DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem editing AutoCAD object embedded in excel.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jpcastiglioni
12506 Views, 7 Replies

Problem editing AutoCAD object embedded in excel.

Hello, I'm running AutoCAD 2008 and Excel 2010. I usually recive embedded dwg files in spreadsheets, and edit them by double click on them.
I didn't have problems until I installed DWG trueview 2010. Then these Ole objects, started being named as DWG TrueView Drawings (instead of Autocad Drawing as before), and can’t be edited double clicking them.
If you try to do this, a message box with the text "Cannot start the source application for this object" pops up.
I tried uninstalling Dwg TrueView 2010, and reinstalling autocad but it didn’t work.
I've also started with a new Excel sheet and new Acad drawing thinking there might be a version incompatability but I still get the same error.

If somebody had the same problem and found a work around, i will apreciate a lot the feedback.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cwt80
in reply to: jpcastiglioni

I am having the same issue with AutoCAD 2008 and Excel 2010.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Message 3 of 8

Nope, I tryied almost everything without finding afix, or a workaround.

I Just edited the file with a machine with autocad 2010 and saved it to a *.dwg. No words from Autodesk since AutoCAD 2008 is not supported any more.

Message 4 of 8
ampster402

no mention if you tried this,

try changing what opens .dwg files to "AutoCAD DWG Launcher" instead of plain acad.exe if that's what it is set to.

HTH

Message 5 of 8
cwt80

Did that work using AutoCAD 2010?

Message 6 of 8
jpcastiglioni
in reply to: ampster402

List of "NOT working" tried solutions:

Setting  DWG Launcher o acad.exe as (*.dwg) file default opener.

Uninstalling DWG Trueview.

Change in excel the version of de OLE object.

Change something in the registry (there was a solution for the same problem with trueview 2006 an autocad 2004 or something like that, changing a registry entry, but it doesn't work for cad 2008 / tv 2010).

And a few more than i can't recall 😛 sorry.

But, I didn't try reinstalling autocad, trueview and office all together, because it was much more trouble than install autocad 2010 in another machine and do the convertion there.

We still use autocad 2008 in all our machines because of compatibility issues with other softwars, and hardware limitations :S, so all who need to retrieve an embedded dwg on an excel file, goes to our AutoCAD 2010 machine.

Message 7 of 8
zalant

I realize that this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to make sure and add a link to another thread where we've tackled this issue.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-DWG-Format/Editing-Excel-2007-Embedded-Autocad-Drawi...

Please post back here or private message me with any questions about the solution.

Zac Travis
Message 8 of 8
jpcastiglioni
in reply to: zalant

Thanks, that worked for autocad 2008 modifying the 2007-2009 .reg to point towards itself instead of to 2013. It didn't work for autocad 2000i although.

Regards,

Juan Pablo.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report