....that's too many steps for my staff. I just want them to be able
to mark up .dwg files....not have to first convert them to dwf. Think I
might have to breakdown and buy a license for Fastlook. Anyway, thanks so
much for your reply. Very helpful.
Message 4 of 9
m_latz

Take a look to this thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-review/design-review-2013-will-not-open-dwg-files-anymore/td-p/...

this solves your problem.

regards

Markus

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: m_latz

Yes indeed...that worked great. Thanks so much for sharing this. I really
wish Autodesk would realize this....that there is an incompatibility with
Design Review 2013 and TrueView 2015, and fix the problem, so we don't have
to jump through hoops to make their products work properly. Thanks a
million.
Message 6 of 9
dgorsman

Hardly a single hoop, let alone multiple ones.  No different than doing PDF, either: print to file, mark up (going full circle with the MSM is fully optional).  If users have problems with that, I'd have problems trusting them with anything more complex than an EtchaSketch...

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Really? You think  having to making multiple custom registry edits to get an application to function is normal? I don't...hence my "jumping through hoops" comments.

Message 8 of 9
jgmechengr19

I was looking into this same issue.  I found that you can auto-publish to DWFx to a specific folder that could be accessed by the shop floor in the Autocad "options" menu.  You can set it to prompt you to publish when you save the drawing.

Here are the issues I have found so far with this:

--  If you publish each time you save, only the first version will save to the folder unless you change the file name for each revision.  This means either the drafter or the shop floor will have to change the drawing name.  For example part1.dwf to part1.1.dwf etc.  This could become very confusing after markups and new revisions of the dwf.  I am not sure why autodesk didn't just change to part1(1).dwf if there was already a file with the same name.. much like how downloads work in the download folder.

--  Also, I am assuming the shop floor has little drafting experience, so when I create a dimension in Design Review, I want the dimensions to snap to certain lines for dimensions.  There is no perpendicular feature, so unless you have endlines or intersections that match up, you cannot get exact dimensions of the perpendicular dimension, only the true distance.  If the dimension displayed also showed "delta x" and "delta y" this would not be an issue.  This goes for markup lines as well.. Most everything I need is a perpendicular dimension and this is hard to achieve.  

This is my first impression of the software...  And as of now, until I can figure out how to solve these issues, we will continue to use the good old red pen and paper.  

Please Reply if anyone has found a solution to this issue.

Thanks,

JG

Message 9 of 9
jgmechengr19
in reply to: jgmechengr19

Figured out the perpendicular dimension issue.. Hold shift while clicking second point and you will get the perpendicular snap.

found on this thread: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-review/snaping-to-perpendicular/m-p/1182004#M915

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report