DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

print pieces of a dwg file

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
starkjerry
5712 Views, 10 Replies

print pieces of a dwg file

I have no experience with autocad at all.

I have a .dwg file that contains a wiring schematic for my RV, which the mfg'r was nice enough to send me . My goal is to break the .dwg file up into 9 pieces that I could print and keepi n the RV.

I downloaded Autodesk autocad design suite free trial because it can handle Trueview files. I had loaded the .dwg file with autodesk, but it indicated something about not the Heidi driver cannot load and would use a default software driver. This was the dwgviewr.exe application in autodesk directory.  Using this I am able to open the file and view it. I can zoom in and out. I tried to print it and it shrunk the view to an unreadable blob. The schematic has horizontal section markers A to H and vertical section markers 1 to 10.  The horizonal numbers on the edges of the view go from -146 to 392 while the vertical numbers go from 1203 to 130 (leaving out the decimals). 

The output tab has Plot, Btach Plot, and Preview items which indicates to me that it thinks it is in a plot format?

I looked  up how to set a plot area and tried to set a window to of 264 x 775 in an attempt to create 9 sections which I could print on a printer. This was the one I hoped would be of the upper left corner. I sent it to a file with the extension of .plt(trueview's choice), with hopes of viewing it to see how it would look. I could not find anyway to view it. Autodesk could not find a file that did not have an extension other than .dwg.

Does anyone have any experience in trying to do this?

Any help would be appreciated. I do not know of another way to do this.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: starkjerry

Post your DWG file.

8-1/2 x 11 okay for the PDF's?

Message 3 of 11
starkjerry
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I have attached the file 38011139.dwg.

I tried insert but it saidit was an error. Hope this incudes it.

Message 4 of 11
Charles_Shade

See if these will do.

Might be too small to read

Message 5 of 11
starkjerry

Thanks,

Yes they are a little hard to read, a little bigger would be better. Its not that bad but my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Would it be possible to also make them slightly larger so they over lap each other. This would make it a lot easier to trace a signal line from one page to another page. It doesn't equire much overlap, maybe enough to tape them together.

How ever you did this I hope it didn't take too much of your time.

Message 6 of 11
Charles_Shade

No its pretty quick and I will make larger for you in the next couple days.

It may be 20-30 sheets when finished though. Might run out of alphabet.Smiley Wink

I did wonder if what I did would leave the lines not meeting one another.

This was done with using AutoCAD LT and the built in PDF driver. You could download a Trial of the Program and do the same just by creating a grid of the paper (8-1/2 x 11) over the schematic and using Print,(Plot Areae) Window to pick each corner of the grid.

Where the overlap comes is that each grid needs to be overlapping the other by some amount (1/2"?) to get a "full bleed" as they say.

Message 7 of 11
starkjerry

The print need to only slightly larger. 

Also when I look at the .dwg file some of the detail is shown in yellow. Can this be made a different color as it shows up very faint when printed on a non-color printer.

Thanks for the description of you did this. it sounds easier  to do.  Again I appreciate it.

Message 8 of 11
starkjerry

Are you still planning to remake the sheets for me.  I figured you must be busy or on vacation so I waited a while to ask. If not maybe I can work with the ones you made available before.

Message 9 of 11
Charles_Shade

Sorry got busy and forgot about this. Would you please click on my name and PM me with a link to this thread so I will get back to it
Message 10 of 11
starkjerry

I am not sure if you got what you needed. I gues you my previous message here. so I sent a link to this topic and hoped you would get it. evidently you are still busy or you never got what you asked for. Maybe I do not know what PM means? Not sure what to do next?

Message 11 of 11
Charles_Shade

I received the PM and have left it unread so that I would remember. I've been out of town on business for the last week and am trying to get caught up on my work.

You can do this if you download the Trial version of LT and use DWG to PDF. It might be faster for you.

Mostly you need to grid the plan so that you can pick points to print from. But the grids need to overlap so that you will get info across the margins.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report